advertisement

A question on the useful life of a Jico SAS stylus

lordmortlock

Late to the Tannoy party
I’m just looking at the possibility of treating myself to a nice stylus for my Shure M75ED. Jico seems the best bet, with their SAS model the top of that particular tree.

Looking at an advert from a Jico reseller, it would appear that the typical life expectancy is 150 hours.

That can’t be right can it? At circa 10 hours a week listened I’ll have burnt through it by Spring! Does anyone use one of these, and can they comment on useful life in the real world?

No way! Jico suggest 500 hours for their profile but I'd suggest the light VTF (1.25-1.5g) and being used on clean records would greatly increase that.

Oh and I've had the SAS stylus on the M91ED and currently the M97XE and I am certain you'll be very very happy.

500hrs quoted @ Factory Specs
Lifespan over 1000hrs more if you use a RCM. Will transform your M75
Lost count of the number supplied over the years

I gave up any hope of tracking the very slow wear of a stylus by ear, a long time ago. I aim to compare to new and go from there.

With MM this ought not to be too painful, with not-so-cheap MCs...........................

"1. Conical
The Conical stylus is the most standard stylus type.DJs prefer this. Product lifetime is about 200 playing hours.

2. Elliptical
The Elliptical tip is good at reproducing high frequency area. Product lifetime is about 150 playing hours.

3. Shibata
The Shibata stylus can play 4-channel sound on quadraphonic records.Product lifetime is about 400 playing hours.

4. Hyper Elliptical
The Hyper Elliptical stylus is thinner than the Elliptical stylus. This gives additional frequency response. Product lifetime is about 400 playing hours.

5. Super Analog Stylus (SAS)
The SAS is the JICO’s original model. That tip resembles the cutting stylus and can trace record grooves precisely. The SAS is excellent at reproducing both high and low frequencies. Product lifetime is about 500 playing hours."

https://www.jico-stylus.com/2019/07/elementor-9582/

I expect the given numbers being the point where the additive distortion from wear reaches a point JICO deems not up to standards.

I use a simple tally counter like this:

handt-ller-med-4-cifre.jpg

I use a simple tally counter like this:

That just tells you how many hours the stylus has done. It tells you nothing about wear or change in what you might hear.

It is a bit like sell-by dates - today good, tomorrow bad. Fantasy.

The problem with hearing is that the degeneration happens slowly over time so you adjust to it gradually until the point where it gets bad enough to become clearly audible. And at that point distortion will be relatively high.

I don't use the counter as proof of anything but it's nice to know roughly how many hours - it doesn't hurt you know?

Stylus Timer will give playing time in hours
SAS essentially a Microridge extended line contact with very long groove contact patch with very long lifespan same style of Tip used by Lyra / Koetsu etc on top MCs
the " Ridge " part looks like a Philips screw driver and will eventually wear & will go " Off " quickly 1000+ hrs no real problem
Jico-SAS-640x346.png

22020Stylus_m.jpg

Better to change the stylus sooner rather than later and wait for it to distort enough that you can hear it.

Yes, SAS = MR = ML. Excellent since 1983 (if memory serves, AT and Shure since 1985-6 when I bought my first MR stylus for my V15 Era IV).

Good information, thanks.

I’ve just double checked the ad and it’s actually the elliptical that is quoted as 150 hrs, as per @krenzler s Jico post.

so the SAS costs a good chunk more but you could potentially get a lot more use out of it. That’s good to know.

Any advice on where to buy from please? I can’t immediately see a UK dealer. Is it best to go direct?

The problem with hearing is that the degeneration happens slowly over time so you adjust to it gradually until the point where it gets bad enough to become clearly audible. And at that point distortion will be relatively high.

I don't use the counter as proof of anything but it's nice to know roughly how many hours - it doesn't hurt you know?
As time is the only way of determining the use of your stylus a tally counter is ideal - ignore the know it all who probably analyses his stylus using a microscope after every song. Because y'know, not all songs are ballads, someone might be thrashing a guitar which might do untold damage to a stylus.

I generally reckon 1000 hours on a decent stylus. I probably get more, certainly a golfing 1042 I used in the 90s was played to death and still good.

advertisement

Back