1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Death of an Audiophile?

Discussion in 'audio' started by mercalia, Sep 14, 2017.

1. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

2. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

That's rather chilling - many similarities to the way my house may look ten years after my death.

In fact if I'm honest it's not far off how my house looks right now.

3. Still

Still gyldengourd

A bake off turned ugly?

4. Moonbuggy

Moonbuggy Active Member

Nice photography with some touching images.
    I'm sure that Kingsmill will be alright toasted.

5. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

The amps are guitar amps, maybe the owner was a musician.

6. mfav

mfav Member

YOu should never put your bread in the fridge

7. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

You'd have thought someone would've sold it after the owner's death, rather than leave it to fall into disrepair. Very odd indeed.

8. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

There is a certain eerie beauty in those photos.

9. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Wonder why all the music stuff is left there but few other household items? Maybe music was that person's life and they didn't own a lot else. I found those pictures disproportionately sad.

10. pmac

pmac lovesrecordplayers

Who said he's dead? He might have just popped out to the shop for a fresh loaf.

11. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

That Carlsboro valve head is pretty damned rare and actually quite sought after. I'm assuming it's the gold fronted panel 50.

12. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Nice pair of P5s in the garden, too.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Farfisa keyboard looks fairly interesting too, may well be the type Can used.

14. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

seems like the ruin is going to get a few visits with a lorry ;)

15. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Looking at the gear in general, it's all of a period which suggests it was possibly a band that had some success or maybe even signed a deal and that was their retreat as was the fashion back in the late 60s and early 70s. The WEM PA head and Italian echo, of which a mate of mine has one, were not cheap. It looks like the sort of place someone such as Caravan or The Strawbs, used to have to write stuff together.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Yup - it's a Professional Duo.

Also used by Jimmy Jackson of Amon Duul II / Passport / Tangerine Dream fame.

17. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

I know a bloke in California who'd fly over and row that back to the USA if it is that particular model. Funny thing with the Can connection, I remember seeing Karoli using one of those Carslboro Valve amps.

18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Only a successful band would have had gear like that. I wonder if this was the contents of a stolen equipment van?

19. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I find the Derelict Places forum to be fascinating. I never imagined that there are a bunch of "derelict spotters" who go around sneaking into old abandoned buildings, photographing stuff inside and then documenting it all on a forum. I also find it intriguing that these places don't seem to be plundered, given that some of the remnant objects obviously have some monetary value.

20. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Stolen equipment van - you better change the thread title then ... "The death of an audiophile thief"
    There is an eerie beauty in these pictures and possibly a sad story that would be worthwhile digging out.
    So which is it?
    - an abandoned and forgotten band retreat - because the band broke up and the house was nobody's responsibility (not even the manager's ...)
    - a musical thief's house
    - a touring musician's house abandoned when X happened
    Or ...?