advertisement

6 nations 2021

Yeah it needs to be Northern hemisphere I guess. Spain have a team. Could definitely be looked into to expand outside of Europe. USA and Canada not bad shouts with RWC pedigree.

Anyone has to be better than Italy.

Rugby should be encouraged in Italy and elsewhere. Maybe a knockout competition for that sixth place ?

A thumbs up for Wayne Barnes too. Unobtrusive, to the point, mult-lingual. Almost didn't notice he was there compared to some of the other games in this tournament.

He did a good job.
We watched it on French TV, and the commentators were often having to "translate" his French so that it could be understood.
Bonus points for trying, though.

The French were trying to score a fourth try and get the bonus point, it would have left them joint top with Wales, losing out only on points difference
I realize that’s what he was trying to do, but it was a very high risk idea at that stage of the game (no time left on the clock and so close to the French line). A bit daft, really.

Well done to Scotland. Mrs me (who's a Scot) was over the moon:)

I wonder how Eddie is going to handle the shit storm that is coming his way over England's performance? I wonder if the Ford/Farrell/Youngs partnership might be under the microscope? And IMO, Billy's No8 place needs fresh blood.

Who from England might be in a Lions squad?
Itoje? Curry? May possibly but there is so much competition even for a player of his quality. I might tip Rees Z over him I think.

Romania used to be not bad at rugby in the 70s and 80s... what happened to them?

This six nations has turned on hair's breadths in many matches. Just thinking of those Murrayfield games against Wales and Ireland..... tiny twists of fate could have seen Scotland taking the Grand Slam last night.

That final try was set-up and then the conversion made by one of my sons school classmates. My son did play some rugby for the school, but not quite at the same level!

My daughters are at that school... eldest was quite into hockey and was part of a rowing quad who were Scottish schools champions a couple of years ago. I'm hoping she might pick it up again at Uni.

I realize that’s what he was trying to do, but it was a very high risk idea at that stage of the game (no time left on the clock and so close to the French line). A bit daft, really.

the French have a different mindset to the home nations I guess, I doubt he’ll be crucified in the French press - vive la difference?

The French were trying to score a fourth try and get the bonus point, it would have left them joint top with Wales, losing out only on points difference
..... and perhaps assuming that WB was going to let the game carry on for another 20 minutes

Well done to Scotland. Mrs me (who's a Scot) was over the moon:)

I wonder how Eddie is going to handle the shit storm that is coming his way over England's performance? I wonder if the Ford/Farrell/Youngs partnership might be under the microscope? And IMO, Billy's No8 place needs fresh blood.
Not so very long ago, Eddie was the saviour of the English rugby team, and the team at that time played some excellent rugby, IIRC, much more entertaining than the old style England game that seemed to owe more to tennis than rugby, at times. So maybe he's lost his touch and it's time to go somewhere else, but I don't think he really deserves a shit storm, does he? My feeling is also that Farrell, while a great player, has been a mediocre captain. I know Eddie Jones is responsible there, too, though.

the French have a different mindset to the home nations I guess, I doubt he’ll be crucified in the French press - vive la difference?
Fairly critical article in Le Monde:
https://www.lemonde.fr/sport/articl...n-qui-fait-chuter-les-bleus_6074653_3242.html
Not exactly a crucifixion, but they blame him for throwing away the match, and dig up his big mistake against Wales. The article does finish with an absolution of sorts, though.

Ntamack has been a bit flaky in recent matches, too.

Not so very long ago, Eddie was the saviour of the English rugby team, and the team at that time played some excellent rugby, IIRC, much more entertaining than the old style England game that seemed to owe more to tennis than rugby, at times. So maybe he's lost his touch and it's time to go somewhere else, but I don't think he really deserves a shit storm, does he? My feeling is also that Farrell, while a great player, has been a mediocre captain. I know Eddie Jones is responsible there, too, though.
Just quoting the press' response to the review that is happening right now.
I Like him as a tactician, a good brain all round and some of the team love him. My own grouch is that England are too slick and professional. A team that will always come second, because to win, you need heart.

Just quoting the press' response to the review that is happening right now.
I Like him as a tactician, a good brain all round and some of the team love him. My own grouch is that England are too slick and professional. A team that will always come second, because to win, you need heart.

Hmm good point. But can a coach alone develop 'heart' in a team ?
An oblique point is that England are always the team everyone else really wants to beat...

My daughters are at that school... eldest was quite into hockey and was part of a rowing quad who were Scottish schools champions a couple of years ago. I'm hoping she might pick it up again at Uni.

My son was more into sailing and was the sailing captain at the school. My daughter wasn't that sporty (when at school, although she is more so now) but she did play some hockey for the school.

My wife has mostly retired but still teaches at the school from time to time (she worked there for many years), and is helping out at the moment. She might even have taught your kids!

I was amazed (and pleased!) that it didn't just get put straight into touch.

Hmm good point. But can a coach alone develop 'heart' in a team ?
An oblique point is that England are always the team everyone else really wants to beat...
You get heart by picking the right players - for example Cipriani rather than Farrell, or proper flankers rather than repurposed locks. That is the coach's responsibility.

I think there are maybe two kinds of heart. There is the kind that gets you up and keeps you going even when the tank is empty, which I think Farrell has for example, and then there is the kind of heart which is driven by pride in the shirt. I’m not enough of a philosopher to know where that comes from really, but I suppose it’s helped by that kind of inspirational captaincy that people like Alan Wynn Jones have for example, and of course Martin Johnson. And a simple love of one’s country. I don’t know that the English do love England All that much now? Smaller countries like Scotland and Wales for example seem to have a much stronger sense of identity as a unit than we do, or maybe that’s just me? :)

advertisement

Back