advertisement

A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano

david marks

Great news! For those of you who were unable to acquire a copy of A Romance on Three Legs, by my friend, Katie Hafner, it’s being reprinted and released to bookstores and online vendors, including Amazon. I am re-posting my review, and let me tell you all, this is a hell of a read. I can’t tell you how happy this makes me.
*There are times in life when books and passions coalesce, as if perfectly divine universes marry, becoming one. Katie Hafner's Romance on Three Legs is such a union. Glenn Gould, the idol of my youth, the incarnation of everything Bach, and more, found his piano, his sole companion. Gould's reveting quest for his piano is explored, magically, in Katie's spell binding book, which reads like the smoothest dialogue, and for those who love a terrific mystery, you don't have to be a Gould lover to adore this read. I only put it down twice, each, to turn out my light to sleep.
Never mind the stuffed shirts and the concert hall etiquette and attire, the musings of all in attendance, saddle your gear, and ready yourselves for an old fashioned yarn, rife with imagination and resolve. Get ready to meet Gould's friend, a nearly blind piano tuner, who, with the spirited knowledge of a wizard incarnate, takes Gould's hand and leads him to his promised land.*

advertisement

Back