advertisement

A thread for less well known composers. No.1, Cecil Coles

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
Radio 3 has recently presented some British composers new to me. I know we've discussed them individually elsewhere and I wondered if a thread to collect them might be good.

Last night another "why have I never heard of him" experience on R3, for the commemoration of The Somme.
Cecil Coles, the Scottish composer and conductor who worked in Stuttgart Opera as a young assistant conductor before returning to Britain only to be killed in WW1 rescuing wounded comrades aged 29.
I've ordered this-

2vc7peq.jpg

They played Cortège from it and it was rather fine. A nod with sad irony, to Brahms Deutsches Requiem in there

Listening to his Four Verlaine Songs. A Slumber Vast and Black- and that sadly is what he got in the trenches.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
At the moment I am listening to Alan Rawsthorne's String Quartet No.1 (Naxos 8.570136) played by the outstanding Maggini Quartet. I highly recommend Rawsthorne's music. Although fairly modern in never lacks essential tunefulness. The Naxos series of his music is wonderful at a very modest cost. (The Maggini recordings on Naxos are also highly recommended).

There are many other lesser known English composers that I could recommend as well, since I have a particular fondness for 20th century English music (and earlier).

I suppose this thread is not limited to lesser know English composers? I would be interested to hear suggestions form other nations.

Mark

advertisement

Back