advertisement

The Death of an Audiophile?

That's rather chilling - many similarities to the way my house may look ten years after my death.

In fact if I'm honest it's not far off how my house looks right now.

You'd have thought someone would've sold it after the owner's death, rather than leave it to fall into disrepair. Very odd indeed.

Wonder why all the music stuff is left there but few other household items? Maybe music was that person's life and they didn't own a lot else. I found those pictures disproportionately sad.

That Carlsboro valve head is pretty damned rare and actually quite sought after. I'm assuming it's the gold fronted panel 50.

The Farfisa keyboard looks fairly interesting too, may well be the type Can used.

Looking at the gear in general, it's all of a period which suggests it was possibly a band that had some success or maybe even signed a deal and that was their retreat as was the fashion back in the late 60s and early 70s. The WEM PA head and Italian echo, of which a mate of mine has one, were not cheap. It looks like the sort of place someone such as Caravan or The Strawbs, used to have to write stuff together.

Yup - it's a Professional Duo.

Also used by Jimmy Jackson of Amon Duul II / Passport / Tangerine Dream fame.

I know a bloke in California who'd fly over and row that back to the USA if it is that particular model. Funny thing with the Can connection, I remember seeing Karoli using one of those Carslboro Valve amps.

Only a successful band would have had gear like that. I wonder if this was the contents of a stolen equipment van?

I find the Derelict Places forum to be fascinating. I never imagined that there are a bunch of "derelict spotters" who go around sneaking into old abandoned buildings, photographing stuff inside and then documenting it all on a forum. I also find it intriguing that these places don't seem to be plundered, given that some of the remnant objects obviously have some monetary value.

Stolen equipment van - you better change the thread title then ... "The death of an audiophile thief"
There is an eerie beauty in these pictures and possibly a sad story that would be worthwhile digging out.
So which is it?
- an abandoned and forgotten band retreat - because the band broke up and the house was nobody's responsibility (not even the manager's ...)
- a musical thief's house
- a touring musician's house abandoned when X happened
Or ...?

advertisement

Back