advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I've just lashed out a whole fiver for a Casio F91W. I'll wear it for sport, it has stopwatch, timer, alarm, all sorts. For a fiver. It's advertised as genuine, we'll see when it lands. Apparently there are a number of fakes, even at such a low price. It hardly seems worth bothering. Nevertheless, I think it's still the best selling watch worldwide. I'm looking forward to it landing, it's cost less than a pint of lager.

I've just lashed out a whole fiver for a Casio F91W. I'll wear it for sport, it has stopwatch, timer, alarm, all sorts. For a fiver. It's advertised as genuine, we'll see when it lands. Apparently there are a number of fakes, even at such a low price. It hardly seems worth bothering. Nevertheless, I think it's still the best selling watch worldwide. I'm looking forward to it landing, it's cost less than a pint of lager.
I once managed to buy a fake. The light was pink and it lost about a minute a day.

I once managed to buy a fake. The light was pink and it lost about a minute a day.
I'm hoping for the best. It is advertised as genuine and it's a seller in Hull with good feedback. There is apparently a test that most of the fakes fall foul of, so if I'm in any doubt I'll back it as "not as described". The light on the genuine ones is legendarily crap, so if the one on this is any good then it's certainly a knock-off. As for timekeeping, I've had ridiculously cheap poundland specials keep halfway decent time. We'll see, I'll report back in a week or so when it lands.

It's here! It has a genuine looking Casio tag, and it comes up "CAS1o" when it should, and the backlight is the weedy green thing that they fit as standard. I think I've got a real one! I'll wear it today and report back.shirt
It also has a nasty cheap plasticy strap, you can forget about "you forget it's on your wrist" . If it's a keeper and it works I'll stick a NATO on it for the wannabe survivalist look. Actually, a survivalist would have an automatic, but I'll gloss over that.

You should be able to read it as a search result.

It's not desperately insightful though - just 'watch thefts have increased'.

My mum was just telling me this weekend of a person who was shot and killed for a watch. A tragedy made even worse because the theif had been informed the watch was a Rolex when in fact it was a fake. The guy had been seen wearing it in a restaurant, the waiter told his criminal friends about it and they acosted the person once they left the restaurant. Apparently (though I have no idea how they know this) the guy told the theif that it was a fake, and they didn't believe him.

It’s nuts! Surely the police should have higher priorities than solving luxury watch thefts 🤪
I'd argue that they shouldn't, because they should have sufficient resources to solve all crimes. But I'd agree given limited resources there probably are more serious crimes the police should be solving. That said, watch theft quite often involves some degree of violence, and violence is something I believe the police should very definitely be doing something about.

What's the PFM view on wearing your watch over your shirt sleeve Agnelli style?

rexfeatures_128342a1-e1444063915756.jpg
If you're a middle aged or above Italian then it's fine. For everyone else, just no. :)

No, it's not even right then. Period.

Just because Superman elects to wear his undercrackers outside his onesie doesn't make it ok for the rest of us either :)

My mum was just telling me this weekend of a person who was shot and killed for a watch. A tragedy made even worse because the theif had been informed the watch was a Rolex when in fact it was a fake. The guy had been seen wearing it in a restaurant, the waiter told his criminal friends about it and they acosted the person once they left the restaurant. Apparently (though I have no idea how they know this) the guy told the theif that it was a fake, and they didn't believe him.
Blimey. I'd better be careful with my new F91W then, I'm just going to the supermarket in a tough bit of Bradford.
The thing is, all joking aside, I wouldn't walk round town holding a wallet with £10K clearly visible in it, so I wouldn't do so with a watch. Also, if I did get mugged the first thing I'd tell them was that any watch was worthless. It's a fake, it's a 10 year old £200 Seiko, be my guest, etc. They're probably not going to believe you. Or care, given that they will fence it out to their pal Larry The Watch anyway and he gives them what he gives them.

It was a fake Patek Philippe. Thieves are serving appropriately solid sentences :

Reactions: gez
It’s nuts! Surely the police should have higher priorities than solving luxury watch thefts 🤪
Should they also have higher priorities than solving thefts of cars worth more than 30K, or burglaries in homes worth more than 500K? Is it morally "sort of OK" for criminals to steal, with personal violence, something that someone or other considers a "luxury"? Where do you draw the line?
There are serious principles of legality involved. Granted, anyone would be a fool to walk around a nasty urban area at 3am flashing a huge gold watch. But isn't it a bit like saying a pretty girl should not walk around at night in a short skirt, and the police should have other priorities if she is raped?

The other day some Italian friends told me they had decided not to visit London because of the reports of violent thefts. So all this is not just damaging people with expensive watches, but the entire tourist industry.

It’s not just London. A colleague had his Rolex stolen while in Barcelona last year…
Well I had mine nicked in Rome a couple of years ago (fortunately by cunning rather than violence). It can happen anywhere. But 22,000 a year in London!? And foreigners tend to think of London as an orderly, civilised city. Not Lagos or Rio de Janeiro.

Should they also have higher priorities than solving thefts of cars worth more than 30K, or burglaries in homes worth more than 500K? Is it morally "sort of OK" for criminals to steal, with personal violence, something that someone or other considers a "luxury"? Where do you draw the line?
There are serious principles of legality involved. Granted, anyone would be a fool to walk around a nasty urban area at 3am flashing a huge gold watch. But isn't it a bit like saying a pretty girl should not walk around at night in a short skirt, and the police should have other priorities if she is raped?
+1. Crimes involving violence, especially violence with robbery, are rightly at the very top of the police priority list. They don't give too much of a toss about the property, but premeditated violence, whether it's robbery, rape or murder, is the number 1 of all catogories of crime.

Well I had mine nicked in Rome a couple of years ago (fortunately by cunning rather than violence). It can happen anywhere. But 22,000 a year in London!? And foreigners tend to think of London as an orderly, civilised city. Not Lagos or Rio de Janeiro.
True. Those are insane numbers. I saw a YouTube watch channel based out of Singapore and the presenters were obviously very disparaging of the situation in London (they probably would be regardless). The theme was what ‘beater’ to wear while out on the streets of London (limited edition Seiko 5s came out quite highly).

Where does the figure of 22,000 come from? The FT story quoted the Met as saying 7,500, about a third of that.

advertisement

Back