advertisement

96kHz/24 bit v 192kHz/24 bit from Mac Mini?

I'm running a 2011 Mac Mini with 8Gb of RAM > J River > MDac and I've been plagued with distortion, pops & clicks since I upgraded to El Capitan over a year ago. I'm now on MacOS Sierra and it seems to be better but I'm that paranoid about it I think I can still hear those bugs. I think they are still there so I always end up going back optical which is not getting the best out of the Mdac.

John W said that the problem is likely to be with Apple not upgrading the USB 1.1 drivers. Has anyone came across anything similar and give me some advice so that I can connect via USB ?

John W said that the problem is likely to be with Apple not upgrading the USB 1.1 drivers. Has anyone came across anything similar and give me some advice so that I can connect via USB ?
Sell the dac and get one that's USB2.0 compatible:)
edit: or try a USB isolator.

I'm running a 2011 Mac Mini with 8Gb of RAM > J River > MDac and I've been plagued with distortion, pops & clicks since I upgraded to El Capitan over a year ago. I'm now on MacOS Sierra and it seems to be better but I'm that paranoid about it I think I can still hear those bugs. I think they are still there so I always end up going back optical which is not getting the best out of the Mdac.

I'm running a similar set up with Aurdirvana, and have no problems using USB from Sierra into my MDAC.

Sell the dac and get one that's USB2.0 compatible:)
edit: or try a USB isolator.

I'm in for an MDac 2 and that will ll be USB 2.0 but that could be a while. I'll have a look at changing to Audivarna - can you get a free trial ?

I have a 2010 and a late 2012 Mac Mini. I have zero problems with my Firewire DAC with El Capitan. As has been mentioned maybe a USB/OSX problem.

Cheers,

DV

Never had any issues with usb on a 2011 mini or 2013 MBP apart from the time I used a 5m usb cable which gave clicks and pops.

And what specific aspects of the sound are affected by those components?

I think "misinformation" is a better description for most of the stuff on CA. :)

There are a couple of knowledgeable posters there, but they usually get shouted down.

Well, I have the impression that you do not really know a lot about computer sound optimization. Just keep an mp3 - player running...

Well, I have the impression that you do not really know a lot about computer sound optimization.

True. Only studied it at university for 7 years, and then worked with it for 25 years. Still struggling.

True. Only studied it at university for 7 years, and then worked with it for 25 years. Still struggling.

It is amazing what kids are offered to study nowadays. Again, University does not seem to prepare for the real life as they say.

It is amazing what kids are offered to study nowadays. Again, University does not seem to prepare for the real life as they say.

I agree - but a lot of it depends on what you study. At least electrical engineering tends to give you a pretty good theoretical background, as well as teach you the mathematical and intellectual tools you need to understand the non-intuitive stuff that tends to confound and mislead laypeople and self-thought "experts".

advertisement

Back