advertisement

A light-hearted what would you change if you could thread

Go to Google Street View and have a look round. You could start on the High St,

Thanks, I did and saw this which made I smile...

0ecaa126-1bc8-4177-b97a-d42c5ee251b4_image_jpeg.jpg

Reinstate Top of the Pops in a primetime slot:
  • all performances exclusively recorded live in a studio (preferably in the UK TV studio, but anywhere in the world is acceptable if rights given),
  • no miming,
  • no videos,
  • no Pan's People.
  • If you can't get enough acts, go outside the top 40. If the number one song won't cooperate, be bold: don't play 'em - play out with the highest song you've got the rights to.
Here's this week's number one:

Somehow erase the concept of social media from the brains of humans and make it impossible for them to ever conceive it in the future. I have no problem with the internet in general or smartphones, I just believe platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok et al have done more harm to society than good. They're also predominantly inane trash and have caused people just to become even more self absorbed and narcisistic than they ever were (or at least allowed them to express it in ways that wasn't possible before which is just as bad).

NB: I don't consider internet forums to be social media. I'm using the term in it's original meaning back when Facebook, Myspace etc came in to existence. At that time forums and chatrooms were very much not seen as social media.

I'd also very much prefer that the internet wasn't predominantly about selling stuff. Back in the early days if you used a search engine looking for "Bankok Hilton" (for example) you'd get a couple of results giving it's telephone number and address etc, now you''ll get 200 pages of sites trying to sell you a room at the hotel.

oh and I'd force Google, Bing etc to erase all street view data pertaining to residential areas*. I can conceive of no valid reason that people should be able to virtually walk past or "survey" other peoples homes. Voyerism isn't something to be encouranged in my view.
Commercial streets I have no issue with, as it's useful to be able to find shops that you've not visited before, (e.g. to decide if it's somewhere you can drive to and be able to park, or if you have to use public transport), it also helps businesses gain trade.

*On reflection just blurring out everything on residential streets except the road and pavement would be sufficient. It can sometimes be necessary to check side streets for parking when going to a commercial premisis for the first time.

I'll say. I'm currently working in Cowdenbeath. Go to Google Street View and have a look round. You could start on the High St, or you could just go and have a look at the housing on the edge of town. Feel free to report back.
an ex mining town what did you expect 🤣

advertisement

Back