advertisement

Acoustic Tube DAC II verses Audio Research DAC 8

music4nusic

pfm Member
OK guys and before so many of you shout at me its "my ears so you decide!" please bear me out here ok.

I am appealing to the experience and the masses and to those of you who might have first hand knowledge of the above 2 DACS. Im not in a position to A-B both of them. In fact I may not be in a position to home dem either! I have wanted a good DAC to replace the DAC element of the head phone amp Im currently using to playback my PC music files and thats a Sennheiser HDVD800. It does a great job for what it is but I want more. More openness, more air more everything.

I have read a lot about the above 2 DACS and they seem to hold a lot of respect in the world of HIFI. I would like to invite all of you (those wiling) to give me your open and honest opinion based on your knowledge of these 2 DACS and not necessarily how you feel I should be going about the selection of my final decision. Also, I have been finding it difficult to understand the difference between the AA Tube DAC II and the Same version with the SE addition?

Opinion, knowledge, advice guidance... please jump in here with all your offerings but for those of you with little else to do that damn me for the limitations life places upon the ability to home demo and A-B these babies....yes I already know.

Thank you to all those PFM members who are willing to help me move forward here.

Regards to all.

I am taking it you mean the Accustic Arts DAC? If so I own one a 2008 non USB version. I think it sounds sublime BUT this is entirely down to what valves you use. It is the most sensitive product I have owned as far as tube rolling is concerned which makes it great for tailoring to a sound that suits you. I settled with a pair of Mullard CV4004s which give a smooth, rich very analogue presentation. They are not cheap but worth every penny to my ears. One the reviews as I remember mentions that the treble can be a little bright on this DAC but the Mullards remove any sign of that. I have yet to hear a DAC that I would change it for, I also have the Drive I transport which was a real eye opener performance wise. I'm not sure what the SE enhancements are other than improved components. I would love to hear the current SE. The AA kit is extremely solid and well made (its German so what do you expect). I would highly recommend it . I've not heard a DAC8 unfortunately.

Where are you based?

I am taking it you mean the Accustic Arts DAC? If so I own one a 2008 non USB version. I think it sounds sublime BUT this is entirely down to what valves you use. It is the most sensitive product I have owned as far as tube rolling is concerned which makes it great for tailoring to a sound that suits you. I settled with a pair of Mullard CV4004s which give a smooth, rich very analogue presentation. They are not cheap but worth every penny to my ears. One the reviews as I remember mentions that the treble can be a little bright on this DAC but the Mullards remove any sign of that. I have yet to hear a DAC that I would change it for, I also have the Drive I transport which was a real eye opener performance wise. I'm not sure what the SE enhancements are other than improved components. I would love to hear the current SE. The AA kit is extremely solid and well made (its German so what do you expect). I would highly recommend it . I've not heard a DAC8 unfortunately.

Where are you based?

I really appreciate your reply, thank you. Forgive me, yes indeed I meant to quote Accustic Arts DAC. I am based in west sussex near Gatwick. I cant find any outlet that can let me hear one and hence my dilemma. I do love German engineering both mechanical and electronic. My Set up is an Musical Fidelity Primo Pre amp (valved) which is beautiful. I bi amp using MF 8700 mono blocks to the base and an AMS50(MF) to the top end of B&W 802 diamonds. I seek to achieve realism as opposed to a specific tonal quality so air and transparency is important to me. My main source is vinyl but im using the lap top through my little headphone amp/dac more and more and its taking over from the CD player and hence my desire to step up what I can achieve from a good DAC. Your comments are engaging me in deep thought as the comments I have located about the A-Arts DAC online concur with yours and excite me. Ive heard a few DACS (quite costly ones) which simply dont give anything more than what Im getting now from the little Schennizer Im using. Please feel free to add anything more which you think would be good to know. Kind Regards, C

MODS....any chance of a little assistance and amending my title to "Accustic Arts Tube DAC II verses Audio Research DAC 8"

Appreciated.

My main source was vinyl but since getting the AA is pretty much 50/50. It has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of digital replay. I am also using a laptop and a Gustard U12 USB convertor via the AES/EBU input into a Modwright pre/power.

If you travel north up the M1 MK/Northants at any time in the future please feel free to PM me if you fancy a listen.

My main source was vinyl but since getting the AA is pretty much 50/50. It has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of digital replay.

If you travel north up the M1 MK/Northants at any time in the future please feel free to PM me if you fancy a listen.

Extremely kind of you and I do travel the M1 Northbound often. Ill stay in touch and if the offer remains open id be very grateful. Regards C

advertisement

Back