advertisement

LP-12 Naim Aro Owners Please Read

The mounting distance is 211mm +/- 1.5mm, it was never given as a single point by Naim, perhaps mark would be nice enough to post that part of the drawing.

The correct mounting distance is 212,5 mm not 112,5 !

Jacques

Well...to be precise it's 211mm (although it would certainly be a problem if one tried 112.5mm).

I have copies of the original technical drawings for the Aro. On those drawings it states that the mounting distance is 211mm +/- 1.5mm. Therefore, I would say the correct distance is 211mm.

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/aro.html

Specifications

Effective length 230mm

Overhang 18mm

Cartridge weight 5.5 to 12gm

Pivot centre to platter centre 212.5mm

If necessary, I can ask the designer this WE :)

Jacques

Well ask the bleeding designer then because on the plans I have (that presumably he drew) it very clearly states 211mm +/- 1.5mm; now unless he made a mistake that means the ideal distance is 211mm, NOT 212.5mm. I'm sorry if you don't understand this but I am sick of repeating myself. Exactly this point has already been made by Peter of Cymbiosis (who seems to have the same plans I do) but you feel free to believe something to the contrary :rolleyes:.

yeah.

I feel that this horse ( thread ) is beaten to death already.

Thanks Peter for the clarification, tho.

Indeed Kuma, now that Greenstreet have admitted that they made a mistake and have withdrawn their claims the entire thread is complete waste of bandwidth.

I'm hoping this thread will fade away soon.

Unless it gets stupid, of course.

yeah.

I feel that this horse ( thread ) is beaten to death already.

Thanks Peter for the clarification, tho.

Interested to see that link to the Naim web-site stating 212.5. If this thread does nothing else, it might usefully get Naim to correct their web-site to say 211 +/- 1.5mm

Do the drawings show the angle? And provide confirmation of the intended stylus/pivot distance? We could then easily work out what the implications are.

Paul

Yes, Ynwan will know, i seem to remember it was 23 degrees and 18mm overhang, but best check with him. He will not see this post as I'm on his ignore list.

Am I being crass? Is G Lamotte no longer with us? If so I appologise.

No, he's not dead if that is what you mean :).

Do the drawings show the angle? And provide confirmation of the intended stylus/pivot distance? We could then easily work out what the implications are.

Paul

Yes they do - I've worked it all out in the past when I was making up armboards. Assuming the Linn cartridge geometry (stylus point to centre of headshell fixing) 211 is optimum.

Dear Peter,
We at GreenStreet Audio never meant any disrespect towards you or Linn.

We did not rippoff Linn's R&D as it has been suggested on this form. If anyone cares to take the time to measure our sub-chassis and a Keel they will find significant differences. We based ours on the same pocket pattern because it was an excellent starting point, but that is were it ends. We machined, and drilled, sawed pieces off and epoxied them on. Using my 30 years of mechanical engineering experience and our critical ears, I believe we have come up with a product worthy of a listen for our customers who do not have the wherewithal to experiment with a product as expensive as the keel.

I am modifying our website today to remove the incorrect information. Please understand we had, and continue to have, no intention of spreading misinformation. Our marketing technique of using a problem we thought we had discovered was brash and not well founded. Please find it in your hearts to forgive us, we are after all Americans.

Genther,

Thank you for your reply and clarification of points raised.

I am glad you have pointed out that there are "significant differences" between your product and the Linn Keel for Aro, but I do feel it is a major oversight not to have not done some "extensive testing" with this product as you would have realized early on the problems as detailed earlier.

I am glad you are withdrawing the incorrect information from your website.

Regarding clarification of dimensions - I will post all the relevant information as lifted direct from the original 1988 plans later, when I get time, and before this horse (thread) as Kuma says, is beaten to death - Personally, I think this thread could, and probably will be, useful information for people who want to know what's what, regarding the LP12 sub-chassis debate.

I will also contact Naim next week to see if they will allow me to publish one or any of the drawings I have, in order to settle the debate finally in this respect and perhaps to act as an information resource to you guys regarding the Aro's mounting requirements.

Must dash.

Kind regards,

Peter

Ok, just said goodbye to my last customer today, so I have a few minutes to detail some of my fears about some DIY jobs on LP12s or Aro's.

Now then, firstly I do appreciate that you guys would be taking the upmost care with your work, so I'm not trying to scare anyone, rather just to take a light hearted look at the kind of things that do present at my door as a result of little knowledge. Provide a little light reilef if you like! One has to laugh or one would cry!:eek:

Enjoy!:(

Hardly the Martin Colloms approach!

roughjob.jpg

Um, two power supplies are better than one! Erm, I don't think so :rolleyes: You'd think they would have removed the Valhalla if they wanted to use something else? Nice mains wire chop and wonderful cable grip into the plinth... oh yes and no suspension anyway as the arm lead was hard against the spring! Doahhh:(

p10103901.jpg

Top plate to plinth fit is critical to LP12 performance - particularly in the motor corner - Here's one way not to do it!:D

p10102371.jpg

What can I say, other than oops!:eek:

p10309061.jpg

Why the f**k would anyone use a tie-wrap like this!!!:confused:

p10407701.jpg

The owner was a ballet dancer!!! Nice twists:mad: Why??? Doahhhh! - Not to mention the earth fouling on the Valhalla - Nice:D

p10101161.jpg

Nice & why...... there was no need and the Valhalla got mashed into the old baseboard and got quite warm!:eek:

p10008231.jpg

A slightly more likely/serious final picture as I need to post the Aro info and get home to my family:) How many people replace their sub platter into the bearing housing without cleaning the spindle following transportation? Not many I hope. - Wedges under the sub platter so as the bearing is not exposed is so much better for most journeys. If shipping via a carrier then a red bearing cap and spindle sleeve are essential IMHO in keeping contamination out - Can make qute a mess! Erm, new bearing and sub platter sir?:D

picture0381n.jpg

Kind regards,

Peter

Ok guys,

Here is some of the original Aro arm data from summer 1988 - a vintage year for some!;)

aroarmdata.jpg

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter,

Those pix should belong in the Sondek the House of Horros. :D

Curious how those dust got inside the plinth.

I've worked it all out in the past when I was making up armboards. Assuming the Linn cartridge geometry (stylus point to centre of headshell fixing) 211 is optimum.
Mark,
Which Linn cartridge?
Troika I assume?

It does make sense for Naim to give a tolerance window (±1.5).

I am no sure how important to be dead on, cuz, the various cartridges sound different even the measurements are exactly the same.

advertisement

Back