advertisement

2 years of lingering plantar fasciitis - any advice?

Thanks for pointer on the cohesive tape sq225917. Has anyone had success from strapping when dealing with plantar fasciitis?

I'm now rolling the foot 2 or 3 times per day thanks for the tip Big Tabs.

Plus the stretches are being done for longer and twice per day now. I'm going to incorporate the stretches you linked me to Svein.

I'm now experimenting with minimal shoes, having tried padded shoes and orthotics. After a couple of hours on my feet they don't seem to leave me with a better or worse condition than the padded shoes. I am keeping na open mind on this one.

I remembered that my other change, that stopped my pain quickly, was to wear rubber flip flops indoors. My flooring is all tile or wood, so quite hard on a bare foot

The undersides of my feet are much, much better now. I'm waking up with a really sore right foot now, especially in the area at the top, close to the ankle. It goes with rest, but I don't have time to rest! Blody annoying!

Cheers BB

Thanks for pointer on the cohesive tape sq225917. Has anyone had success from strapping when dealing with plantar fasciitis?

I'm now rolling the foot 2 or 3 times per day thanks for the tip Big Tabs.

Plus the stretches are being done for longer and twice per day now. I'm going to incorporate the stretches you linked me to Svein.

I'm now experimenting with minimal shoes, having tried padded shoes and orthotics. After a couple of hours on my feet they don't seem to leave me with a better or worse condition than the padded shoes. I am keeping na open mind on this one.

How are you doing now? Did barefoot shoes work or back to orthotics?

Missed this thread. I had it in my right heel two years ago. Came out of the blue then disappeared just as quickly about 6 weeks later. It felt like I had stood on a nail with my heel.
January this year I got it in my left heel and still have it. This time it’s far more problematic - I’m walking much more slowly and with a limp and the pain is affecting my quality of life. I’m praying it disappears like the first time.

Missed this thread. I had it in my right heel two years ago. Came out of the blue then disappeared just as quickly about 6 weeks later. It felt like I had stood on a nail with my heel.
January this year I got it in my left heel and still have it. This time it’s far more problematic - I’m walking much more slowly and with a limp and the pain is affecting my quality of life. I’m praying it disappears like the first time.
I have had two transient episodes of plantar fasciitis. I have no idea of whether it went away naturally or as a result of what I did.

However I took several days of just light walking after each episode started and I also constructed cushioning from commercial foam, sold for in-shoe use, that diverted pressure away from the area that was painful. It hasn't come back for over a year now but YMMV of couse.

Hello everyone. I intended to update you when I had reached some sort of conclusion, but in the meantime a few of you have kindly enquired about my progress.

I purchased the book Older Yet Faster. After two months of carrying out their prescribed exercises for PF recovery and going shoeless around the house I did see some improvement. The essence of their strategy is to strengthen the muscles in the foot that will benefit PF recovery. In terms of number of bad days for PF I think I had about 25% less occurrences following this regime.

I use the foot roller after any long walk or activity that's likely to aggravate my PF. And this does seem to mean the next day I now wake up fine. I had been overdoing the roller and actually caused my foot to permanently feel sore.

Using my very thin soled minimalist shoes I found things neither better nor worse for day to day use. But when I did a more than say 4 mile walk I found my padded running shoes left me feeling better.

I finally got a referral from the GP to the see a Consultant at the local hospital's Biomechanics Department. Having been through all of the usual treatments, albeit self administered, he asked me what I wanted to try next! Based on this thread I asked for shock wave therapy or ultrasound therapy. I was told the NHS didn't offer ultrasound, but had just taken delivery of a new focused extracorporeal shock wave therapy machine, but they hadn't really used it much and where a little unsure how to progress. However they had been given some guidelines by others on how to set it up etc and asked if I was okay to give it a try. I agreed to be their guinea pig.

I was asked how intense I wanted the shock waves to be. They were cautious as some patients said it was painful and so they wanted to give me a gentle introduction and allow me to gauge my tolerance. However they confirmed that maximum benefit came from maximum power. So I told them to go for maximum power. It wasn't too bad, a score of 6 out 10 where 10 is my most painful experience of my life. I think they liked me as there was an audience of trainees in to watch my subsequent sessions (sadistic so and so's). I had four sessions spaced a week apart. Then the treatment was stopped as they said the treatment effectively kickstarted a stalled healing process and nature now had to be allowed to take its course.

