advertisement

8200CD - "dirty" sound at volume control

Morisot

Hello! Prompt, please as adjustment of level of a signal in 8200CD is arranged. And whether the used way to do "dirt" at low levels can. Met many complaints to a "dirty" sound at use of an option of volume control. How it is possible to explain it?

About the given problem speak as at device connection through RCA to the capacity amplifier, and at use XLR. I haven't heard such problem, but probably my acoustics doesn't possess the necessary resolution (Dali IKON7)

Hello! Prompt, please as adjustment of level of a signal in 8200CD is arranged. And whether the used way to do "dirt" at low levels can. Met many complaints to a "dirty" sound at use of an option of volume control. How it is possible to explain it?

About the given problem speak as at device connection through RCA to the capacity amplifier, and at use XLR. I haven't heard such problem, but probably my acoustics doesn't possess the necessary resolution (Dali IKON7)

Hi Morisot,

Sorry your English is so poor I cannot fully understand your question.

In normal mode 8200CD does not have volume control, however there is a hidden option to selected "Variable output" although we dont make a big play about this option.

If I understand you correctly you say you have not heard them problem yourself - so who has (what system, and at what listening level)?

If your normal volume setting is below say -30dB then the use of RCA attenuators will help improve the system SNR:

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

-20dB seems a common choice.

I Hope this helps,

John

Thank you, John!
I meant what I saw on the forums users claim 8200CD that at low volume levels, they hear the "dirt".
I was surprised of it because I did not hear any dirt. I am using RCA attenuators that you recommended to me and I do not have any dirt on all levels. Although, I have a 8200CDQ.
At the same time I want to learn to expand knowledge - how to make the volume controls in digital and analog modes. And yet - the digital mode in the CDQ is the same as that used in 8200CD?

Special thanks for your help, John! You - a very respected man in Russia, and your participation in any project referred to as a sign of quality.

Hi Morisot,

Yes the CDQ Digital mode is the same as the "Variable output" option on the 8200CD.

By "dirt" I understand you mean Hiss - which will only effect systems with very high gain, and can be resolved with the attenuators.

John

Hi Lyricman,

Thanks for the Link - I've never seen them, but they seem well made and for a good price - I'd be interested in owner feedback...

John

I've got 2 pairs (-10dB and -14dB). No loss to signal quality. The resistors seem to be the little Holco jobs. The only grouse I have is that the phono plugs are those screw locking type and seem to be a bit of a pain to get on if the sockets are close together. If I had to do it again, I'd get a pair of leads made up with the attenuation built-in.

I have ordered a couple of these and will let you know what I think of them.

As an aside will this reduce the hiss I can hear from the tweeter that I can hear from about 12 inches away.

advertisement

Back