advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reality has got to catch up one day? Surely?
That was in the small print about the period of adjustment as we move to a high wage, high skill economy.
A*se adequately covered for subsequent adverse reactions there.

Life was simple when I was a kid
Conservatives good
Labour bad
Courtesy of my Express buying parents

Slightly different views on both now

Britain Trump is on stage lying away right now. It is clear from the reaction in the hall that the Conservative Party has successfully fully transitioned into an alt-right Tea Party-clone. There is no moderate conservative Conservative Party anymore, it is as dead as Labour, this is pure Trump/Putin/Farage-grade hard-right popularism.

The ease with which he lies is fully Trumpian https://twitter.com/AdamJSchwarz/status/1445706809717641227

As with Trump, he has had a lifetime of practice and he continues to practice every single day so it is no wonder that he is so good at lying.

We can only look on in horror.

Sunak's speech was the one people should keep in mind, Johnson's speech was just someone farting into a microphone for the media to talk about. Trivial rubbish. Sunak stood there and told the biggest and boldest bare-faced lies about everything he is charged with addressing. Every last thing he said was a complete lie.
He lied about 'borrowing' money and pretending this puts the British people into debt. Instead of waving all those big numbers about why doesn't he hop into his chauffeur-driven car and schedule a chat with the chairman of the Bank of England about no longer issuing any debt and letting it expire once the last round has matured? Or just repurchasing the lot and be done with it immediately? Then it would just go away and no one needs to wring their hands about 'public (treasury) debt' ever again. He could do that. He may know or not know. If he knows then he's an economic terrorist as well as a liar.

The amazing figures showing how even modest growth was reversed when the Tories were elected under Cameron-Clegg should alarm the f*ck out of people, but it won't. The George Osborne cutting schedule arrested then reversed the course of recovery away from the trajectory put in place by the 'recovery package'. This stabilised it, the next move would have been to maintain that as the only existing sector among the sectoral balances left in that position to effect it. Instead they chose austerity, to shrink their deficit on the wholly incoherent view that this somehow 'pays down debt'. Because people still think 'public debt' is something accrued by even non-discretionary deficit expansion. The public are sadly unschooled on this and so are many people charged with dealing with it. The country ought to be afraid.

And so Sunak stood there and basically said that he was going to do the same thing as Osborne. He also said a totally contradictory thing: that the Tories would do 'whatever it takes' to save people from ruination....but he still proposed the same solution as Osborne. And people clapped in that hall. Some newspapers and right-wing periodicals thought it was correct and lots of people in the population seemed to think it was probably good because that evil debt mountain (gilt-edged securities sold to rich people for their portfolios, using money borrowed from the bank of England) will be dealt with. Because he said the equivalent of: I'm going to save you from drowning, by taking away your life-jacket. They clapped that moronic horseshit.

F*cking Nora.

Last edited:
Sunak's speech was the one people should keep in mind, Johnson's speech was just someone farting into a microphone for the media to talk about. Trivial rubbish. Sunak stood there and told the biggest and boldest bare-faced lies about everything he is charged with addressing. Every last thing he said was a complete lie.
He lied about 'borrowing' money and pretending this puts the British people into debt. Instead of waving all those big numbers about why doesn't he hop into his chauffeur-driven car and schedule a chat with the chairman of the Bank of England about no longer issuing any debt and letting it expire once the last round has matured? Or just repurchasing the lot and be done with it immediately? Then it would just go away and no one needs to wring their hands about 'public debt' ever again. He could do that. He may know or not know. If he knows then he's an economic terrorist as well as a liar.

The amazing figures showing how even modest growth was reversed when the Tories were elected under Cameron-Clegg should alarm the f*ck out of people, but it won't. The George Osborne cutting schedule arrested then reversed the course of recovery away from the trajectory put in place by the 'recovery package'. This stabilised it, the next move would have been to maintain that as the only existing sector among the sectoral balances left in that position to effect it. Instead they chose austerity, to shrink their deficit on the wholly incoherent view that this somehow 'pays down debt'. Because people still think 'public debt' is something accrued by even non-discretionary deficit expansion. The public are sadly unschooled on this and so are many people charged with dealing with it. The country ought to be afraid.

