advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Just because hi-fi made silly prices in its heyday (and still does with the right label), doesn't necessarily make the used lower prices asked for now at all reasonable.

Hi Guys,

yes it was me who bought the most recent one on Ebay. :)

Just wondering about the optimum power consumption rating of the transformer I need to buy ? On P5 of this thread a few are mentioned with a minimum of 500Va. The JVC manual notes power consumption at 860W but with the conversion factor of W to Va the latter value will be higher?!

So I'm reckoning (looking at the Airlink stuff) I need at least the 1000Va or even 1500Va transformer.

I also wondered if anyone buying transformers on here had had issues with hum as its more likley the bigger the transformer.

Can anyone offer any clarity please...

Thanks

Dave

I went for a 1500w transformer but I know some on here went for a 1000w. I thought a little extra headroom wouldn't be a bad thing. No hums here and my mains are pretty poor and have caused hums in other equipment.

I went for a 1500w transformer but I know some on here went for a 1000w. I thought a little extra headroom wouldn't be a bad thing. No hums here and my mains are pretty poor and have caused hums in other equipment.

Always better to be over rated imo. Might be also worth giving it the once over, checking for bad caps etc, even if it's NOS, those caps are still pushing 30 ;)

Always better to be over rated imo. Might be also worth giving it the once over, checking for bad caps etc, even if it's NOS, those caps are still pushing 30 ;)

As well as the caps it's well worth checking the bias is set correctly too. Mine was NOS but the bias was some way off.

I bought a 1500w version of this. Not sure I bought from Amazon but it was about £70.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ok I have to admit my ignorance - what is bias and how do you check it?

OTOH I ought to have competent person look it over - I'm near Coventry if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks

Cheers Dave

OTOH I ought to have competent person look it over - I'm near Coventry if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks

Cheers Dave

You'll need to get someone who knows about amps to give it the once over. Had mine (must be 25+ years old) recently checked and everything was just fine, apart from a 2db variation in the channel outputs which is quite hard to hear. The 1010TNs are very fiddly to open up properly BTW. I use the K2 dac and compared to the Auralic Mini dac it is more full blooded and valve like without any lack of bass weight and definition that you often get with valves.

Thanks

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave.

I can do the bias for you.

Andrew

I'd normally have snapped this up in a flash (although it looks like that despite the description there is quite a large scratch on the fascia), but I am very satisfied with my now very well-fettled Z711.

Description translates as :

Demonstration unit from HIFI-Studio! "HIGH-END Classics"
New in original box - used for demonstration purposes only.
Original factory price 799, - Euro

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/jvc-ax-z1010tn-superdigifine/732536087-172-8159

Lowest price I've ever seen, so it'll likely be gone fast.

Edit : yep, gone in just a few hours...

advertisement

Back