advertisement

Rega Isis / Osiris Balanced XLR Balanced Interconnect

John Little

pfm Member
Does anyone know what balanced IC Rega use or used with the designed these units?

Rega has a new Couple 3 IC available but apparently they don't make the balanced version.

I have been comparing the RCA IC that came with Isis and find it competes well against expensive balanced ICs. The Rega IC is at a disadvantage being unbalanced.

Anyone know what Rega uses with these units?

Thats a great question which my Rega dealer wasn’t able to answer last time we chatted about subject.
Guess its special order only.
Admittedly I completely forgot my itch.
He sold me couple 3 though, superb cable for my Rega boxes, but this thread picked my itch again,
Also I was sort of fcucked up the couple 2 plugs, they sit damn close and I never seem to remember which way I need to dial :)

I don't think the boxes is true balanced, this would make little sense but in a studio or on a audiophool brand.
Sure some clever people can teach me.
thanks

I don't see the advantage of balanced unless it's a long cable run or you have a noise issue. If the plain vanilla phono leads work well I'd forget about it.

I do think you can probably improve on the Couple though.

I had good results with a TQ Black Ultra borrowed from my dealer when I was trialing an Osiris with my Isis back in the day. Don't know whether it was due to the quality of the cable or it's XLR configuration...

Rega Balanced XLR Cable 1.0m - Product Description

Utilising a lead designed by Klotz, the world's foremost music processing cable manufacturer and the highest specification XX series plugs from Neutrik, the Rega Balanced XLR combines extremely low capacitance, double shielding and high stability ensuring exceptional performance and a perfect match with the Rega ISIS CD player and OSIRIS amplifier.
  • high quality XLR cable, designed for use with the reference-level Rega Isis and Osiris
  • 1.0m length
  • Insulation - PE
  • Capacitance - 75pF/m
  • Conductor Material - 0.50mm2 Stranded bare copper wire
  • Cable Type - 2 Core twisted pair
  • Overall Shield - Double Shielded counter rotation.
32050-1-1.jpg

Any idea where I can purchase this online?:

Rega Balanced XLR Cable 1.0m - Product Description

I've talked a couple of Rega dealer who say Rega doesn't make these. It's kinda strange they don't have this available considering they recommend using the XLR balanced cable between the Osiris and Isis. Love to know what Rega voices these units with.

Who cares? I do! Strange logic, why not source what they use to voice their equipment? Many people don't have the option of comparative listens, opinions of others and the designer help narrow the field at least.

Where's Paul Darwin?

Oh, sorry John, how remiss, just having a glass of wine and a relax :oops:.

We discontinued the XLR Couple as sales were minimal and the costs of continuing were unsustainable.

It was always open to conjecture as to whether balanced or single ended gave the better performance with opinion divided, I personally thought (and still do) that the RCA connections were preferable, but we included the option to enable people to try different options and different cables and decide for themselves - damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess.

PD

Thanks Paul, doesn't Rega officially recommend balanced for these units? Without having the option of comparing different cables I would like to know what Rega uses/demonstrates the units with. A Couple 2 or 3? What Rega uses is important IMO.

If they do use the Couple is the 3 worth a try over the 2? It's not expensive to give it a try vs some balanced cables which can get very expensive.

Hi i have the Osiris Isis combo. I have tried various cables. The XLR is more dynamic but i struggled with the extra gain and I listen at lowish levels

i have stuck with a Vertere redline but the Couple 3s are great as well

Interesting comment about the XLR being more dynamic. I find the XLR has way more volume and I have to turn down the volume dial to compensate. This then begs the question is the lower volume effecting my amp/speaker performance. I have Naim NBLs and they seem to open up when fed more power. Is this a reason potentially the unbalanced might work better?

There may well be some perceived notion of extra dynamic headroom, however, this will strictly be down to Isis nominal output on RCA being 2.2mV vs 4.4mV via XLR (plus input sensitivity differences between Osiris unbalanced vs. balanced). This doesn't necessarily equate to any change in headroom within a connected amplifier, only a given volume control position will be closer to the end stops on balanced vs. unbalanced. Regardless, other than market pressure, there is no real justification for balanced on domestic hi-fi with circa 1m interconnects. Rega long ago had the right idea with Hal and Exs/Exon (clamshell), wherein, they employed unbalanced stereo XLR connections between pre and power amps, with handed cables for L vs R Exon monoblocks (similar to NAIM with NAP135 in that the mono amps weren't handed, only the cables were). A more robust locking connector there never was, especially so with Neutrik plugs and sockets.

Rega Exs atop Hal (note 2 x stereo Neutrik panel sockets on Hal for use with 2 x mono Exon (clamshell) or 2 x stereo Exs for passive bi-amp:
con-UWJsdc-765356.jpg

I have 2 Cardas Clear Rev1 ICs, one balanced and one RCA. Compared the balance vs unbalanced and there is a definate volume difference between the cables. The balanced seems to have more headroom but can sound brash at times.

With this comparison I prefer the unbalanced.

What threw me off was when I bought the Cardas RCA I compared it to the Rega RCA and clearly preferred the Cardas so I proceeded to order the balanced Cardas and never looked back. I assumed the balanced would be better. Out of curiosity recently I put the Rega back on and the difference wasn't huge, but this was comparing a balanced Cardas against an unbalanced Rega IC.

Unbalanced seems to be the way to go for me.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom