advertisement

£1 Charity Shop Classical CDs

Gerard124

pfm Member
Scored a pile of classical CDs in local charity shop at £1 a pop this afternoon, they look in superb condition
and most likely are un-played.

As I know squat about Classical music, can you gents tell me which CDs are :

1) Superb - listen to these CDs first (hopefully)

2) Worth a listen

3) Crap return to charity shop

Jacqueline Du Pre - Elgar Cello Concerto - London Symphony Orchestra - Sir John Barbirolli - EMI (I noticed this is £45 on Amazon :)

Rachmaninov - Symphony No.2 - The Rock - Russian National Orchestera - Mikhail Pletnev - Deutsche Grammophon

Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 "Organ" - Cochereau/Berliner Phil/Karajan - Deutsche Grammophon

Elgar: Violin Concerto - Kennedy - Rattle - Ralph Vaughan Williams/The Lark Ascending - EMI

John Eliot Gardiner - Beethoven Symphonies No 5 & 7 - Deutshe Grammophon

Barber - Walton : Violin Concertos Bell/BSO/Zinman - Decca

George Butterworth - British Music Collection - Decca

Music From the Motion Picture - Gladiator - Decca

More Music From the Motion Picture - Gladiator - Decca

Vinyl LP - Greensleeves Music by Vaughan Williams - Walton - Delius - Zukerman - English Chamber Orchestra - Barenboim - Deutsche Grammophon

I am like yourself, not knowledgeable re classical music but the whole lot look like worth a listen at least surely. Looks like you may have some bargains too, well spotted.

You got to start somewhere! charity shop seem a good idea without spending too much money (£10.50 for all above)

Don't know about the rest of them, but the Du Pre Elgar and the Bell Walton/Barber are first rate. Happy listening.

Nice haul. I'd have left the Gladiator soundtracks, but the rest is perfectly decent stuff.

Gerard - you did very well there.

I'm with Tony with regard to the Gladiator soundtrack, though it's OK, but not something I'd listen to in its own right.
The rest, however is all pretty good stuff. The Elgar in particular is lovely. I also love the Saint-Saens - preferably played quite/very loud (delete where applicable depending on whether wife/significant other is around...:))

Enjoy!

Elgar in particular is lovely.

Hi Mark are you commenting on both the Elgar CDs there?

Trying to have a listen to some of this stuff - but there are 2 *$*$ing teenagers in the house - what is a 19 year old doing home on a friday night? FFS go out!

I was thinking of the cello concerto in particular. If I'm not mistaken, the Du Pre/Baribirolli version is *the* definitive recording of this work (though others may disagree). If it's the recording I'm thinking of, it also has the Sea Pictures sung by Dame Janet Baker, which are rather nice too.
I have the Kennedy Elgar violin concerto, but haven't listened to it in a long time.

I'm afraid I can't help WRT teenagers...:)

It's this one

4126831;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

51rOk56PSzL.jpg

At that price, play them all. If you don't like any, back to the shop with some other dross you need to unload.

Absolutely - but its a lot of music to take in, so just looking to cut down on some of the spade work + learn from those in the know.

Nice haul. I'd have left the Gladiator soundtracks, but the rest is perfectly decent stuff.

Just popped the Gladiator in for a listen - you were right Tony, ouch my ears.

Can't see the 2nd 'more' Gladiator disc getting a first play!

Just popped the Gladiator in for a listen - you were right Tony, ouch my ears.

Can't see the 2nd 'more' Gladiator disc getting a first play!

Indeed, that's two out of the way. The rest is good - proper classical music - so far harder to reject out of hand. There's nothing there that doesn't deserve investigation IMO, and there's no right or wrong answers, you'll end up loving some / a lot / all of it.

Indeed, I went in looking to spend a couple of £ on a few Wagner cds if they had any and came out with with all this to explore - good in it!

advertisement

Back