advertisement

A60 speaker connectors

clive7164

pfm Member
Hi, am in the process of setting up a system for my daughter,CJ Walker deck/linn lvv arm/A&R cart-A60 amp -Heybrook HB2 speakers. As the amp is an old A60 it has got the te old style 5 pin type phono sockets (I have leads for these) and also the old type speaker sockets. Can any one tell me if i can buy adaptor leads/plugs to go to "normal" speaker cables. If not is it down to fitting (in my case getting someone to do it) new items on the rer panel. Any ideas would be helpful thanks Clive Smith

Clive, the sockets on the A60 should accept standard 4mm ("banana") plugs. The ones sold by RS are cheap and easy to solder to reasonably-sized cable.

Actually, the A60s pre-1978 came with those 'orrible 2-pin Din speaker sockets. They were eventually replaced with 4mm 5-way sockets and the amp became known as the A60E, e for 'export'. The easiest way to get the banana sockets in would probably be to remove the Din ones and solder on the requisite jacks in a fly-lead fashion.

I once tried stuffing bare stranded wire into Din speaker sockets (on an early Nytech 252XD); a few strands of wire shorted across the amp outputs and the output transistors fried in a puff of acrid smoke.

hi Clive,
is it that you feel you can't get the plugs anymore or you just don't like em.
If the plugs you want are one round pin and one flat pin I have a pair here.
They are moulded on to a short length of thin speaker cable.
yours if you want them.
[email protected]

dogrun.gif

Thanks for all the advice,I have managed to source the said connectors(they are the stupid round pin and bar ones) and had a brainwave and split some heybrook heywire cable i had into two as its realy thin stuff. I cant believe how good this amp and Heybrook HB2 speakers sound for 1978 stuff. My daughter is over the moon. P>S> thanks for the e mail les, I will post some thoughts on the AAA5 now its been run in for 3-4 months when I can find adequate words Clive Smith

advertisement

Back