advertisement

12 inch unipivot tonearm - rega fit

banjoman

pfm Member
Having tried out a Roksan Nima on my Garrard 401 with positive results, I am now keen on trying out a 12 inch unipivot arm - ideally something that's not too difficult to set up.

Only thing is – my armboard that allows 12 inch arms has a rega sized (23mm) mounting hole and I don’t want the hassle/cost of getting a brand new armboard made right now.
So, what are the options for 12 inch unipivot arms that would fit a rega mount? – with or without an additional adapter.
Happy to buy an additional adapter to convert to the Rega mount hole – if that’s an option.

I know the Opera Consonance 1288 arm fits the bill but seems to be difficult to get hold of.
Any other options to consider?
The Nottinngam Analogue AceSpace 12 inch version looks interesting but not sure if I can get an adapter to fit a Rega mount.

All advice much appreciated!

I would probably be looking at used arms with a budget of £400-700

I wouldn't restrict yourself, you want to spend £500 ish and a £30 armboard is going to dictate your choices?

Getting a new custom slate armboard for my plinth is several times more than £30 - another problem is the lead time may be quite long
I would rather experiment with 12 inch arms that are ready to go in my current set up first

hmmm...the Wand does look interesting.
Thanks for that.
Not sure about the looks but might fit the bill perfectly otherwise.
Looks like it can only be ordered directly from New Zealand - which means ridiculous customs charges potentially.
Do you by any chance know of any UK dealers that stocks this?

Having tried out a Roksan Nima on my Garrard 401 with positive results, I am now keen on trying out a 12 inch unipivot arm - ideally something that's not too difficult to set up.

Only thing is – my armboard that allows 12 inch arms has a rega sized (23mm) mounting hole and I don’t want the hassle/cost of getting a brand new armboard made right now.
So, what are the options for 12 inch unipivot arms that would fit a rega mount? – with or without an additional adapter.
Happy to buy an additional adapter to convert to the Rega mount hole – if that’s an option.

I know the Opera Consonance 1288 arm fits the bill but seems to be difficult to get hold of.
Any other options to consider?
The Nottinngam Analogue AceSpace 12 inch version looks interesting but not sure if I can get an adapter to fit a Rega mount.

All advice much appreciated!

I would probably be looking at used arms with a budget of £400-700

You will hear no difference in using a 12" unipivot arm over a 9" one

Excellent. Thanks for that. Will enquire. Though I might have got hold of a 12 inch Opera Consonance unipivot to experiment with first

I've got a 9inch Wand on my LP12 and very happy with it. It replaced an Ittok. If the Gerrard has the same size lid as the LP12 then I would checkout whether a 12" arm will fit. 9" just fits for length. Arm height is a prob for all std LP12 lids.
Cheers Muzz

For Information; I've put a post a couple of days ago (22nd July) on the Trade Sales part of PFM about availability of The Wand in the UK. (Wasn't sure how acceptable it would be to reply directly here)
Cheers
Simon
Design Build Listen

Isn't the JMW arm as featured on TNT decks a Uni-pivot? May be prohibitively expensive and no clue as to it's mount type

You will hear no difference in using a 12" unipivot arm over a 9" one

Now I wonder what pearls of wisdom prompted that. Simply the tracing error reduction alone would, with a decent cart. and ancillaries, define a presentational difference. Then there's the mass difference in relation to cart. suitablilty etc.........

I went from 9" to 12" arms, and though the changes were not comparable, being from SME V to N.A. Ace Anna and different decks, chalk and cheese hardly begins to describe the transformation.

I've owned both 9" and 12" Kuzma unipivots, (on the Kuzma Stabi/S) the difference is noticeably with the 12" being smoother in the upper treble but perhaps loosing a little attack as a result. I wouldn't say it was chalk and cheese, but it's noticeable.

advertisement

Back