advertisement

5D goes 50MP next week

Sorry to be dim, but does this mean the file size would be 50mb each?

I've just tried converting a D810 RAW file from 7360 * 4912
to 8720 * 5820 pixels which is roughly an 18% linear increase in size and gives roughly 50.6mpx that Canon rumours claims

the original Nikon RAW was 43.9mb so the Canon one would be roughly 61.5MB

My 1DS3 bought the first week they came out is still knocking out outstanding files. Many higher MP cameras have come and gone through my hands, Leica S2, Hassy CWD, Phase P30plus, Nikon D800E, and none of them look as good as my 1DS3 files. Will a 50MP 5D make me change, not on your life. Besides if i want to produce work i really care about i choose 6x7 film.

LOL, i was thinking of maybe all these extra pixels shows a weakness in the glass?

I don't think the S2 glass was lacking, or any of the other glass i've used.... I know enough about glass to put the right bit in front of sensor. My point is i have not found a sensor that gives me a look i like more than the 1DS3.

I don't think the S2 glass was lacking, or any of the other glass i've used.... I know enough about glass to put the right bit in front of sensor. My point is i have not found a sensor that gives me a look i like more than the 1DS3.

Something similar goes on with the Nikon Df - that sensor produces really nice images without too much fuss. That means it is more often out and about with me than the D810.

Unless you print huge photos or crop extensively after you take the shot (and you really shouldn't), what's the point in having so many pixels?

It seems to me that better pixels (improved colour accuracy, greater dynamic range and low-light performance) are all much higher up on the list of wants than simply more pixels.

Joe

..... It seems to me that better pixels (improved colour accuracy, greater dynamic range and low-light performance) are all much higher up on the list of wants than simply more pixels.

Joe

I wholeheartedly agree Joe.

My 1DS3 bought the first week they came out is still knocking out outstanding files. Many higher MP cameras have come and gone through my hands, Leica S2, Hassy CWD, Phase P30plus, Nikon D800E, and none of them look as good as my 1DS3 files. Will a 50MP 5D make me change, not on your life. Besides if i want to produce work i really care about i choose 6x7 film.

Have you tried the 5D2? Great image quality from that camera.

Have you tried the 5D2? Great image quality from that camera.

Certainly have Rack, not for me! Ok if you want high ISO. In fact i sold off my spare 1DS3 body as it never got used, and the guy that bought it had just sold his 5D3 and couldn't wait to get back to a 1DS3 on a file quality basis. The sensor's were never the same between the 'One' series and 'five' series.

Certainly have Rack, not for me! Ok if you want high ISO. In fact i sold off my spare 1DS3 body as it never got used, and the guy that bought it had just sold his 5D3 and couldn't wait to get back to a 1DS3 on a file quality basis. The sensor's were never the same between the 'One' series and 'five' series.

I was thinking as a back up to your 1DS3 but i know what you mean about liking the look of a particular sensor. I use the 1Dmk4 serie for sport but like the 5D2 for features as it has a really nice look to it as well as being FF but it's not great for anything that needs rapid responses & quick AF.

Hoping the 1Dx will bring a bit of mk4 speed and 5d2 image like quality to the party!

Heard good things about the 1DX, but i was a bit disappointed with the handling compared to the 1DS3. A couple of shooters i know who have shot their 1DX side by side have said they still prefer the 1DS3 file at 400 and below. Once you get to 800 and above the 1DX pulls away gradually until 1600, and above that it's night and day.

Heard good things about the 1DX, but i was a bit disappointed with the handling compared to the 1DS3. A couple of shooters i know who have shot their 1DX side by side have said they still prefer the 1DS3 file at 400 and below. Once you get to 800 and above the 1DX pulls away gradually until 1600, and above that it's night and day.

Not surprised at that as the 1DS3 was never aimed at press/sports shooters. Canon touted the 1Dx as the tool for all but interesting to hear that the 1DS3 still beats it at lower ISOs in your experience.

advertisement

Back