advertisement

A Reference Quality Integrated From Naim?

ryder

pfm Member
I've just posted a thread on Naim asking if they have any plans in coming up with a reference integrated amp. Any thoughts from non-Naim users, or any other recommendations other than Rega Osiris, Lavardin IT etc. ? Post is as below.

Currently Naim have categorised the quality of components based on series. The lowest i-series, the mid-end XS series, high-end Classic series and reference 500 series.

The integrated amps currently available are the Nait 5i-2, Nait XS and Supernait. The pattern of a "higher-range" amplifier seems to be focused on a more powerful amp.The least powerful amp seems to sit at the bottom of the hierarchy as far as "quality" is concerned.

552/500 > 252/300 > 282/250.2 > 202/200 > Supernait > Nait XS > Nait 5i

Of course there is flexibility in matching components if power is not an issue, for instance 552/200. Nevertheless, I was wondering about the line of integrateds. There have been mixed receptions on the Supernait vs Nait XS ( or the Nait 5i) as there doesn't seem to be a consensus on a better or higher quality integrated that rules it all.

Outside of Naim, there are a handful of high-quality integrated amps available that may cost more than Naim's mid-level separates. I was just wondering if Naim have any plans in coming up with a reference integrated that is based on a modest power output of say 40W to 50W. A reference level integrated that does not need an external power supply(although it is within Naim's philosophy that an external PSU is necessary for higher quality sound reproduction) or any add-ons such as DAC or phono module etc. Just a pure and simple integrated amp all in one box, a reference one for that matter.

Personally I think it is worth investigating this option as not everyone uses demanding power-hungry speakers. Those with high efficiency or easy-to-drive speakers will be equally at home with puny little integrateds. And I believe some folks prefer a neat one-box solution than multiple boxes sitting on the rack in their homes. A matter of priorities.

Any thoughts? If there isn't any plan in coming up with this elusive amp, I believe the Nait 5i would be the next best choice. :)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Its for your second system right? And you want a one box solution right?

How about the Naim unitiqute? It comes with the source inside the box as well. With Nait 5i you will still end up with more than one box :)

I am hoping that Naim comes out with a source with preamp function. They have one of such product now, but I was hoping that they will release one at the NDS level. This product will then compete head on with the Linn kds/1.

I saw the Linn Kiko system at Global Audio as well, but I had not listen to it. Not sure if you will fancy it.

Power supplies are a terrific cash cow. I don't see a reference quality integrated any time. The little XS is a nice amp as was the old Nait 2. I wouldn't worry, there are some better alternatives if you do a bit of auditioning.

Power supplies are a terrific cash cow. I don't see a reference quality integrated any time. The little XS is a nice amp as was the old Nait 2. I wouldn't worry, there are some better alternatives if you do a bit of auditioning.

Good, good. Let's have some names and model numbers please...

It depends on whether prestige or performance is the priority here. The Supernait is scarily good and you would have to go a long way up the Naim range of multiboxes to get anything that is significantly better. I was a long way through a demo of some very high end speakers before I realised that the source was a Supernait and not the 500 series stuff on the same rack. In marketing terms, Naim do give themselves a problem in that the budget range and the high end stuff all look much the same to the uninitiated. In some markets, bling is important. However, if you want a high end integrated, there are alternatives to Naim and after 30 years of Naim amplification I have moved on, and am enjoying what I have got very much.

I would agree that the draw of a one box or smaller box count is always desirable. I have noticed (subjectively though) that more and more people are tending towards simplification towards their setup.

A user of say the NDX or NDS for that matter may want a higher end integrated than the supernait.

It may be naim's approach to continue to use power supply as an optional upgrade for most of its component but I would much prefer and believe in lesser box count setup.

I've just posted a thread on Naim asking if they have any plans in coming up with a reference integrated amp. Any thoughts from non-Naim users, or any other recommendations other than Rega Osiris, Lavardin IT etc. ? Post is as below.

Currently Naim have categorised the quality of components based on series. The lowest i-series, the mid-end XS series, high-end Classic series and reference 500 series.