And so Sunak stood there and basically said that he was going to do the same thing as Osborne. He also said a totally contradictory thing: that the Tories would do 'whatever it takes' to save people from ruination....but he still proposed the same solution as Osborne. And people clapped in that hall. Some newspapers and right-wing periodicals thought it was correct and lots of people in the population seemed to think it was probably good because that evil debt mountain (gilt-edged securities sold to rich people for their portfolios, using money borrowed from the bank of England) will be dealt with. Because he said the equivalent of: I'm going to save you from drowning, by taking away your life-jacket. They clapped that moronic horseshit.

F*cking Nora.

I know nothing about economics -- I didn't do economics at school, my first degree was in maths and philosophy, a long time ago and the maths certainly is almost all forgotten. So I can't engage with you about this. But you're so clear that you're right that it's made me curious to find out more. Can you point me in the direction of something to read or listen to?

I know nothing about economics -- I didn't do economics at school, my first degree was in maths and philosophy, a long time ago and the maths certainly is almost all forgotten. So I can't engage with you about this. But you're so clear that you're right that it's made me curious to find out more. Can you point me in the direction of something to read or listen to?
I'm making an effort for you. This is rock-bottom basic stuff, but it's good. Especially the first book. I bought it in 2012 at expensive textbook prices...you're having it for free! :D

Edit - 2nd link was dead, so I replaced with something else. Forget the first section of the book unless you're interested in recent econ history, just see the outline of macroecon.

https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.p...dc9a8d382ce2613b7770a42ba7a9f&u=cache&ext=pdf
https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.p...4354f04938a6011bca41cd6cb037b&u=cache&ext=pdf

I caught ‘highlights’ of the Johnson speech. The audience looked uneasy, it was Guyana vintage Jim Jones. I’ve never heard anything like it..

I'm making an effort for you. This is rock-bottom basic stuff, but it's good. Especially the first book. I bought it in 2012 at expensive textbook prices...you're having it for free! :D

Edit - 2nd link was dead, so I replaced with something else. Forget the first section of the book unless you're interested in recent econ history, just see the outline of macroecon.

https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.p...dc9a8d382ce2613b7770a42ba7a9f&u=cache&ext=pdf
https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.p...4354f04938a6011bca41cd6cb037b&u=cache&ext=pdf

Much appreciated.

I caught ‘highlights’ of the Johnson speech. The audience looked uneasy, it was Guyana vintage Jim Jones. I’ve never heard anything like it..

I thought what he said today was actually wicked, in the sense that it may cause evil things to be done. He said that we had got rid of the low cost workers who had been driving wages and living conditions down. Presumably British employers were desperate to pay more but the damned cheap foreign labour insisted on being paid minimum wage.

Also a joke about beavers building "without local authority permission" har! har! So, a knowing wink to big developers that they can safely ignore planning departments and building standards. Has he forgotten Grenfell already? Or Persimmon building houses that are not safe to live in?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48113301

I thought what he said today was actually wicked, in the sense that it may cause evil things to be done. He said that we had got rid of the low cost workers who had been driving wages and living conditions down. Presumably British employers were desperate to pay more but the damned cheap foreign labour insisted on being paid minimum wage.

The problem is he, like those remaining in his party, has close to zero business experience. These aren’t the mill-owners or industrialists* of the Tory Party of old, they are their lazy spoiled fat trust-fund descendants who have never had to do anything other than spend the family wealth or bounce it around some off-shore tax havens. They are just clueless parasites. Why there isn’t rioting on the streets baffles me. These people do not represent ‘working people’, I doubt many of them have even met one.

*Yes, I do realise the industrial revolution was largely built on the wealth generated via human trafficking, slavery and imperialism, but that’s all a Tory thing too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back