advertisement

Trip Hop - Unkle, Tricky, Portishead, Allflaws

That confused me, @smike

I have their 3 albums, the most recent released this year - Somnum - I may have posted a track here.
The blurb for the video for your post states that it is from their third LP - "Where We Bring Our Burdens" . This does not exist (as yet) and seems to be/may eventually be, an EP - the 5 tracks (so far) can be downloaded individually but perhaps not as the EP (I don't do downloads).

Yes I'm confused as well. I thought their third album was Somnum. I think the EP is collaboration with an artist called BEA.

Lol of course it with BEA it's written on the title. Anyway I do like Haelos, they have got a really good sound.

Thanks @smike - Beatowls, Marma arrived today - totally magic album - one of the best discoveries in quite a while. Cracking good mastering, pressing here too.

Recently I have been struggling to find anything that comes close.

Beatowls seem to have a webpage via their label - Violette, but it requires a passowrd to access it - not exactly ideal - the obvious use of Beatowls did not work. Nothing on Bandcamp, so far as I can find.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks @smike - Beatowls, Marma arrived today - totally magic album - one of the best discoveries in quite a while. Cracking good mastering, pressing here too.

Beatowls seem to have a webpage via their label - Violette, but it requires a passowrd to access it - not exactly ideal - the obvious use of Beatowls did not work. Nothing on Bandcamp, so far as I can find.

Hey no worries. Yes I've been listening to the new album from Beatowls. I think I'm going to buy it too on Vinyl. Definitely one of the best current releases. I've had it on repeat. It's really worth having in the collection.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Violette do an amazing job of hiding their artist details. There's no site navigation to them at all. This page is however there:

as is:

and probably others, but just you try finding them on the site itself!

Enjoying the beatowls, and they're from Liverpool, so got to support local stuff

Thanks for that @James Evans.
It is far, far easier to browse the Violette channel on YouTube - plenty of interesting stuff, but nothing that I'd buy, to be honest.
Beatowls are the stand-out band.

Is France so far off the mainstream as they were going back 50-60+ years?

Liking her new stuff. Trip Hop with an industrial edge

I have been dipping my toe in her music for a few years, online, but it has never grabbed me enough to buy - small doses only for me, although this one is new to me and, for me, a bit more mainstream than a lot of her stuff.

To be honest, her music is so unusual/odd/different, that I had never considered it as anything much more than oddball goth.

I have been dipping my toe in her music for a few years, online, but it has never grabbed me enough to buy - small doses only for me, although this one is new to me and, for me, a bit more mainstream than a lot of her stuff.

To be honest, her music is so unusual/odd/different, that I had never considered it as anything much more than oddball goth.
I'm the same with her. I only usually like a few of her tracks on each project.

Just came across this thread and it has been added to my watched list.

I'll do my best to go through the whole thing at some point, but there's a lot to get through across 28 pages!

Apologies if these have been mentioned before, but a small contribution from me:

- Tosca (a collaboration between Richard Dorfmeister (of Kruder and Dorfmeister fame) and Rupert Huber. For any fans of K&D looking for more along the same lines. The album 'Suzuki' is a personal fave.

- Hugo Kant (great electronic production but also with real strings and other instruments - 'Out of Time' is probably the best starting point.

Plenty more besides, but I'll save them up rather than bombard the thread with a big list.

Assume people on here picked up on that fabulous Tricky album from last year featuring Marta Złakowska on vocals - 'When It's Going Wrong'. Stunning set, with the only criticism being that its not long enough!

Cheers folks and I look forward to finding some new stuff on here 👍

Tosca - the Osam LP is excellent.

For me, not really very trippy, but one of our favourites has a new single out, which is OK. (Still no hard copy of anything from them that I have ever found.)

Just came across this thread and it has been added to my watched list.

I'll do my best to go through the whole thing at some point, but there's a lot to get through across 28 pages!

Apologies if these have been mentioned before, but a small contribution from me:

- Tosca (a collaboration between Richard Dorfmeister (of Kruder and Dorfmeister fame) and Rupert Huber. For any fans of K&D looking for more along the same lines. The album 'Suzuki' is a personal fave.

- Hugo Kant (great electronic production but also with real strings and other instruments - 'Out of Time' is probably the best starting point.

Plenty more besides, but I'll save them up rather than bombard the thread with a big list.

Assume people on here picked up on that fabulous Tricky album from last year featuring Marta Złakowska on vocals - 'When It's Going Wrong'. Stunning set, with the only criticism being that its not long enough!

Cheers folks and I look forward to finding some new stuff on here 👍
Thanks for recommending Tosca

Tosca - the Osam LP is excellent.

For me, not really very trippy, but one of our favourites has a new single out, which is OK. (Still no hard copy of anything from them that I have ever found.)

Really cool track. Added to my playlist ;)

Well, I'm up to page 3...:)

First thing I've noticed is the (quite understandable) stretching of the boundaries of 'trip hop' in terms of suggestions. No bad thing at all as far as I'm concerned.

Was going to mention Submotion Orchestra, but I see that's been mentioned before. Love their debut 'Finest Hour'. A personal favourite. Again, not strictly trip hop, but close enough.

The jazzy influence is a key appeal for me.

On that subject, has anyone mentioned Kiefer? Downtempo jazzy beats probably worthy of the thread (a bit more 'hop' than 'trip', but anyway). Album from last year as below. HappySad is probably his most typical album.

199009-kiefer-its-ok-b-u.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back