advertisement

AI and human communication

We’ve had literally thousands of bots!

I had something (or would it be someone?) slightly more sophisticated in mind than a bot. I'd be interested in the AI's take on the impact of cables, for instance, or maybe it's perspective on what's in store for its creators.

Steve,

I understand the black box aspect of AI and it is an issue, but for some tasks knowing how the AI arrived at a decision may not matter. AI that diagnoses cancer accurately 100% of the time from X-ray images is incredibly useful even if we don't know what it's basing its diagnosis on.

But AI that is sentencing people ... yeah, I'd want to see the training data and know what exactly what the AI is doing!

Joe

This is where (in the UK and EU) the much-maligned GDPR can help. There's a provision in there which means it is unlawful for a person to be subject to 'automated decision making' and any decision made by a machine which has a legal, or similarly significant, effect on a person, can't be done wholly by computer and has to be subject to human review, and the person has the right to request that review take place. And it has to be a meaningful review, not just a glance at the file and a rubber stamp. .

I had something (or would it be someone?) slightly more sophisticated in mind than a bot. I'd be interested in the AI's take on the impact of cables, for instance, or maybe it's perspective on what's in store for its creators.

why dont you go and ask Bard or ChatGPT or your chosen AI. I would be interesting to compare responses

I’ve mentioned this previously in a similar thread but it’s worth repeating. Whatever limitations or abilities AI has, this is the shittiest it will ever be.

Joe

calvin goes after the present AI market..:

calvin%20-%20useless%20information.gif

AI generated music is now bonkers.

If we can keep this tech out of the hands of the French we might have a shot in Eurovision again :)

I see more people using it for sending emails in work situations. Once you've used ChatGPT a few times you can generally spot when people have copied it word for word.
As for losing the ability to communicate - yeah maybe. but that might have started before AI became prevalent. You see people just staring at their screen all the time when really they shouldn't be. I see people out for dinner and they're all like zombies. people can't even put them down to drive. I see so many people flicking their eyes down when i am out walking the dog. I'm guilty of changing since smartphones came out. I used to read so much fiction. I loved it. I read more than anyone i know. haven't read a book in years now.
230327.n.aiwritten.jpg

Whether we call it artificial intelligence or machine intelligence on some narrowly defined tasks clever 'puters are already better than humans, even highly trained ones. A student at work was able to show that AI was better than trained radiologists at diagnosing pneumonia from lung ultrasound data.

From https://lfpress.com/news/local-news...-in-lung-ultrasounds-bests-trained-physicians

“We were a little shocked. It had a perfect record of separating the COVID from the non-COVID pneumonia (ultrasounds),” said Robert Arntfield, a Lawson researcher and medical director of London Health Sciences Centre’s critical care trauma centre.​
“I’m willing to acknowledge that 100 per cent seems too good to be true, but in the science we’ve done and the way we’ve conducted it, it’s sufficiently strong that we’re very confident there’s a signal there, kind of like a QR code buried in the lungs that we can’t see but the computer vision can extract.”​

The doctor on the study was just floored.

Joe
The point is that is not intelligence at all. What it is is a tribute to the programmers and the inability of a machine to get bored or distracted.

The point is that is not intelligence at all. What it is is a tribute to the programmers and the inability of a machine to get bored or distracted.
How ever you wish to define it, it some areas AI is going to be and is being awesome and better than humans.

In many other areas its going fugging destroy us.

One upside I see is that we can forget the internet moving forward. There will need to be an internet 2.0, hopefully we can start again better this time :)

It's not really a programmer thing though. Nobody sat down and wrote some code to "do intelligence" or figured out how human intelligence worked and built something to copy that.

It's more emergent behaviour that comes from several trillion connected, weighted nodes driven by environmental stimulus that seems magical because how it works is implicit in such a vast combinatorial space that our brains cannot comprehend how it might work. The complete absence of meta-physics makes this very different from how human intelligence works.

It's not really a programmer thing though. Nobody sat down and wrote some code to "do intelligence" or figured out how human intelligence worked and built something to copy that.

It's more emergent behaviour that comes from several trillion connected, weighted nodes driven by environmental stimulus that seems magical because how it works is implicit in such a vast combinatorial space that our brains cannot comprehend how it might work. The complete absence of meta-physics makes this very different from how human intelligence works.

If your definition of "programmer" is stupidly wide enough, it kind-of is. Most machine learning is back-propagation algorithms isn't it?

Back when everyone was into PDP, the physical similarities between the switches in those systems and human synapses were often remarked, until Jerry Fodor, or someone, pointed out that this was a category error.

There is a very sginificant bit of memristor-based technology research where several major chip manufacturers are either researching or beginning to implement massively parallel devices which sorta mimic the brain.

advertisement

Back