advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

@ff1d1l No need to appologise, thats the answer I expected, but I had to ask :D I imagine it sounds lovely with the Altec 16" cones, shame they seem equally as rare.

@flatpopely, if you have the cash and space you wouldn't regret it, UK spec are extremely rare! And beats the 1010 hands down imo.

@ff1d1l Thats the answer I expected, but I had to ask :D

@flatpopely, if you have the cash and space you wouldn't regret it, UK spec are extremely rare! And beats the 1010 hands down imo.
Yes, I was told by the vendor there were no uk release or sales, any made to uk spec were by way of favours to executives. I'd have thought only a handful were made - real rarities. The only other pair I've seen were here
http://www.reddiamondaudio.net/

Yes @hempknight, the Ureis aren't too common either....more in the US but seeing as shipping would be prohibitive...

This might amuse

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12303-Urei-Theater&

Yes, I was told by the vendor there were no uk release or sales, any made to uk spec were by way of favours to executives. I'd have thought only a handful were made - real rarities. The only other pair I've seen were here
http://www.reddiamondaudio.net/

Yes @hempknight, the Ureis aren't too common either....more in the US but seeing as shipping would be prohibitive...

This might amuse

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12303-Urei-Theater&

Didn't know that, I feel a little more priviliged to own the amp now, and more curious as to what else was in the system from the house clearence....

That's an awesome cinema set up with all those Ureis, I use much cheaper Tannoy 'Sixes' DC's in my surround set up, really makes sense with the single point source.

Have you ever seen the matching JVC speakers, they look truely stunning.

2039a066563e3e120b196d56e666cfdd.jpg

Mmm...wonder what was in the clearance system...could have been very tasty.

The system mine was in was using B & W 803s, or similar, anyway B & W floor standers. He sold the speakers separately, but there was a turntable too, a JVC QL 66Y, which I got with the amps and still use. It has JVCs version of the biotracer arm. And a magnetic bearing on the platter, you know, a not quite levitating job. It sounded pretty good as it came but after reading stuff on the net I deadened the plinth and reinforced the area between the arm and bearing, to considerable good effect. Bought some silly feet too, but not so sure they did much....

Well, if you went for the German speakers at least uk voltage wouldn't be a consideration!

Dont know the sx 911 at all, but they look pretty good....JBL - ish!

Anyone close to Warwick/West Midlands that would help me get a listen to a JVC 1010?! Feel the need to try before I buy....

Mmm...wonder what was in the clearance system...could have been very tasty.

The system mine was in was using B & W 803s, or similar, anyway B & W floor standers. He sold the speakers separately, but there was a turntable too, a JVC QL 66Y, which I got with the amps and still use. It has JVCs version of the biotracer arm. And a magnetic bearing on the platter, you know, a not quite levitating job. It sounded pretty good as it came but after reading stuff on the net I deadened the plinth and reinforced the area between the arm and bearing, to considerable good effect. Bought some silly feet too, but not so sure they did much....

Well, if you went for the German speakers at least uk voltage wouldn't be a consideration!

Dont know the sx 911 at all, but they look pretty good....JBL - ish!

Looks like a beautiful deck, the biotracer type arm is interesting, and a magnetic bearing, they really made some of their best equipment in the 80's.

I'm very happy with the sx 911's, their from 1988, so their built with similar tech to the ealier 'zero' speakers. Their the biggest speakers I've owned, the 12" carbon fiber woofer produces fantastic and controlled bass.

Sometimes I wish I'd kept quiet about JVC.

A pair of SX911 at £366 with days to go on eBay.

Few years ago I saw a mint pair for £250 in Harrogate......20 miles from me.

Are these any good? They're a good size.

Some specs.

SX-911:
Super Digifine speaker system
— 12" cloth carbon woofer
— 4-1/2" fine cloth carbon midrange
— 1" amorphous diamond coated tweeter
— 150 watts power handling 300 max
— Weight: 62.8 lbs
— Width: 15" Height: 26 3/16" Depth: 13 7/8"

-Sealed enclosure
-91dB sensitivity
-6ohm
-40Hz-50 000Hz
X-over 500Hz and 4kHz
-Alnico magnets
-Ellipse front baffle

Would love to try these but there's no way the hifi is having something of their size in the lounge. I had much bigger speakers when I wasn't married.

advertisement

Back