advertisement

A&R A60

It was me. Despite needing another amp like a hole in the head I couldn't resist this one. I've had 1/2 an eye out for a nice clean unmolested A60 for a couple of years now.
This is the cleanest looking example I've seen in that time. I've seen lots of tattier ones go for similar or more money than this.
Will pair it with my JR149s in my bedroom system. I'm hoping it's as unmolested internally as it looks externally. If so I will look to give it a sympathetic recap keeping it as original as possible.
I'll open a thread in the classic section, let you know how I get on.
TS

Excellent, I have to admit I nearly hit the button myself despite having no use for it as it was such a nice clean example in the classic wood finish (black ash ones just don’t look right!).

FWIW I really rate the A60. It is a neglected classic that somehow got overlooked once the Naits etc appeared. I have compared it at length with a Nait 2 and the differences are ones of taste not, quality. The A60 is at least as good and certainly more powerful. It is worth getting it properly serviced (just recapped like for like, voltages checked etc, no mods) as it will likely be a bit tired by now. That done it will be a really good partner for the 149s that will punch well outside of its price class.

Great score, with the best case and fascia of any version imo.

First thing to do is to clean all inputs and outputs with isopropyl alcohol, then spray the switches and pots with a switch cleaner/lube like Servisol. Leave it overnight for the solvents to evaporate. I do this to mine every year or so and find it gives a solid improvement in the sound.

I don't like the black cases either. Aside from detracting from the otherwise elegant industrial design, they scratch easily and highlight dust. The plastic fascia of the late versions further yuckens the appearance.

Agreed about the black Ash version, I wouldn't have bought it if it had been in that finish. I have some IPA & Deoxit so will give all the switches/contacts a clean as suggested.
I haven't heard a Naim Nait but I do much prefer the the warmer Arcam/Quad presentation to the Naims I have heard. I also have an Arcam Delta 60 in my collection so that will make an interesting comparison.
TS

advertisement

Back