advertisement

XLR or RCA!

Dom500

pfm Member
Has anyone tried both outputs on a source into the same amplifier with all other things being equal and heard a difference?

I recently experimented with both XLR and “normal” cables. The XLR had a more dynamic and musical sound with more separation between instruments. in my case the CD player and amp also had fully balanced internal circuits so that probably helped. Not all equipment with XLR outputs has balanced circuits so the difference in that case may be more about better signal integrity if using a long interconnect.

There are a few variables in play here as well - are the items designed as balanced circuits / dual mono or just single ended.

Some single ended units can output to *pseudo* balanced etc.
So those need to be taken into account here as well, comparing apples to lemons is not going to help.

Edit - as the above post states.

I chose XLR connections because my Aesthetix, Moon and dCS system is balanced and because they lock (making them cleaning lady proof).

The Aesthetix pre amp definitely sounds better when using balanced cables.

I just switched my vintage dCS Delius from its RCA outputs to RCA on my Croft Mega to XLR outs of Delius to RCA in on Croft - no difference heard. So much so I’m swapping back in another week to the RCA-RCA connection. Difference is the cable - about 3m of Klotz La Grange for RCA, Neutrik Swissflex NK2 for the XLR. Jury still out for me 🥴

Ye only need ( if ever ) XLR connectors and cables if yer running 15-20+ metres cable. Many cables/ connectors are only balanced in the marketing dept’s imagination. So “caveat emptor”. 😎

I've never heard any difference using half an xlr instead of the rca out, not where it's solid state derived anyway.

Has anyone tried both outputs on a source into the same amplifier with all other things being equal and heard a difference?

Yes, on my Luxman L-590AXII the XLR sounded louder with better clarity than RCA but the quality of cables may be a factor too. I also heard a difference between two different XLR cables on the same amp.

The XLR interconnects I have cost approximately £1k each while the RCA is £350.

XLR for me when available if for no other reason that my cat isn’t able to pull them out when indulging in one of her mad half hours. Sound wise I never really noticed any difference except with an amp where the RCA inputs roll of the treble a bit compared with the XLR.

Yes, on my Luxman L-590AXII the XLR sounded louder with better clarity than RCA but the quality of cables may be a factor too. I also heard a difference between two different XLR cables on the same amp.

The XLR interconnects I have cost approximately £1k each while the RCA is £350.
XLR often outputs more than RCA. Good example is modern DACs, XLR are more often than not 4V and RCA is 2V.

I'd say XLR more equal than RCA. I exclusively use XLR these days because I can, and as many have pointed out, they make a more secure connection. Other than that, it's down to the care the cables were made with, I believe I can hear differences between cables, or I could as a younger man.

XLR cables to one power amp and RCA's to the other, because that's the only plugs they have in the back. Makes those ones an easy choice I guess.

Where I do have a choice (e.g. DAC to pre), I use XLR, but only because the applicable manufacturers and reviews plugged them as being better. (I.e. No earnest A-B testing to verify and only a cursory comparison to decide).

Absolutely! For example, the XLR inputs on my friend's Emotiva amp sound better than the RCA inputs. It's fully balanced internally, so the RCA inputs require a conversion to that realm.

And of course if you have a long run, then XLR will reject EMI along the way.

Last edited:
And of course if you have a long run, then XLR i will reject EMI along the way.
"Should" rather than "will", I would venture.
You're then down to the implementation, whether it's really balanced, and even if it is, the effectiveness of the CMRR of the "hot" and "cold" pins at the destination etc..

I'd try both connection types, try the XLR especially if you have very long runs, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't make much difference (given equivalent cables). The XLR connection may just be a make weight for a cheaper component and there may be very little "balanced" about it.

On pro audio kit, balanced connections should be better, otherwise it's just a toy.

I have 2 sources with both balanced XLR and single ended RCA outputs, both live.
Balanced puts out double the voltage, so always sounds louder when switching A/B.
Once I’ve corrected, doubt there’s any difference.
For less than 2m , I think my well terminated RCA are absolutely identical.
My mate owns RFC, Reference Fidelity Components , he always says , it’s about the terminations !

advertisement

Back