advertisement

Suggest a deck

Ian G

pfm Member
My daughter has asked for suggestions for her partner's 40th, he has talked about a record deck in the past. She is thinking upto 1k
Can be second hand. I gave up on vinyl years ago so don't have an opinion on the matter.

Black or wooden no silver..
Could be a DD.
He will need a phono amp but this would be additional cost.

He has very decent PMC amp, top PMC speakers, 2 subs. Source is streaming at the moment.

Thanks for suggestions

I think you've already got the best suggestions. Either a Rega or a Technics, both are great record players and the decision comes down to taste as much as anything.

If he likes the DJ vibe and heritage, a Technics. Sounds good, very well made and reliable with lots of useful features.

Rega are very different. Minimalist, all manual but sound great and have a lifetime warranty.

A grand will buy you a used Linn LP12 but that's a lot more involved. Unless you know what you're doing or can buy from someone you trust it's risky, like buying a vintage car. I'd buy the LP12 but for someone new to vinyl I'd go for a Technics or Rega.

As above, the two that came up to me as well, avoid if Technics include Ortofon Red 2M, thats really a poor cartridge.

I think it's fine and it can be changed. It's a bit expense for what it is but it's not a terrible cartridge.

One thing I'd ask is whether he just wants to plonk it down and listen to it or is happy to think about what it is placed on etc. If it's the former he probably needs to get a deck that is less susceptible to whatever it is sitting on. Not sure of the Technics and Rega which that would be as have never owned a Technics or whether something else maybe a better option. As he has a reasonable system however this may not be a concern as he may be happy to site it properly.

Would be a good idea to check if your amp has a phono input so he can play with it straight away if he wants to

Thanks so far, his amplifier doesn't have a phono input, PMC Corr. I would think he'd not enjoy perpetual fettling to keep it on song so LP12 probably out.

So no phono = Technics 1500 in black. It's inbuilt phono is fine, and easily outclasses the Ortofon red. Swap the stylus for the 'blue' (not very costly) and he can plug straight in to a line input and get going. I owned one to replace a 6G belt drive deck and am quite happy with what it does.

Project X1B , Debut Pro , Debut Pro S
Pro-Ject X1B Turntable and S3B Phono Stage Review | AVForums

Pro-Ject Debut PRO S Turntable Package | Hi-Fi News (hifinews.com)

pro-ject-debut-pro-s-turntable.jpg

Project-X1-scaled-1-1080x797.jpg

If you think he's likely to just want a plug and play solution, no faff and won't want to be upgrading the Technics decks are hard to beat. Look around as you often to offers on them. Might get a GR.

advertisement

Back