advertisement

The Children Poll

How many children do you have? Select a number and reason.

Votes: 41 32.0%

Votes: 16 12.5%

Votes: 44 34.4%

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • 4+

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • My/Partners decision

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • Decided for me (medical or circumstances)

Votes: 20 15.6%

• Total voters
Caveat: I do love Thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food, though. It's the grease, tastelesness and heavy Chinese rice I don't really like. I spent a year in Shanghai and still could not get into it. Didn't seem much better than the local take away slop served in the UK.

The best Asian food I have ever eaten ( and it remains some of the best food of any sort that I have ever eaten ) was Vietnamese food that I ate in either of two restaurants that I found in Paris about about 35 years ago. The food was so epic I still think about it to this day. I went back 5 years after that and ,try as I might , I could not find either restaurant again. It has struck me ever since that maybe there was an element of Le Grand Meaulnes about it and that it was meant to be thus.

I have had Chinese food in five different countries of the world and it all tasted the same ( grey ) , looked the same ( grey ) and was all bitterly disappointing.

I have had Chinese food in five different countries of the world and it all tasted the same ( grey ) , looked the same ( grey ) and was all bitterly disappointing.

some of the nicest Chinese food I've had was in India. Although the best in HKG.

The best Asian food I have ever eaten ( and it remains some of the best food of any sort that I have ever eaten ) was Vietnamese food that I ate in either of two restaurants that I found in Paris about about 35 years ago. The food was so epic I still think about it to this day. I went back 5 years after that and ,try as I might , I could not find either restaurant again. It has struck me ever since that maybe there was an element of Le Grand Meaulnes about it and that it was meant to be thus.

Roger that. I have eaten in most key China cities and Hong Kong. I recall HK was the best of a bad bunch.

My year in Shanghai ended up quickly being a burger, pizza and curry year. Disappointing, since I had turned very Thai whilst in Thailand. I was even going for really spicey rice dishes for breakfast every day. Never ate burgers etc. 3 Thai meals a day for nearly 6 years pretty much.

“Indeed. But try explaining that to the parent with three kids who is tutting at your used once a week Porsche.”

Or some here who tut those for for leaving their amp on 24/7.

Perhaps a carbon tax on children is the answer until we can get these hypocrites to stop procreating?

HK has spectacular restaurants of all types.
I like all Asian food except Filipino.
There are so many types of Chinese food I find it extraordinary that someone would not like any of it. Of course there are disappointing restaurants everywhere.

HK has spectacular restaurants of all types.
I like all Asian food except Filipino.
There are so many types of Chinese food I find it extraordinary that someone would not like any of it. Of course there are disappointing restaurants everywhere.
Well, I spent a year there in the Cosmopolitan centre. The only place I returned to was the Mongolian BBQ near the US Embassy.

HK is certainly good. I haven’t been impressed with food is Beijing or Shanghai. Kuala Lumpur is very good for all Asian food esp. Chinese and Indian. My wife is there just now and keeps sending me pictures of food, the bugger :)

HK is certainly good. I haven’t been impressed with food is Beijing or Shanghai. Kuala Lumpur is very good for all Asian food esp. Chinese and Indian. My wife is there just now and keeps sending me pictures of food, the bugger :)

Strangely enough I was not so impressed with KL restaurants. Had the worst Indian meal in my life there in Bombay Palace and had invited friends: very embarrassing. I assume their positive Tripadvisor comments are fake.
Best Indian meals in my life in Gaggan in Bangkok.

My kids love uk Chinese food. I did not really like the food in Shanghai and Nanjing. Food in Bangkok was fine as was the food in Taiwan but the best food I had was in Jakarta from local Indonesian restaurants. Malaysian food was a mixed bag but ok in general but mostly from hotel restaurants. Never got to try proper traditional Malay food as the local guy I had visiting with me took me to an Indian place for lunch. Lovely but not really representative.

My kids love uk Chinese food. I did not really like the food in Shanghai and Nanjing. Food in Bangkok was fine as was the food in Taiwan but the best food I had was in Jakarta from local Indonesian restaurants. Malaysian food was a mixed bag but ok in general but mostly from hotel restaurants. Never got to try proper traditional Malay food as the local guy I had visiting with me took me to an Indian place for lunch. Lovely but not really representative.

one of the best Indians I had was in PJ. I was lucky in that the husband of my Malaysian agent owned a trad Malaysian restaurant, we had some fantastic food, including visits to some fantastic Nonya restaurants in Penang.

I loved the food in Taiwan, especially in Khaoshiang. Indonesian in Jakarta was ok, but I way preferred Balinese. Best Chinese I ate was in Harbin.

Indian and Bangladeshi were my favourites though.

one of the best Indians I had was in PJ.

Me too. Well just next door at Bang Sar in a large food square of mainly cheapish restaurants, at the time popular with expats. Except it was a Pakistani restaurant. Plastic chairs and tables, neon lights and no air con. Nothing has come close since.

Here's a cheery note. I find a feeling of guilt popping into my head more and more the older I get that the world I've brought them into is heading for a cataclysmic change that I wont be around to witness or to protect them from.
Same. Even putting aside the likelihood of ecopalypse, so much of ordinary life is suffering that you could probably do a chart for it, like one of those carbon footprint ones, and as with those find that having a child is adding more to the sum of human suffering than, I don't know, punching random strangers in the street, daily, for the rest of your life. Probably the same goes for love though so maybe it all evens out.

Anyway, night all!

We need future generations to repair the planet to create a superb living environment for them though. Yes if we just all ****ed off, the planet would recover, but it would take a very long time, all that plastic will still be in the oceans, chemicals seeping into water tables etc etc. This needs human interaction to fix.

We have screwed up the ecology in just 50 years, I think in 50 years time with education and implementation the planet will again be a healthier place. Need people to do this, so I’m educating mine to realise what we have, and what we need to do to improve the situation.

We have spent thousands of years changing the planet. Most of the Sahara is us. The natural state of the UK is forrest. The moors and dales are thanks to sheep farming.

The world population is almost 8 billion.

In 1960 it was less than half that.

In 1900 it was about 2 billion.

We can fix the world with 2 billion or less. Which means we should only allow every other couple to reproduce and have but one child (4 to 1 reduction in a generation). Pull back the human race into enclaves of sustainable development. Mend the planet as best as possible. Process the waste. Whilst also exploring the rest of the universe. Where we probably can continue to expand, responsibly. Eventually.

one of the best Indians I had was in PJ. I was lucky in that the husband of my Malaysian agent owned a trad Malaysian restaurant, we had some fantastic food, including visits to some fantastic Nonya restaurants in Penang.

I loved the food in Taiwan, especially in Khaoshiang. Indonesian in Jakarta was ok, but I way preferred Balinese. Best Chinese I ate was in Harbin.

Indian and Bangladeshi were my favourites though.

I've not been priveleged to eat in such exotic places.. but my daughter has. Once when she was in Bangladesh working, she sent me a vid of the view from the car as she was being driven (very slowly) through Dhaka by her obligatory 'minder' and a Bangladeshi colleague. He was heard to clearly ask. "What's your preference for lunch Steph? MacDonald's.... or Pizza Hut?"

advertisement

Back