advertisement

A tribute to Cliff

Guy, will do. I still remember you with the two rolleis!

As for what type of camera, whatever you want, film, digital, or instant, it matters not! I'll probably bring something faintly ridiculous that might be of interest.

I really wish I could make it. I'll raise a glass on this side of the pond tomorrow in remembrance. Post pics pls. of the camera table and puzzled onlookers.

I can't make it either but let me raise a glass here across the pond and say, "To Cliff, a decent bloke who is very much missed."

Joe

I would have loved to come as well but a new arrival in the family means I can't. I'll also raise a glass to Uncle Cliff this evening.

I only met Cliff once (in a pub) but he was a great chap - I can`t get there tonight but I will raise a glass to him.

What happened yesterday?

I was in the Market Porter at about 2 mins past 6. The place was packed. Not a camera in sight. No one or group of people (all sober at that stage) looked anything like pfmers.

Nevertheless I asked suspects from time to time. Sometimes I enquired: "pfm?"

At other times: "CliffPat?"

These attempts were dealt with politely. Upon one occasion I was told "I don't understand what you are talking about".

Shortly before half past 6 a fellow with a camera walked into the pub. I asked him. No luck.

I hung aeround till after 6:30. Then left.

I have learned my lesson. Next time if we are meeting at 6 I will come at 7, if at 7 I will come at 8:30, and if at 8 I'll leave home at midnight.

Also I would suggest a quieter venue, and one where someone can arrive on time with some recognizable form of ID- such as a face mask with a fish coloured pink.

I raised a glass to Cliff- when I got back home.

Ah, sorry about that. I got there about 6.10 and Pete about 5 minutes after me. Cesare and firestorm arrived a bit later. I was keeping eyes open for anybody else who looked lost but didn't spot you. The Market Porter is always very busy but we chose it because it's where almost all the PFM meetups happened, it was one of Cliff's regular haunts. So it seemed appropriate.

Some beer was drunk, some pictures taken (not by me). Cesare brought his Mamiya ZD as an example of a quintessentially Cliffesque camera (large, expensive, fun), and hopefully he got a few pictures.

We'll do it again some time and try to organise it better for unfamiliar faces to find people.

Oh dear, that's annoying. I got there at 6:15, and joined Pete and Ian. I left my rather obvious camera on the table when I arrived, and it stayed there all evening. I actually aimed for 6:00, but had a support call on the way (home, not work!).

Here's one of Pete with the mentioned Mamiya ZD. This is with their old manual focus 80/1.9, which is about as quick it gets for a standard medium format lens. The shot was 1/40th, f1.9 @ ISO400, which is the maximum ISO the camera supports ;-)

MMFC2009 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

Sorry we missed you Eguth, the place was heaving, beer and chat was good. There are plenty of pubs in the area that are quieter.

It was great to catch up with you, sample the local ales and of course a discourse in a very nerdy/technical subject on cars/motorbikes/photography/cycles/hifi etc ...

As an addendum, I just got my latest photo box, equipped with a foveon sensor.

advertisement

Back