advertisement

Advice for next camera please?

Jay_bird

New to photo forum. Looking to potentially update my main camera, I was hoping the knowledgeable amongst you can advise based on my needs :

Currently own an Olympus OMD e-m10 MK1 which I like for it's pocket size and great features. It just doesn't take top notch images, compared with full sized sensor SLRs.

I tend to photograph sport, eg rugby and Motorsport, family or social grab shots, wildlife, car shows - so generally moving targets but portraits sometimes and plenty of travel landscapes / cityscapes.

It's important that the camera is compact and portable so will accept some compromise on image quality but just want the next best.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, I am looking at used or Nearly new, which of course is the sustainable way! So over £500 might be hard to justify to the domestic budget police unless it's a really great deal

Was considering an EM5 MK2 or possibly MK3, I think an EM1 MK2 might be too bulky. Pen-f looks pricey for what you get. I just have doubts if the 4/3 format is worth sticking with.

Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.

Welcome, Jay. I had to Google your camera. and it looks like this is an interchangeable lens camera. The answer sort of depends on much are already invested in the system? i.e. how many lenses do you have?

Thanks both. There is a trade off between sensor and body size, I can see Fuji are highly rated with their format which is compact on say the XT-20 but heard that they aren't so good for action? May be nonsense so that's why I was looking for public opinion.
The camera came with 2 kit lenses, which could easily be sold on used with the camera itself if I changed brand - or kept if I remained loyal. I also see that Olympus M4/3 lenses would work with Lumix 4/3 so there is a degree of flexibility.

Thanks both. There is a trade off between sensor and body size, I can see Fuji are highly rated with their format which is compact on say the XT-20 but heard that they aren't so good for action? May be nonsense so that's why I was looking for public opinion.
The camera came with 2 kit lenses, which could easily be sold on used with the camera itself if I changed brand - or kept if I remained loyal. I also see that Olympus M4/3 lenses would work with Lumix 4/3 so there is a degree of flexibility.

Having extensively used the X series cameras and had an EM-Mk2 on loan for a couple of weeks, the EM1-Mk2 IMHO has much better tracking for moving subjects - The Fuji's excel on static subjects, but most of their lenses are getting on the bulky side as well. That said you can use the Fuji's for fast moving subjects but it becomes more challenging (motorsport less so, rugby definitely challenging) and their long focal length glass is neither lightweight nor cheap!

The Panasonics are potentially an interesting choice as their 4K/6K Photo options, allow you to pull a fairly decent sized still from effectively a video sequence. The resolution of these images isn't huge but more than good enough for sharing/intagram/etc. But will fall apart if you want to print big.

Although the lenses are compatible between the M4/3 systems, not all stabilistaion modes will work wif you mix anjd match bodies.

The Olympus systems are very nicely designed cameras but as you say are a little limiting in terms of image quality due sensor size. Full frame is obviously brilliant but the bodies and lenses are huge. Best compromise is APSC which opens up systems like the Fuji X-series but also a number of DSLR's.

My suggestion with your budget is that you go for a secondhand Pentax K3 Mk1 or Mk2. Stunning 24 megapixel image quality, gorgeously made, fully weathersealed, all magnesium body, awesome ergonomics and 'feel' plus some stunning and compact lens choices. You're getting better build quality than a pro-level £2500 Canon EOS 7D/5D or Nikon D800 for £379 ish. The Pentax lens range has some really great budget options that are compact and lightweight (70-300 zoom) plus of course the simply gorgeous Pentax Limited Prime's which are built with all metal barrels and have Leica-like image quality and build.

There's an American soldier who shot some incredible images with the Pentax K5 and K3 in Iraq who also made a video to show just how rugged and well built Pentax DSLR's are:

The big advantages of the Pentax prosumer range over Fuji and Sony are ergonomics/speed/user interface friendliness. The big advantages of them over Canon and Nikon is build quality/compact lenses and bodies/in body stabilisation/the lens range with their unique very compact limited primes - for more on these:
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/limited_lens/da_limited/

If you're the kind of person who is very tactile and loves great ergonomics and feel, for example you take delight in the 'feel' of the tuning dial on a vintage analogue tuner or who adores mechanical watches then you're the kind of person that will 'get' what Pentax are doing. In many ways they are the poor man's Leica. I have a Fuji X-E3 and frankly it's a heap of crap compared to my Pentax K3 -for handling, ergonomics and image quality.

Birdseed

A

As you have some experience and investment in the Olympus range go and explore the range further. There is a very good forum that has an active trading section where you can trade up and bypass the cost of swapping systems.
The forum is a very useful source of information.
https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/About
Do not believe the comments re small format size.

There's a lot of mileage in the M43 systems. I am very happy with my Lumix system. I would trade up within the Olympus system if were you.

advertisement

Back