advertisement

Adam Fischer conducts Mozart in Denmark

George J

Herefordshire member
Symphonies 25 in G Minor [The Little G Minor], 36 in C [The Linz] and 40 in G Minor!

All live broadcasts, and golly one could wish for the same forces to make fully finished studio recordings on this evidence.

I was given the chance to listen to these today.

For me Adam Fischer is the conductor of the great Nimbus series of Haydn Symphonies, but here he shows just how he could stir great Danish orchestral musicians to the highest degree of Mozartian performance. Not smooth - as Karajan - but intense like Klemperer, though not as recklessly fast as as the great German!

But still incredibly driven and full of delightful clarified musical balances.

Maybe Bohm is more civil, but you should not cross your arms listening to Mozart Symphonies - you should be compelled by the music.

I have come across many Danish performances of the classics that seem to exibit an open-ness to risk taking even in the “classical repertoire” that makes me think that Copenhagen offers quite as much quality as Berlin, Vienna or London ...

I have'nt heard any of them (yet), but he has recorded 45 Symphonies with the Danish National CO, and the notes include his description of his approach as 'operatic' which sounds appealing, to me anyway.

Does the Danish radio station in question have an accessible archive, like i-player?

I think these were re-broadcast on BBC Radio Three, and a friend of mine knowing my enthusiasm for Adam Fischer’s performances of Haydn Symphonies recorded them for me.

I very much hope a commercial release follows. Sound like the complete Mozart Symphonies are recorded, and a commercial release of them would be much welcomed here.

On the approach, I am not sure how to describe it, at least not really operatic. But the phrasing is wonderful the tempi are consistently well chosen for clarity and forward momentum in balance, and there is a flexibility that may come as a surprise to those too wedded to modern HIP performances that go too fast with a literally metronomic approach to pulse.

And the Danes really can play!

Here is to hoping the complete set may come out, or even finished studio recordings. I would enjoy either or even both!

ATB from George

Update: There is a commercial release, of what I assume are studio recordings!

Only £36 so next month, ready for the Winter evenings!!!

ATB from George

advertisement

Back