advertisement

Your worst HiFi/Audio purchases ever...?

NAD speakers, I was very young, they lasted about two weeks then one of the tweeters made a fizzing noise and turned in on itself like it was having a stroke.

Were you using the onboard DAC?

My experience is terrible using onboard DAC, excellent using a separate DAC hat.

No, just as a streamer. As a streamer, it is diabolically bad in comparison to what else is available. I saw sense though eventually.

No, just as a streamer. As a streamer, it is diabolically bad in comparison to what else is available. I saw sense though eventually.

I use an RPi4 with Allo Digione hat as a streamer into a Wadia X-21 - Radio Paradise (using a browser in RaspPi-OS) never sounded better? Equally TV media sound via same using…shit, I forgot name of XBMC replacement :D

I use an RPi4 with Allo Digione hat as a streamer into a Wadia X-21 - Radio Paradise (using a browser in RaspPi-OS) never sounded better? Equally TV media sound via same using…shit, I forgot name of XBMC replacement :D

Cool story!

Hmm - cooler than your story I suspect :) I started with an RPi3 with audiophonics DAC hat - nothing special. Then swapped in a Pioneer NP50 all-in-one - much better, then got a Rega DAC-R for peanuts, so fed Pioneer SPDIf digi out to Rega, much better again. Then I bought an el-cheapo TDA1541 DAC, fitted an S1 chip to it, and much better than Rega (which I sold). Then I got an RPi4 with HiFiBerry Digi+ hat (using native RaspPi-OS) to replace Pioneer, better again - best quality of internet radio and downloaded video media audio I had heard. Next was a vintage Micromega Duo house-brick DAC, even better. Then more recently a Wadia X-32 DAC - the HiFiBerry hat would not lock, I bought an Allo DIgione hat to try - into the Micromega it sounded much better than the HiFiBerry, into the Wadia (which locked to the Allo) even better again.

that’s where I am currently - also tried transparent technologies and MHDT Labs vintage DACs to compare to Wadia…no comparison to my ears.

why not share your “story”? And sorry to all for heading a bit off-topic :D

I put a hicap on my 32.5/110 and could hear no difference at all. The three chrome bumpers looked good together though.
I didn’t notice a hi cap made any difference until I put a TPR4 in and then it was very noticeable

I also started with Acoustic Research speakers , mine were AR7 but eventually I changed to AR3imp which I still have and love. They are 4 ohm speakers and not all amps can drive them

Having tried a 110 with a whole range of speakers my advice would be: if it can’t drive them, don’t buy a hicap, change the speakers. Or buy a 140. Or another 110.

I didn’t notice a hi cap made any difference until I put a TPR4 in and then it was very noticeable

I also started with Acoustic Research speakers , mine were AR7 but eventually I changed to AR3imp which I still have and love. They are 4 ohm speakers and not all amps can drive them
+1 for the TPR4. Made the human voices just like if they were in the room with me on my 32.5/Hicap/160 BD.

A tie between the Linn Intek and the Epos M12i. The Linn was the dullest sounding amp I’ve ever owned. I couldn’t wait to return it. In contrast the Epos so bright that they were unlistenable….also couldn’t wait to return them.

A tie between the Linn Intek and the Epos M12i. The Linn was the dullest sounding amp I’ve ever owned. I couldn’t wait to return it. In contrast the Epos so bright that they were unlistenable….also couldn’t wait to return them.

I agree on the Intek, I never bought one, but at the time I was considering an integrated for another setup. Went and listened to it and was totally let down by all accounts. Bland for sure.

A couple of items l forgot.....

Audio Tecnica AT OC5 phono cartridge- so bright it made one's teeth ache- sold on pronto.

Impulse H7 loudspeaker- again very, very bright, thin and fatiguing , had these on long term home loan- luckily dealer let me upgrade to the H6 model which l still own to this day.

The aerial I bought for my Naim Nat 01 Tuner. Balanced behind the stereo it dropped down and shorted the output sockets of my brand new Exposure amplifier destroying its output stages.

advertisement

Back