advertisement

Home made subchasis & other mods for LP12

John R

Trade: Analogue innovation
It's my intention to post some pictures of this sub-chassis fairly soon, but whilst I'm listening to the results I thought I'd get the thread started.

My LP 12 is a very early model and I've given up on using Ebay as a source of affordable secondhand Linn spares, (prices have just gone crazy IMO. Only component I managed to get hold of was a later 80's Afromosia corner braced plinth), so I've decided to make my own improved components?

List as follows:

1. Constrained layer sub-chassis using 10mm MDF core sandwiched between two 1mm aluminium sheets all epoxy glued together; result = a very stiff and slightly heavier subchassis which seems acoustically dead as the proverbial to resonances. Thought I'd try it out at approx 90 or so grams heavier than the pressed steel early sub.

2. A new aluminium main bearing housing with a 50 mm diameter flange into which the standard non Cirkus main bearing fits.. This pair of components are then screwed to the top of the subchasis providing a very rigid assembly.

3. A new brushed stainless steel top plate into which I've cut the motor hole as per the Pink Linnk. I've used dampening pads on the underside of the top plate to reduce resonances, and the motor has been isolated from the top plate uasing a cork gasket. I've also epoxied hardwood block onto each corner of the top plate and used thse to pass screws through from below to tension the top plate down onto the plinth.

4. Given the stronger & more acoustically inert properies of the sub-chassis I've decided to use M4 csk Allen socket screws inserted from above and done up good and tight to attach the armboard effecively making the amboard and sub one component. I guess similar to the Cetech set up ?

5. I've dispensed with the four feet and opted for 3 - two at the front and one at the rear in order to reduce any chance of rocking and allow for ease of leveling the plinth on its base.

This has all taken a very long time and a bucket load of hard work but I think the result has been worth it..

Early listening impressions? Well gone has that well known Linn "hole in the middle" effect, sound stage is wider than my Rega P25. Bass good-n tight, transients very sharp and treble nice and sweet. All this with a cooking SME 3009 series 3 and Shure V15 2 But don't think I'll be rushing back to the P25 in a hurry! Total cost of all materials approx £ 35. Hoping to post pics on the W/E.

alf.

Sorry Trancera. you'll have to wait a short while -I'm enjoying it too much at the moment to strip it down. I'll get them done for the W/E, Saturday is a promise. Hoping they'll be worth the wait for the PFM audience. Feedback appreciated be it positive or negative!

alf.

Bloody hell , thats quite a project. I would have needed quite alot of new pants if i'd have attempted that.

Respect to you sir.

stu

Interesting if scary project. I like the use of sandwich materials. Very underestimated area IMHO, and ripe for diying.

In the past I have made a range of things including plinths in formica/balsa wood sandwich, and 120 litre cylindrical speaker cabinets in steel/concrete sandwich! Sandwiches are always good to work with and always seems to give good performance with a little care and sensible choosing.

I wonder what your Linn would have sounded like with ali/balsa? Any idea how the weight distribution is now you are using 3 feet?

OK folks, here's the first of a number of pictures to whet your appetites.

Mainbearingadaptorflange.jpg

subchassis2.jpg

subcxhassisassy.jpg

CasenutandcskAllenscrew.jpg

Rearfoot.jpg

Armboardscrews.jpg

LP12fronttop.jpg

LP12topLH.jpg

I'll be back later to answer any questions you may have.

alf

Have you forgotten the switch?

Lovely job there- some serious skills to have pulled that off- too many proper Qs I can't think to begin..

Mega lord.
I prefer the term twisted - like I am ! I find it helps the stylus follow the groove.

Captain I dont' need the switch cos I've built one of these:

Johnsprojects002.jpg

and the top plate looks better wthout one IMHO..

iamjohnwayne:
I may be tempted : it depends how much interest this generates, if enough to make it worthwhile then I guess so.

Anyhow here's some more pics.

frontcornerblockmotor.jpg

Dointhebusiness.jpg

alf

VERY nice :D a number of words spring to mind, clever, skilled, git ...

Why not go the whole hog and do the armboard though ala Keel?

Dare to call Linn and ask what the boss thinks of your mods, there is bsolutely no way that will work ... oh but we have 'invented' the keel :)

Seriously though £35, can you do me a kit of the metal bits ;)

Also whats in the PSU, where did the box come from?

Thanks Trancera.

Going the whole hog ala' Keel would be beyond my capabilites I'm afraid. Although, I guess I could do something like it had I the machine tools to make it possible.

What's inside the box?

Johnsprojects004.jpg

A basic Geddon clone which is due for a revamp. The box is a Hammond case from Farnell I did a thread starter on it a while ago here on PFM. I'll take a look back and let you know.

Parts may be a possibility, we'll see it depends on interest/demand. Mine was just based on an idea I've had for some time. I would make a few subtle changes if I were to have a go again.

What would you be interested in though ? A complete fabricated sub-chasis and the bearing adaptor? Again, this would have to be based on demand. One offs'may be tricky in terms of cost/time etc.

Alf

Just the metal bits, I'd be happy doing the rest, mdf assembly etc etc, all the messy stuff. If you havent machine tools how did you do it ?!

OK.
I'm a time served craftsman, a machinist but now a mechanical engineer. A friend who is still on the "Tools" turned out the bearing adaptor for me to my design, out of material I had laying around. All the rest was done using handsaws, hacksaws jigsaws, files, a pillar drill, hole saws and jobbers drills of varoius sizes and a hell of a lot of time and patience !

I sourced a very special epoxy adhesive through my employer, (a leading exponent in adhesive technology). I've just spent a very pleasant evening listening to various geres of music finishing up with the best rendidtion of Santanas Abraxas album I'ver ever had the pleasure of hearing on any TT up to and including a Michell Orbe. Isolation from it's surroundings is exceptional, it has to heard to be believed, I'm that confident.

alf

Very impressive Alf. Although I think your barking mad for using an LP12 to start with. Just imagine how good a Gyro would sound if you put that much effort into modding one of those ?

Very impressive Alf. Although I think your barking mad for using an LP12 to start with. Just imagine how good a Gyro would sound if you put that much effort into modding one of those ?

"Although I think your barking mad ..." Well that's because you've only ever heard an LP12 with the pressed-steel chassis. Had you heard one with the Keel, the Cetech or my own CF-composite subchassis - or even, it seems, Alfi Amalfi's aluminium/MDF/aluminium laminate - you would'nt knock the LP12 like that. IMO it's a "rough diamond" waiting for the cutter! :)

Regards,

Andy

Alf, that's gorgeous.

Maybe you could make 10 full kits to sell, pending pre-orders and deposits of all 10? Could be worth doing it then.

Would have to decide on metal parts only or full kit with all parts finished, I would be interested in the latter.

Depending on cost of course.

Absolutely great work ! ;)
Do you know which Farnell number has this nice Hammond box ?
Have You painted it ?

Tomek

advertisement

Back