advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three posts above illustrate why I'm fascinated by this thread.

I've been following it for a couple of years even though I have "no dog in the fight" so to speak.

I'd like to ask a few questions of the people who do "have a dog in the fight"

1. Assuming you get the product you are signed up for, how much better do you think it will be than anything available in the shops now?

2. Why didn't you simply go out and buy something?

3. Are you music fans or electronics fans?

Thanks. Genuinely interested in responses.

1) I'm fairly confident that it will out perform DACs several multiples higher in price as its a not for profit project. Simply a love affair.

2) I'm actually pretty much satisfied with the original MDAC, But this project will hopefully be so much better value for money. DCs is the other one I like.

3) Music when it connects affects me on a deep emotional level and as Linn say 'music is life'. Because of this aspect, I always want more...like a forlorn addict...hence I've become interested in electronics to learn what prevents/limits me from getting more 'music'.

I really believe you are missing out on this love affair. It's better to have 'longed' and loved than never to have loved at all.

Sure. I have a Cinema Source/PreAmp-OPPO BDP-105 direct into an NCore NC500 Stereo Amplifier, to Monitor Audio PL200 Loudspeakers (amongst other power amps into Center and Rear MA Loudspeakers)...

The MDAC2 will sit inbetween the OPPO and Stereo NCore Amplifier - with Bypass enabled, the Cinema signal passes through the MDAC2 passively, with Bypass disabled (MDAC2 just needs to be powered ON) then the DAC is sending signal to the Amplifier and Loudspeakers

(So you get the best of both worlds in one system)

I just want the box I've paid for. With that in mind
1. Sonically indistinguishable, more bells and whistles
2. I have. I just want the box I've paid for.
3. Neither. I am a fan of receiving the boxes I have paid for.

Strange, but good! This old version seems to reduce the popping noises I had when i plugged my intel NUC (OS Daphile) on the M-Dac.

I'm not sure USB is really good on this little computer. Do you think a new external usb interface could be benefic for my "old" M-Dac? I'm thinking about littles boards with xmos xu208 chip or something like that.

I'm sorry John...
It was just an innocent question.

Thanks for your help.
I will keep an eye on the detox.

The three posts above illustrate why I'm fascinated by this thread.

I've been following it for a couple of years even though I have "no dog in the fight" so to speak.

I'd like to ask a few questions of the people who do "have a dog in the fight"

1. Assuming you get the product you are signed up for, how much better do you think it will be than anything available in the shops now?

As I am only in the queue for a DETOX, I only have a puppy in the fight but offer these responses to your questionss...

1) Having evaluated a "similar" competitive product and being extremely disappointed with its impact on my existing SQ, I am hoping that JohnW can bring his extensive expertise to bear on the decrapification of USB;

2) Did and returned it;

3) Music fan since most of the components that are or have been in my system have had extensive residences...in many cases more than 10 years; Not that I cannot afford to upgrade but more-so not happy with what competition offers;

Good questions Harry.

I guess, had I known what would happen, I would not have gone in but I’m a big boy and I was aware this outcome was a possibility. I don’t expect anything anymore, but if the FDAC ever happens I’ll consider it a bonus. I am fortunate in that I can afford to lose the dosh.

1) Actually, I really do have high expectations - John has given me great confidence that he is not just an engineer, but someone who deeply understands this field and relies on his ear as much as his technical skill and ability to measure, test and improve etc.

2) I wish I spent less time waiting to do so. In the end I did and then I stop caring as much. EQ was my goal to address room modes, and I’ve achieved that now with a Dspeaker AM 2.0.

3) Music fan more than equipment fan, but the MDAC is (was) excellent, his support has been pretty amazing, his connection with the community was very attractive answering many questions and giving all sorts of worthy guidance and the upgrades he offered to many were really well received. These upgrades can be found in speaker crossovers and amplifiers, and can sound significant so the logic is pretty sound that his product would be good.

As someone who has ‘arrived’ when it comes to amp and speakers, I do love the idea that I could end my search for any other part of my system. My enthusiasm is pretty much gone now, and so it appears it is left to a handful of super fans to provide momentum. I do hope it makes it, but I think it would be daft to rest any hopes on that outcome - many others saw this long before I did, but skin in the game will bias your views.

Once John started muting credible criticism I felt that was probably the point where the legitimacy of the project was compromised for me.

I believe things are finally coming together. The machinery in-house is a serious investment and more hardware coming this week :)

I’m biding my time. I’ve waited what amounts to several years now, and when my MDAC died I decided that it wasn’t worth paying to have it repaired only to ultimately have the guts replaced by MDAC2 anyway, so I bought a Brooklyn. It’s definitely a better DAC (sonically) than the L2 Toy MDAC was, but I am sure that the MDAC2 will be extremely good and perhaps may even be better. At that point, I will have first-rate DAC capabililties in both systems and will be basically done.

It would, of course, be good to have a definitive end in sight for delivery of the MDAC2....

