advertisement

Adding a pre-out to a nac

chrisallan

Go on - bodge it!
Has anyone tried adding an extra pre-out to a nac? I have a 42.5 and could do with an output controlled by the volume pot to send to another power amp.

ericallan,

No, I haven't done that, but instead of modifying the 42.5, you could just drive it with a *cap and instantly get a few more outputs (all of which are controlled by the volume pot). Plus you get the significant advantage of not driving pre from the amp, if that's what you are doing now.

cheers

Dan

I was considering buying the older version of the Avondale psu second-hand but it sounds like it doesn't handle the signal, just power. Yes - I am powering from the power amp at the moment but have a serious shortage of £££ at the moment - is there a cheap way?

Yes there is a cheap way.

In a hicap, all the signal outs are just wired in parallel.
So - just make yourself a Y lead, with the output connectors
wired in parallel at the input end.
Sorry for the terse message - just flown back from san francisco
and am feeling rather knackered.

Jim.

(Obviously) the tape connectors have an audio out capability, though not controlled by the preamp volume.

Thanks for the parallel leads suggestion. I thought of it but was worried that it might affect the load on the pre-amp etc (don't know too much about these things). Is the output halved for each line-out?

Just a thought - are the line outputs from the hi-cap socket live on the pre-amp (Im using a 42.5). I understand that the power outputs are bypassed with the temporary plug in, but are the other pins still able to output the line level source?
Thanks

a) do a cable with the link plug functionality (ie two pins connected together) and connect to the other power amp.

or

b) If the other poweramp is a Naim and would be on all the time you were listening, then you could always arrange things so that the other power rail was supplied by the second power amp...

advertisement

Back