advertisement

Name the best speakers you have EVER heard please

Shahinian Diapasons, in fact any of the range of Shahinian.

My active Isobariks with 250's was very nice though, used to frequent Russ Andrews HiFi in Edinburgh at the weekends for years, when I first heard them thought, must have, and did eventually.

Kef Muons...by a large margin. The imagery and control was awesome. A couple of years ago at the Windsor HiFi show.

I listen to quite a varied range of music, but I haven't lived with many speakers, which imo is the only way to get the best idea of their performance. I can easily reccomend my JVC SX-911's (currently listening to a bit of Kid Cudi) although from expirience their quite sensative to the quality/power of the amplifier.

Hopefully the passage of time is not making me consider these through 'rose coloured hearing aids', but still the best I have heard in the passage of many years are the the Apogee Scintilla's, 1 Ohm version, (more than the 'Full Range' for me) and the Beverage Electrostatics. I have never had a room big enough for either.

Of more modern speakers brief auditions of the Vivid Giya's have impressed, so I must try to hear the 'Spirits'.

The best sound from a set of speakers i have ever heard and this would cover all genres was from a pair of these. Sorry no idea of their model number they are Westlake monitors though.

attachment.php

ATC 50s. I think I’ve heard a little Rap through them (we all make mistakes).

But they only sing when turned up a notch or two. Not ‘loud’, but louder than one always can/wants to.

A close second, I’d nominate* (my current) NS1000Ms. Now that I’ve had long enough to get to know them quite well, I accept they don’t match the ATC mid-range for pure clarity (I’ve heard nothing that does), but for all-round wonderfulness and usability, they’re the best I’ve had the pleasure of at home.

* Unfortunately, I cannot, as they are, as yet, ‘unsullied’.

KEF LS50 equalised for flat frequency response with ZRB bass extenders, which turns them into a 3-way semi-active system.
Absolutely astonishing.

I went to buy a pair of Martin Logans and auditioned them with a range of music. The seller had a 3 seater sofa for listening, but you had to sit on the middle seat to get the full effect, and even leaning one way or the other meant they lost something. Absolutely fantastic sound, but impractical.

Having lived with ESL 57s, Active Briks and ATC 50s the one speaker I still lust after are a pair of RMS Revelation Mk 2 which are as rare as hen's teeth and the one product Mr Wolstenhome made which was up there with the Grad 1.

The following immediately spring to mind:

Quad ESL-63 (vocals)
Wilson Watt Puppy 7
Featrex Horns (lost the note of the precise model)

Thanks, some really interesting suggestions there to look up. This was more for curiosity than a genuine desire to upgrade in the near future. But it would be nice to have the info if any stellar speakers turned up used at a bargain price!

It's a real shame that some people have decided to make some kind of point about my choice of music. I thought that sort of thing wasn't done on an enthusiasts forum.

I listen to a wide range of music but it's all of a related genre ie hip hop, rap, electro, drum and bass, jungle, reggae, ragga and even some grime. I can happily defend it as a real form of music and one that has been a form of sociopolitical commentary for decades.

A voice and a channel of expression for those that often are disenfranchised by reason of race, social class, religion etc.

I have no interest in listening to the sort of music that I usually hear at shows and at dealers, ie the usual 'audiophile stuff'. However I respect the fact that music means very different things to different people.

Shame others can't do the same.

Best I've owned are the KEF 201/2, then for a sensible best I've heard has to be the ATC SCM50ASL, outstanding.
On top of that, its really esoteric stuff thats either DIY or not realistically achievable.

I’m lucky enough to have both of the best speakers I’ve heard (in different ways)...

First the Revel Salon 2’s, perhaps the perfect conventional speaker.

Second my Living Voice Air Partners, it’s just laughable how much better these are than anything else. It’s as if all your life you’d been playing cd’s without removing them from their jewel case...

advertisement

Back