advertisement

Advice on closed back headphones

ian1948

Good morning all. It’s many years since I bought and used headphones. But I’m now thinking that I need some partly because my hi-fi and the tv are both in the same living room! Obviously I’ve lost touch with products and the markets so I’m asking for help, advice, experiences and recommendations please. I’d prefer a set of closed back over ear headphones really just to be used on my hi-fi which isn’t blue tooth enabled so I guess it’s a wired set.
Might be helpful if I briefly list my kit. Naim CDX and Cambridge CXN V2 into a Naim NAC 102 and NAPSC 2 with an Avondale APX 2. This feeds into Naim NAP 140 and into Naim Credos. There’s also a Rega Ear 2 in there.
I listen to a varied 4k collection of albums ranging from typical guitar-based groups through acoustic and electronic stuff to a small amount of classical.
My budget is around £150ish give or take and think that either new or better quality second hand should provide the answer. I’ve thought about 2nd hand Shure SRH1540 new Shure SRH840 and something from Austrian Audio. But obviously there are loads more to choose from.
Help please!!

They've gone up from £99 yesterday to £119 today. You might get away with the 250 ohm set with the Rega Ear but 80 ohm would be easier to drive and more usable in different situations.

I use Beyer DT 700 Pro X and can highly recommend them (having moved from Sennheiser HD600).
They are above your budget new, but maybe within secondhand.

I can absolutely recommend Shure 1540 - I’ve just bought a pair from eBay and can confirm great sound quality with excellent isolation. Also easy to drive and very comfortable. Mine were £155.

DT770s are pretty comfortable and in budget. Being closed back the sound will be more 'coloured' than open backs of course
I can't concur with that I'm afraid. Nearly every open backed headphone is significantly light in the bass and in my opinion that's an unacceptable diversion from accuracy. There are closed back headphones that are objectively as flat through the mids as open backs and don't give up bass response for it.

The very headphones you suggest are a case in point, here's their frequency response (as per reference to the Harman curve):

Compare that to the nearly £1500 Sennheiser HD 800 S:

Of course which anybody prefers is a totally different thing.

I can't concur with that I'm afraid. Nearly every open backed headphone is significantly light in the bass and in my opinion that's an unacceptable diversion from accuracy. There are closed back headphones that are objectively as flat through the mids as open backs and don't give up bass response for it.
Yes, you do get the bass that's the advantage.

I would definitely look at the Sennheiser HD range - 600, 650, 660, Massdrop equivalents as you could probably get any of these either new or used with your budget. If you prefer a bit more punch and a more open sound, perhaps try the Philips X2 or X3 which I have enjoyed in the past.

advertisement

Back