advertisement

The Death of an Audiophile?

I find the Derelict Places forum to be fascinating. I never imagined that there are a bunch of "derelict spotters" who go around sneaking into old abandoned buildings, photographing stuff inside and then documenting it all on a forum. I also find it intriguing that these places don't seem to be plundered, given that some of the remnant objects obviously have some monetary value.

It is a really cool site. I'd come across it before as someone did a photo set on the now long knocked down and gone mental hospital where I had my first proper job (link). I remember well how it looked in 1981-2 when it was fully functioning and full of patients, I have many memories from there. It is very strange to see it in such a decayed state.

Sad and lovely at the same time. A bit like the photos of the turbines before they stripped them out at what is now Tate Modern.

The phone on the wall in the hallway is indicating to me that this was definitely an ex muso's home.

Dare i say it that I would have been tempted to take the audio gear home with me!

Once the developers move in the whole lot will get skipped without a second thought.

It is a really cool site. I'd come across it before as someone did a photo set on the now long knocked down and gone mental hospital where I had my first proper job (link). I remember well how it looked in 1981-2 when it was fully functioning and full of patients, I have many memories from there. It is very strange to see it in such a decayed state.

For anyone else who enjoys such things, 28dayslater is also well worth a look.

There are several of these websites - based on what places they visit that I happen to know, a great deal of what is written is pure fantasy and nonsense.

As for the "history" of any place, at all, who owns what and when is a matter of public record (land registry) - so long as you have an accurate address/postcode, looking such things up online takes but a very few minutes - there is no mystery , as such, at all.

There are several of these websites - based on what places they visit that I happen to know, a great deal of what is written is pure fantasy and nonsense.

As for the "history" of any place, at all, who owns what and when is a matter of public record (land registry) - so long as you have an accurate address/postcode, looking such things up online takes but a very few minutes - there is no mystery , as such, at all.

So, who owns it then?

Such shots afford pause for thought - at once one can feel both relieved and horrified at the transience of all things.

Nevertheless, his (i'm assuming a 'he') belongings afford insight into his passions and interests - perhaps not even too illogical a leap to assume a general world-view and outlook. And all from earthly possessions -what brings most of us right here to this very sub-forum.

Enjoy your stuff, for you can't take it with you...

I dont know how attached you are to your hifi gear, cds and LPs - the thought that they might end up like that gear, when they have given so much pleasure and entertainment doesnt make me feel good. So for the older people here what are your plans to not allow that to happen?

Have instructed my solicitor that I should be cremated on a pyre of my equipment/records, and cleaning fluid to be used as an accelerant.

At some point, I will cull and start reducing everything to essentials. I do not know yet what the "essentials" should comprise but I guess a big chunk of my music collection will need to go together with the gear not regularly used, and moving into a much smaller space.

So, who owns it then?

Know the address? I didn't see it as I quickly skimmed through, if it is there, just go to the Land Registry website yourself, it won't take long, and is free. When I last used it I am pretty sure that browsing back through previous owners (to the date, that I can't remember, when records were uploaded), was simplicity itself. Downloading documents costs money though.

I find the Derelict Places forum to be fascinating. I never imagined that there are a bunch of "derelict spotters" who go around sneaking into old abandoned buildings, photographing stuff inside and then documenting it all on a forum. I also find it intriguing that these places don't seem to be plundered, given that some of the remnant objects obviously have some monetary value.

The hobby is known as urban exploration, there is an unofficial code of conduct which is summarised as "take only photographs, leave only footprints", any explorer worth their salt wouldn't take anything or damage anything.

I remember Deva, it decayed quite significantly between the earliest urbex visits and the last ones, abandonment isn't kind to buildings, if they are spared from vandalism, nature will do its thing.

For anyone else who enjoys such things, 28dayslater is also well worth a look.

Love that site, I posted a couple of reports on there myself long ago, they've long disappeared into the abyss now and it's unlikely I'll be able to post any more reports now since I can't walk without sticks. I used to love exploring old places and it's the thing I miss most since losing my mobility.

Ah, 28dayslater . .

I love urbex. Not done it for ages now, but found my first 'report' on the site here

God I'm so old

That Hammond organ would be worth a small fortune if it wasn't a ruin.

I doubt it. It's got drawbars, but it's one of the later transistor ones, judging by the built-in cassette. Such can be found at the local Goodwill for next to nothing.

advertisement

Back