advertisement

Trends in printing/framing

Coda II

getting there slowly
I was sure I posted a query this morning about alternatives to deep white mounts with thin black frames for showing photographic work and also the pros and cons of photographic paper v giclee. Can’t find any trace now, but that was the gist.

Any thoughts?

It did, along with my reply - the gist of which was:

For exhibitions I use DSC lustre - Fuji Crystal Archive, as behind glass it looks as good as anything. Giclee, is just ink-jet printing and although the longevity issues are behind us, it is an expensive process, but you can do very large prints, and have some choices of paper finish not available with conventional photographic papers. However, I have a giclee print in my exhibition that is on at the moment, and now it is behind glass you cannot tell that it cost me five times the cost of the print next to it!

I think it was your web site I had a look at yesterday - it's an interesting exhibition space you have!
Because I don't put my textile work behind glass I'm inclined to go for a print option that also doesn't need glass and I'm curious about the preconceptions that various presentation options prompt. As soon as you add a mount/frame/glass I think it changes the way the public approach the work. I guess with a giclee print treating it like an engraving or etching and putting it in a deeper box frame preserves a bit more of the differentiation that the alternative papers bring?
On the other hand DSCL also offer various mounting options (wood/acrylic) for C-type prints which in some ways look more commercial/public space options but also get away from a classic photography exhibition look (again, just to repeat, I have noting against photography exhibitions but just don't want this show to have that feel).
I really need to get some sample prints done but does eg. the Fuji Velvet Paper (Flat Matt) get closer to being the paper look that a giclee paper might have?

The acrylic panels do give a nice frameless look that I rather like, and a nice glossy surface - which can look great if the light is right. They tend to be quite expensive, likewise aluminium panels. The Fuji Velvet Matt I've only used once and I had issues with it as the profile didn't give me a completely cast free monochrome image (most of my work is mono) - but DSC are really helpful, and they did reprint it for me and although I can see a very, very slight cast, no-one else would notice. It is very matt and does look like inkjet matt paper, though I think the blacks may come out better on the C-type - though the image I used has no deep blacks. It is also about twice the price of the lustre prints, so in the giclee price zone...
If you are not using glass in your frames, then i think that I would steer more towards ink-jet printing so you could use more textured papers and get a more tactile object that would work well in parallel with your textiles. When I was ink-jet printing at home I did have fun printing onto different materials with some really quite bizarre results - mono prints onto kitchen roll fade to green quite quickly then eventually disappear altogether - not maybe something you'd want to sell!
DSC do small prints really cheaply so I'd suggest you get them to do you a selection box of different papers all from maybe one image.

Update to say that after running a number of samples through DSCL and investing in a calibration device for my monitor I was very pleased with the results using giclee on cotton rag.
Also relevant was that re-printing resulted in all but identical prints as first time around which was re-assuring.

IMGP4976.jpg

I certainly like the surface quality enough not to want to put it behind glass. But it also looks like it is not as robust as C-type and would scuff if not handled carefully.

Also using the P600.

Just did a set and I think I prefer them without any glass.

39694062111_5f96e4e808_b.jpg

Is this a good idea? I fear not.

I hardly ever put my images behind glass as I hate the reflections and loss of contrast that it brings. A giclée print using archival paper such as Fotospeed NST BW has a print life of over 85 years, so I'm not worried about the print degrading over time. Even if it does, I can just print another copy.

Beautiful images by the way! Have you tried the new paper from Fotospeed: Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300? I absolutely love it, and it really suits black and white :)

That is a lovely frame. Can I ask where it came from.

Thank you! Yes of course, the frame is from Wilko and cost £7

See here: http://www.wilko.com/all-photo-frames/wilko-black-photo-frame-14-x-11in/invt/0291028

Hope this helps :)

Lefty

I hardly ever put my images behind glass as I hate the reflections and loss of contrast that it brings. A giclée print using archival paper such as Fotospeed NST BW has a print life of over 85 years, so I'm not worried about the print degrading over time. Even if it does, I can just print another copy.

