advertisement

Active monitor vs Nait 2 + Q 3020

guybat

[+]
I need a small light desk system, as I'm moving around a lot. Active monitors are an obvious choice - Fostex PM0.4d, Yamaha HS5, or Adam F5 etc - but I also have a Nait 2 sitting unused in the UK. Has anyone directly compared any of these active monitors against a separates system like a Nait with something like Q 3020 speakers?

I need a small light desk system, as I'm moving around a lot. Active monitors are an obvious choice - Fostex PM0.4d, Yamaha HS5, or Adam F5 etc - but I also have a Nait 2 sitting unused in the UK. Has anyone directly compared any of these active monitors against a separates system like a Nait with something like Q 3020 speakers?

Go for a pair of Epos ES11s and pair it with your Nait 2. Will be a wonderfully musical combo (I've tried it), though they are a bit bigger than the active monitors on your list.

The Q Acoustics monitors are very compact and fun and may also be a good match with your Nait 2

I'm sure Epos speakers would sound great, but they'd be oversized for a desktop. I need something no bigger than say around 20x20x30cm.

It's more a question of how much if any a separates system with the Nait would be over a pair of active monitors.

In the last few years i tried few active monitors for my desktop - KRK Rokit 5, Yamaha HS7, Adam A5X and Neumann KH120. They all sounds to bright for me.
I have returned all of them, maybe Neumann was the best and closest to good hifi.
To beat something like Nait2 + Epos11s is very hard.
Something like small active ATC or Geithain are better, but much more expensive.
During one hifi exhibition last year i was very impressed by Genelec with dsp correction.

Genelec would be the obvious choice here. I have Adam Compact Classic actives in one system and a Nait-2 with AVI Neutron IVs in the second. The first system has way more dynamic range, detail and precision, but the Nait-2 system lacks for nothing in listenability and has that 'je ne sais quoi' quality that only good Naits seem to have :)

Or sell the Nait and buy an Amptastic and speakers and pocket the change. The amptastic is tiny - remarkable sound in my lad's bedroom.

Nait 2 + 2010i or 2020i, desktop heaven.

I have owned the amptastic, lovely little amp but the nait is on another level i feel, hold onto it.

Thanks all - Genelecs and the APS Klasik (particularly) would both be great, but are on another price level.

I'm really trying to get whether £200-£300 small active speakers have much pro/con to ~£200 small speakers with the Nait. Actives have the advantage of simplicity, so it's more a question of whether separates still have a sonic advantage.

It's tempting to flog the Nait and get some pricier actives, but I've had it a long time...

Guy,

It is written: All who sell a Nait 2 live to regret it.

A Nait 2 can be bettered, but it really is a great, little amp. Think of it as Rollei. It's too cool to not have.

Joe

Keep the Nait 2, I regret selling mine. I had a Nait 1 as a desk amp once but depending on desk size, it's still pretty large. Get a used Musical Fidelity V90 Amp (with USB DAC) for £75-100 and partner with some original Monitor Audio R90s for £70-90. Drive volume from your PC using the bypass switch for the pre-amp on the V90 (transforms the sound). A slice of the high-end for peanuts.

advertisement

Back