advertisement

1200£ for two monoblock amps?

ross

pfm Member
What are the recommendations at this price point, for new amps?
Contemplating a complete overhaul, downstream from my LP12, and assuming the pre amp would be from the same stable as the power amps.
Eventually I am contemplating a pair of Dynaudio speakers at about 2k.

Any advice?

For £1200 you can try lots of things

2 x NAP180, pull out a couple of wires (that can be pushed back in) and you have mono blocks that will resell for what you pay. Add a NAC72, all for your budget. A touch more to provide a good PSU for the NAC.

Might be better going for a stereo amp.

There are two Quad 405-2 mono blocks sitting on the bay. Easy to add a 34/44.

Depends what you are into I guess and what you had on the LP12 before?

If you have an amp currently that is capable of driving your speakers properly then why change, mono blocs can only offer ( slightly ) better channel separation which will probably be inaudible anyway.
Keith.

What are the recommendations at this price point, for new amps?
Contemplating a complete overhaul, downstream from my LP12, and assuming the pre amp would be from the same stable as the power amps.
Eventually I am contemplating a pair of Dynaudio speakers at about 2k.

Any advice?

Stick to a stereo amp - one set of casework so better value imo.

Jason

I'd ask the OP why buy new when you can get a lot more bang for yer buck s/h and also move it on with little or no loss when upgrading or if it doesn't suit.

For example a Meridian 557 which is two mono blocks but in one case would go for around £600-700 and would outperform anything new at £1200.

Cheers,

DV

JWestlakes new amp offering's which I think will you would be able to bi-amp or build some Hypex N-cores.

If you have a Naim pre-amp

Then save a few more hundred squid for a pair NAP135's

But if you intend to have Dynaudio speakers, big ploddy power amps near the kilowatts range is required to get them going.

Does it have to be pretty monos?

You could get something as simple as a BK MXF 900 (built without the pots).

Very powerful and will drive just about anything you like.

Then spend the savings on a better class of pre amp.

If not, then DV's suggestion of a big Meridian would be hard to top for that price.

NVA A80s. I think the mk1s are still available, but the mk2s will work with a wider variety of speakers (and preamps I think). But the whole NVA passive pre/monos represents outstanding value IMO, and I'm not missing my 252/SCap/135s one bit.

Otherwise, yes the big Meridians are excellent.

yeh the Ncores will be right on that money + case costs.

This. Buy ready drilled cases from SiliconRay, all you have to do is solder a single XLR connector per side, the rest is plug and play.

It will beat the pants off anything this side of 5k.

Secondhand Sugden a21a2 or a21se, either of them should have enough grunt for the Dyns and in my personal view sound way better than Naim.

advertisement

Back