Thanks for the replies. I hope that whatever products you are all down for will appear soon and they will live up to your expectations.

And good luck to John. Obviously a perfectionist and thoroughly decent man.

I'll continue to watch with interest.

Sure. I have a Cinema Source/PreAmp-OPPO BDP-105 direct into an NCore NC500 Stereo Amplifier, to Monitor Audio PL200 Loudspeakers (amongst other power amps into Center and Rear MA Loudspeakers)...

The MDAC2 will sit inbetween the OPPO and Stereo NCore Amplifier - with Bypass enabled, the Cinema signal passes through the MDAC2 passively, with Bypass disabled (MDAC2 just needs to be powered ON) then the DAC is sending signal to the Amplifier and Loudspeakers

(So you get the best of both worlds in one system)
So the does the Oppo output 5 analog channels, 2 of which (the front L and R ) go through the MDACs AV bypass, whilst the other 3 channels go direct to the power amps that drive the centre and rear speakers?

Correct Sir

Oppo BDP-105D has XLR option for L&R channel, which should work nicely with this MDAC2 in-between as a Bypass

I like clean and simples...I also have mild EQ on the Subwoofer only (built-in EQ on the SVS SB13 Ultra) :)

1. add me to the list of FB refuseniks who have been bothered enough to note the fact here, and who resents being on the second class information distribution.
2. I will now re-enter my narcoleptic trance waiting for my Detox.

1. add me to the list of FB refuseniks who have been bothered enough to note the fact here, and who resents being on the second class information distribution.
2. I will now re-enter my narcoleptic trance waiting for my Detox.

Enjoyed reading your post...nicely put...:D

I'm sure John will post here once the Devdacs are shipped. From FB I see John is revisiting the various clocks while expecting (imminently) and making ready for the solder reflow oven.

Still don't get FB...maybe I need to watch a youtube tutorial if I can get a strong stick to bite on during the process.

Quick question, is there a display brightness control hidden away on the MDAC menu, my screen has suddenly gone all but invisible unless the room is pitch black. still sounds fine.

Newer firmwares feature the "Display Mode" setting which allows for "Auto dimming" mode

1. The product I signed up for has changed back and forth over the years, so this is a difficult one, but I suspect that whatever I might eventually get, I could equal its quality with a currently available product (see 2 below).

2. I did (Mytek - Brooklyn in one system, Manhattan II in another).

3. Music, but I also like playing with HiFi.

As you have posted before, following this thread is interesting, but I think, like horse racing, it's much more fun if you have some money riding on it!

Also, it’s the only DAC on the market (or yet to be) with a true AVBypass, essential to integrating Stereo and Home Cinema, in my case and for a few others.

It's not now, the Mytek Manhattan II has a true AV bypass with the current firmware.

As I'm still struggling with the DevDAC clocks, the Ministreamer will be the first unit to go into production as soon as the Solder stencils return from being modified by Laser next week.

I have chassis and components here for 20 units (we will keep a few units for ourselves) - but I have only interest in two units so far, so it be helpful to have a few more orders for these first Beta units at a special price of GBP300 + shipping, this is a GBP200 saving on the standard price.

The Beta units will be production standard, but supplied without the correct shipping packaging (I've not had the time to design the packaging) - also the software is beta release, so expect a few bugs as we act upon beta feedback to correct the issues reported to us... The software updates will be implemented via "Over the Air" from our servers...

FEATURES:

● Playback of all major file formats: PCM up to 32bits / 384 kHz and DSD128 (DSD256 Native)

● Playback from local storage, from USB drive or NAS

● Dirble and Shoutcast WebRadio directories

● Bluetooth playback support

● UPNP renderer capability

● ROON Ready Endpoint

● Tidal and Spotify connect

● CD Playback and ripping support via USB CD Drive

● Favorites and playlists handling

● Multi-device selection from UI

● Multi-language UI

● First configuration Wizard

● OTA - Over The Air updates and also via USB

● Detox'ed USB pass-through

● 1080P HDMI Video Output

● 2x Host USB ports (total 1.5A for all post combined)

● Low Jitter, RF filtered output with 1A low noise +5V supply.

● Controlled via App (iOS & Android) or via any web interface

● Direct Monitor / keyboard interface

● Clock Synchronized LAN and USB – Low jitter USB Master clock

● Multiple Cascoded RF filtered regulator stages for ultra high external noise isolation

The Ministreamer is supplied with a "Get you going" 1A 18V switching supply - due to EU "Green" 0.5W standby legislation its now illegal to supply an external linear PSU.

However, there is nothing to stop a customer purchasing a suitable linear supply from a third partly such as (I've not tested these PSU so cannot vouch for them, but they look OK from the pictures):-

https://www.ebay.com/…/25VA-Low-Noise-Linear-…/112703335288…

The supplied PSU will get you going, you can try a linear PSU as a possible upgrade.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back