The integrated amps currently available are the Nait 5i-2, Nait XS and Supernait. The pattern of a "higher-range" amplifier seems to be focused on a more powerful amp.The least powerful amp seems to sit at the bottom of the hierarchy as far as "quality" is concerned.

552/500 > 252/300 > 282/250.2 > 202/200 > Supernait > Nait XS > Nait 5i

Of course there is flexibility in matching components if power is not an issue, for instance 552/200. Nevertheless, I was wondering about the line of integrateds. There have been mixed receptions on the Supernait vs Nait XS ( or the Nait 5i) as there doesn't seem to be a consensus on a better or higher quality integrated that rules it all.

Outside of Naim, there are a handful of high-quality integrated amps available that may cost more than Naim's mid-level separates. I was just wondering if Naim have any plans in coming up with a reference integrated that is based on a modest power output of say 40W to 50W. A reference level integrated that does not need an external power supply(although it is within Naim's philosophy that an external PSU is necessary for higher quality sound reproduction) or any add-ons such as DAC or phono module etc. Just a pure and simple integrated amp all in one box, a reference one for that matter.

Personally I think it is worth investigating this option as not everyone uses demanding power-hungry speakers. Those with high efficiency or easy-to-drive speakers will be equally at home with puny little integrateds. And I believe some folks prefer a neat one-box solution than multiple boxes sitting on the rack in their homes. A matter of priorities.

Any thoughts? If there isn't any plan in coming up with this elusive amp, I believe the Nait 5i would be the next best choice. :)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I doubt you'll get any response from Naim on this one

Currently their best bet is the 5i integrated

personally I don't really like SN & XS

By far their best was Nait 2 which seem to be impossible building anno 2012
A serviced one would be my best bet should your speakers match

Not completely relevant, but some Naim amplifier devotees still rate the original Nait ( also the Nait 2) as 'the' Naim small amplifier. It is certainly reflected in the prices on eBay. Nait 3s go for sensible money... MGM .

I find it striking, and perhaps relevant to this thread, that every time I've looked at the Naim forum in the last few months, there seems to be another thread about the Nait 5i as a "sweet spot" in the range. I have one and it does the trick for me (with Snell J/IIs), but I don't have an opinion because it's the only Naim amp I've heard.

what does "Reference Quality" mean?

To my mind it means the Supernait.
Unless there is a requirement for more power the SN seems seems just the ticket.
It's my favourite Naim product. In fact if you could pop in a set of phono cards it would be near perfect.

An integrated amp powered by linear power supplies within a same box loses out in term of sheer transparency, resolution, separation, noise floor and whatnot to its pre/power siblings. What it gains is coherence and overall musicality.

Naim's approach to amplifier design (keeping power supplies away from low voltage-amplification stages in preamps, phono stage and DAC) landed them a real big business in selling external power supply boxes. Hence, answer should be a big NO. Truth be told, inspite of significant sonic improvements to be had, there are minor compromises.

Some folks favour integrated amps over pre/power amps due to simplicity, minimal box count, lesser cables required, costs factor apart from the important fact that they do not really require a 'reference' amp in order to enjoy their music. :D

I was thinking exactly the same. They do sell a reference quality integrated; Supernait. I suppose Naim think if you want to improve on it you need to go down the separate pre/power/PSU route.

Still a bit baffled about the term 'reference quality'. What exactly does the term mean? After all, anything could be used as a 'reference'...it doesn't have to be the best, just the agreed standard of comparison.
Or is it just more empty 'marketspeak'.

They won't do it because it flies in the face of their marketing philosophy that you need separate PSUs, you need pre-power, they need separate PSUs, etc. If they designed an amp that sounded as good or better (easy enough) and put it in one box then it would negate the perceived need for the next upgrade.

Picked up a Nait 2 cb (factory serviced in the last couple of years so sounding its best) and am having a wee listen in place of my naim pre/power and am really enjoying it. Not as good as the bigger setup but not shabby either at a sensible volume.

Regards

Brian

advertisement

Back