Even after the first session it was better. Now about three months after the last session its much better, not gone, but the best its been.

I've been back in touch for more sessions but they said no for now. They'll be in touch in the summer to see how I am.

Apparently you can get shock wave therapy privately for about £40 a session. This might be something I do if the NHS won't play ball and the PF doesn't clear up.

Thank you all, once again, for your support and kindness in this matter :)

Last edited:
Glad you've had an improvement. Mine, which I had for a few years, went away after I gave up jogging and lost a bit of weight. The first few steps after getting out of bed in the morning were hellish. Hope it never returns.

I had plantar fasciitis and tried the usual remedies. The splint didn't help at all, it just kept me from sleeping. Orthotic inserts in my shoes were a big help, but it never went away completely until I changed jobs from one where I was on my feet all day to a sedentary desk job.

After having it badly in my left foot I thought I then had it in my right foot, it turns out however to be a bone spur. Physiotherapist gave me some advice but told me if it continues I’ll have to have it operated on. The worst pain is whilst driving, I do 30K per year!!

It’s currently manageable but if it gets any worse I’ll need to have it done. Problem is with my new business still in its fairly early stages I don’t want to be out of action for any length of time.

Cheers BB

Hello everyone. I intended to update you when I had reached some sort of conclusion, but in the meantime a few of you have kindly enquired about my progress.

I purchased the book Older Yet Faster. After two months of carrying out their prescribed exercises for PF recovery and going shoeless around the house I did see some improvement. The essence of their strategy is to strengthen the muscles in the foot that will benefit PF recovery. In terms of number of bad days for PF I think I had about 25% less occurrences following this regime.
Interesting, neither success nor failure though I suppose more the latter.
It is a super confusing subject because there doesn't seem to be consensus on what works and there are contradictions especially with regard to orthotic insoles which some recommend and others say can delay healing. Intuitively I feel that the theories on strengthening rather than supporting make sense but I am ignorant!

Interesting, neither success nor failure though I suppose more the latter.
It is a super confusing subject because there doesn't seem to be consensus on what works and there are contradictions especially with regard to orthotic insoles which some recommend and others say can delay healing. Intuitively I feel that the theories on strengthening rather than supporting make sense but I am ignorant!
Even on this small forum we've had people report success from conflicting treatments. Probably clouded by cases where time would have healed the problem irrespective of what treatment was followed in the recovery period.

I had the injections, they didnt help me and caused extreme pain for at least one week, I was told to avoid formal hard soled shoes of the type I used to wear to work and stop flamenco dancing, (Which I have never taken part in!)

I was told off for using those silicone heel inserts because they adjust the natural angle of your foot. After a spell of wearing trainers to work, a long period of rest has made managing it barrable.

Now I try not to over do my walking distance and have stopped running all together.

Rest and low impact foot wear are the main things that have helped me.

i was born with congenital and structural defects in my feet and ankles - which means plantar fasciitis (amongst other things) since i was born. Orthotics are ok and offer the needed support. Low impact foot wear helps alot - but get them fitted at a place that can do gait analysis.

I was told to stay away from barefoot shoes by numerous physiotherapists - and they just made my foot stability worse.

I'm trying compression socks today, for the first time. I'm working from home though so won't have much effect as i won't be walking or driving far today. Will have a better idea tomorrow as we're going for a decent walk.

Cheers BB

I’m not sure it is contrary. It’s the exact advice people I know were given.

I should also add that in my case the use of orthotics was the icing on the cake. My pain started at 8/10; was reduced to 2/10. Orthotics reduced it to nil.
The bit that is contrary is that most podiatrists will recommend padded shoes and orthotics. OYF emphatically does not. For me the OYF method followed as in the book did the trick. As my old music teacher used to say 'try everything, use what works'!

I have replaced my household slippers with those ‘slip in’ shoes advertised on tv. Part of my problem is padding around in bare feet, these are as easy to get on as slippers, v comfortable and cushioned in all the right places.

I haven’t had a recurrence of PF since I bought them 12 months ago.

I have replaced my household slippers with those ‘slip in’ shoes advertised on tv. Part of my problem is padding around in bare feet, these are as easy to get on as slippers, v comfortable and cushioned in all the right places.

I haven’t had a recurrence of PF since I bought them 12 months ago.
I know opinions vary but I would have thought bare feet were OK for PF?

advertisement

Back