advertisement

Nikon Df II: Electric boogaloo

I've just watched a good youtube review by someone called Ricci. He even takes sandpaper to the thing to see what it will look like as it wears!

Presumably with the adapter ring you can use all or most of Nikon's legacy F mount lenses?

Yes, no problem at all. I do this on my Z6. I customise the red movie button to zoom the finder for focussing.
The balance of the camera still feels a bit off with the adapter and lens, compared to a classic film camera.

I think the FM2n was my favorite camera, great that this is a bit like it in ergonomic function, shutter dial at the top, ISO on the left, which looks like it locks in place.

I think the FM2n was my favorite camera, great that this is a bit like it in ergonomic function, shutter dial at the top, ISO on the left, which looks like it locks in place.

Yes, if you drew someone a diagram of what a camera is and how it works you’d draw a Nikon FM2 (or FM, I can’t remember the difference). Everything exactly where it should be and exactly the shape it should be. There will inevitably be a Leica owner along soon to tell me I’m wrong, but much as I love things like the F, F2, Nikkormat, Spotmatic, OM1 etc, the FM/FM2 is the correct answer.

Earlier cams like the Pentax ME super were similar. I agree about the Nikon, I had a FM2n for years, but much earlier had used an OM1 and in many ways preferred those ergonomics.

Does this mean my DF will plummet in price :(

I doubt it - unless the Zf captures some of the magic of the Df's sensor (and the D700 before it), I would hope values will remain strong. Much as I enjoyed my Leica M240, I don't regret moving it on in the same way I did the Df.

Yes, if you drew someone a diagram of what a camera is and how it works you’d draw a Nikon FM2 (or FM, I can’t remember the difference). Everything exactly where it should be and exactly the shape it should be. There will inevitably be a Leica owner along soon to tell me I’m wrong, but much as I love things like the F, F2, Nikkormat, Spotmatic, OM1 etc, the FM/FM2 is the correct answer.
I thought so as well until I handled one. Being left eye dominant means the advance lever sticks you in the forehead when taking a photo (it needs to be cocked at 30 degrees to release the shutter).

I doubt it - unless the Zf captures some of the magic of the Df's sensor (and the D700 before it), I would hope values will remain strong. Much as I enjoyed my Leica M240, I don't regret moving it on in the same way I did the Df.
That's good to know , DF is a keeper and my 2 D700's :)

I thought so as well until I handled one. Being left eye dominant means the advance lever sticks you in the forehead when taking a photo (it needs to be cocked at 30 degrees to release the shutter).

That is a very good point. So many if not all cameras are just right-handed devices ergonomically, though I’d not considered eye-dominance despite my being very right-eye dominant myself. I guess that is one huge advantage of modern smartphones etc. An iPhone will get the picture regardless which hand you hold it in or which eye is stronger.

I used it with my left eye, i think i must have taken it away from my face to wind it on.

The F3s (F3 shutters were prone to failure) and F4s and i think the later F's too were all ergonomically outstanding, if a bit heavy, designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, who designed some of the world greatest cars. I might have a look at the DF next time i'm near a camera shop.

I used it with my left eye, i think i must have taken it away from my face to wind it on.
It’s not so much winding as firing the shutter. You have to have it sticking out from the body to take a photo. I found it uncomfortable compared to my little ME Super or M6. A pity as it’s a lovely thing.

It’s not so much winding as firing the shutter. You have to have it sticking out from the body to take a photo. I found it uncomfortable compared to my little ME Super or M6. A pity as it’s a lovely thing.

Yeah. I have an FE but almost never used it. I'm left handed / left eyed and the design never really worked for me. I'm a Nikon user of 25 years and much prefer other cameras they made. I bought an Olympus OM2n a few years ago and it's been wonderful. That life size viewfinder draws me in every time.

I've got an FE2 and several OM2n models. I love them both. The OMs are an absolute joy to handle and use. The 'winder out' thing on the FE is a bit odd, it tends to catch me out when I compose a picture before remembering, then have to recompose. You can miss the moment.

The ‘winder out’ thing has been there at least since the Nikkormat days, my FTn is just the same. Being right-eyed it isn’t an issue for me personally, but one can certainly argue it is bad ergonomics even if convenient for the majority. Good design shouldn’t exclude.

PS I certainly forgot to turn my OM1 meter off a few times which meant I went through batteries rather faster than I should. I can certainly see why folk liked the Nikon system. I guess it is all irrelevant now as nothing has a winder and everything will auto-off after a preset time.

I had pre-ordered the Zf but I’ve cancelled. The main reason is that I want to see what the Z6iii will be like. I already have a Zfc and Z7ii so it’s not like I need a new camera body, I can wait. I think one retro / dial camera is possibly enough. My Df has been sold ☹️ as in the end I needed to fully commit to the Nikon Z world, aside from 3 AI lenses with work wonderfully with the Z bodies.

Nice chat. I still have my FM2 and a D-something but of course I don’t use them anymore. They have become ornaments.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back