Beautiful images by the way! Have you tried the new paper from Fotospeed: Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300? I absolutely love it, and it really suits black and white :)
Lefty

I saw their promo and will give it a try. I wanted to do some cotton matt. Although a gloss I read its more of a satin finish and not too shiny.

I've just done about 40 prints on 12"x12" in PFL275. They only do 3 papers in this size and at £1/sheet I've done a nice portfolio of Spanish architecture.

Thank you! Yes of course, the frame is from Wilko and cost £7
See here: http://www.wilko.com/all-photo-frames/wilko-black-photo-frame-14-x-11in/invt/0291028
Lefty

Ah, useful... do the frames go together ok without the glass? I use Ikea frames for my exhibitions, and leave the glass in, because people do poke them! However the Ikea frames don't go together easily without the glass in them. I have about 20 12x12 images to frame, and was looking for nice, but cheap frames - these look ideal.

Wilko, The Range and Ikea, all have a wide selection of frames. On the whole (out of those 3), I reckon that ikea frames are the least robust. Which ones work w/o glass though I don't know.

I've just popped down to my local Wilko and have bought one to play with. The Ikea ones have been good, and cheap, which is important when hanging a whole exhibition, but they are MDF and the bits seem to end up everywhere. I'll try out my Wilko 12x12 with one of my prints, without glass, and will report!

The frame is certainly nice but the lovely print makes the combination outstanding.

Does anyone here make their own frames / inserts?

Thanks for the kind words! :)

I do make my own mounts sometimes (using a Logan mount cutter) but it's not easy! The wastage from mistakes makes it not very cost effective (at least for me and my limited skills!)

I saw their promo and will give it a try. I wanted to do some cotton matt. Although a gloss I read its more of a satin finish and not too shiny.

I've just done about 40 prints on 12"x12" in PFL275. They only do 3 papers in this size and at £1/sheet I've done a nice portfolio of Spanish architecture.

Nice! Yes, PFL275 and PSP290 are my standard papers. Both great value too.

Ah, useful... do the frames go together ok without the glass? I use Ikea frames for my exhibitions, and leave the glass in, because people do poke them! However the Ikea frames don't go together easily without the glass in them. I have about 20 12x12 images to frame, and was looking for nice, but cheap frames - these look ideal.

I find they go together absolutely fine, as long as you use the mount (or make one of your own). The attached picture above is without glass.

Do let us know how you get on with your 12x12 image and the Wilko frame...

Lefty

I've just popped down to my local Wilko and have bought one to play with. The Ikea ones have been good, and cheap, which is important when hanging a whole exhibition, but they are MDF and the bits seem to end up everywhere. I'll try out my Wilko 12x12 with one of my prints, without glass, and will report!

I got my standard 14x11 with A4 aperture mount and glass from Frame Company - £100 for 10 delivered.

Their black Webber frame 16x16 with 12x12 aperture mount is £13.51. They may reduce if you don't want glass.
https://frame-company.co.uk/black-16x16-frame-with-white_2.html
The quality is OK, what you would expect, perfectly acceptable.

Do let us know how you get on with your 12x12 image and the Wilko frame...

I've now got five mono images from my book (In a Different Light) frames, without glass, and on display and they do look very nice. Overall I think I prefer them to the Ikea equivalent as they don't drop MDF bits everywhere, so will be less frustrating to use with glass. I will probably continue to use glass during exhibitions as people do seem to poke the pictures quite regularly!

I've now got five mono images from my book (In a Different Light) frames, without glass, and on display and they do look very nice. Overall I think I prefer them to the Ikea equivalent as they don't drop MDF bits everywhere, so will be less frustrating to use with glass. I will probably continue to use glass during exhibitions as people do seem to poke the pictures quite regularly!

Excellent - good to hear! Yes, I find the Wilko frames to be rather well made for the price. Certainly better than the equivalent Ikea frames. I really need to become more competent at making mounts using my Logan mount cutter. It would be great to get a cheap frame like that and make my own, thick mounts for it :)

Lefty

advertisement

Back