advertisement

490 for this mess

Wow, 16 bids and currently sitting @ £490

Is that a rare arm or can the cartridge be resurrected or something as I fail to see the interest appeal?

If someone desperately wants an LP12 with a decent tonearm (Mission) and wants to do the clean-up themselves, it has saved them a couple of hundred notes, maybe more, when you add in a new non-OEM lid. SO LONG AS THE MESS IS COSMETIC, which it may well be - difficult to be sure.

If someone desperately wants an LP12 with a decent tonearm (Mission) and wants to do the clean-up themselves, it has saved them a couple of hundred notes, maybe more, when you add in a new non-OEM lid. SO LONG AS THE MESS IS COSMETIC, which it may well be - difficult to be sure.

Is that a Mission Mechanic tonearm? I’ve read good things about those.

Maybe the Dynavector Karat Cartridge can be rebuilt....

To me, the deck looks like it has been very badly treated and abused during its life.

But the arm is also a complete mess, it will take as much to make it work as to buy a nice one to begin with.

Is that a Mission Mechanic tonearm? I’ve read good things about those.

No it's a 774, if it were a Mechanic the whole thing would have fetched a grand or more.

But the arm is also a complete mess, it will take as much to make it work as to buy a nice one to begin with.

You can very obviously tell a hell of a lot more from the photo's than me. To me, it all LOOKS cosmetic and likely to be made entirely serviceable with very little outlay. It looks like it has been stored somewhere damp - hence the corrosion on the headshell, but so long as the plinth isn't warped, fine.
If somebody were to clean it up they'd have spent very little £££ and have a deck worth not very much more than what they paid, but they would have an entirely adequate, basic-level LP12 and decent arm for under £500, and some trade-in value in the cart'.

It's certainly a mess, but all the important bits of an old LP12 seem to be there and useable.

I reckon that if could be rescued by a competent hi-fi tinkerer.

The arm needs a complete strip down, refinish and rebuilt, probably rewiring judging by the plug too, There's a ring on the top plate where the platter has been sitting so suspension probably knackered, something on top possibly? Bearing wouldn't be at its best. Motor might run though.... Plinth would ideally be stripped back and refinished, possibly straightened and corner braces added.

All do-able ...but would you really want to at £490? Maybe at £200-250 but even then I'd just leave it to someone who believes an LP12 is the best deck money could ever buy.

The arm needs a complete strip down, refinish and rebuilt, probably rewiring judging by the plug too, There's a ring on the top plate where the platter has been sitting so suspension probably knackered, something on top possibly? Bearing wouldn't be at its best. Motor might run though.... Plinth would ideally be stripped back and refinished, possibly straightened and corner braces added.

All do-able ...but would you really want to at £490? Maybe at £200-250 but even then I'd just leave it to someone who believes an LP12 is the best deck money could ever buy.

Indeed. The arm needs a complete strip down and inspection of the bearings as it looks like it has been kicked around, plus it is missing its counterweight from the look of it. Far far easier to just buy a decent 774 to start with, they aren't that expensive.

I'm not against buying a deck that needs some TLC and tarting it up, but one in such a state is worth a couple of hundred quid at best, by the time you've done with this one and the arm you'll have spent what a decent LP12 would have cost you in the first place.

It's the sort of project that grows arms and legs.....like my Townshend Rock Mk2 that by the time it got to me needed the bearing dug out and re-mounted, ideally would be re-spayed etc. etc. to get it pristine. Or the Revox TT that was so badly packaged that it was basically a case of just start from scratch or use for parts.

Why can't these people just spend a minute on the description. I remember back in the early days of ebay with the essay style listings lol

A bit of spit and polish and it will be back on ebay and someone will make a killing

More likely the seller has acquired it from who knows where, (maybe deceased relative) ands knows very little about it. But does remember that it should not be thrown in a skip. Note that the seller's other items are mostly household stuff like crockery.

advertisement

Back