advertisement

£100 Compact Digi Camera

stevec67

pfm Member
I don't want to hijack Duncan's thread, so here goes. If I have £100 (ish, let's not argue the toss for a tenner) then in these straitened times what's my best bet?

I want to use this for standard photos with a bias on outdoor stuff (like Duncan I'm a climber, I also spend a fair bit of time falling off mountain bikes) so one with a bit of ruggedness and mild water resistance would be nice, even if this is only limited to not being afraid to take it out of its bag on a wet day.

The Lumix at £80ish looks fantastic BTW. Would I benefit though from spending a bit more and getting one with IS?

Anyone? This must be a massive market, it's an obvious price point and the models at this price are more than competent.

Any advice, anyone? Bargains you know of?

Oh well, looks like nobody here has any experience of the cheaper jobs or this model, I think I'll have a stab now while the high street is suffering and beofr ethe currency changes start biting. I'll let you know hoiw I get on, look out for some numpty posts about "how do I?".

Good luck Steve - sorry I can't be of help. Take a look at the new Kodak P&S models - I believe they are putting relatively large sized sensors (cf. Nikon, Canon, etc.) in some of their cameras.

Dan

I'd go with a model with IS if it's an option.
I quite like the look of the Lumix FX-35 at current prices. There are a lot of options around the £100 mark, though they are largely much of a muchness.

Good luck Steve - sorry I can't be of help. Take a look at the new Kodak P&S models - I believe they are putting relatively large sized sensors (cf. Nikon, Canon, etc.) in some of their cameras.

Dan

Yeah, I have a Kodak Z1085 IS, which has a sensor of about twice the area of most compacts. It's surprisingly competent (reviews were mediocre so I was pleasantly surprised), although I bought it more for its 720p HD video than for stills. Having said that, I've barely used my F30 since I got the Kodak, so it's at least 'good enough'.

Thanks for the advice folks, it seems having read a bit more the Lumix has IS. It's all over the net at £85-90 so I'm going to take a few ads into the camera shops in Leeds centre and see if they can match it. I'd sooner avoid PC World if possible, they are just box sellers but I do like the thought of being able to walk it back into the shop if I have a problem.

Hi Steve

The website dpreview.com did a comparison of budget compact digital cameras recently. See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/

FWIW My research online led me to buy the Nikon Coolpix S210 as a Christmas present for my father. He seems very pleased with it. It is very compact and seems to take a decent picture.

Damian

Thanks for the advice folks. I did a lot of reading of online reviews and came up with the Lumix LZ10 from ebuyer at £100 delivered with a free NoBrand 2GB card. This compares well with the FS3 at 90-odd with a card, and it adds a lot of manual controls if you ever want to take over from auto. I grew up with manual SLRs so this is a possibility from time to time.

The LZ is a bit bigger but has 10MP and a bigger zoom. It's a bit heavier (hohum) but not exactly a Nikon F3. It runs on AAs which TBH adds a bit of versatility, I can run it on NiMH and if it goes flat halfway through the afternoon a couple of quid in a corner shop will see it running again, you can't do that with a Li-ion.

Now all I have to do is wait 5 days for delivery and then take it out for some photos!

advertisement

Back