advertisement

Quad 77 cd question

Lee T

pfm Member
Just picked up a Quad 77 cd & amp (cd is bus version) very nice too BTW

I linked my old Rotel cd player earlier via the source 1 input, just to have a quick comparison, just for the fun of it, the volume level was considerably higher through the Rotel when compared to the Quad player through the Quad link,

According to the literature on the player, it has a 2v output, my Rotel has the same, by comparison, it sound's more like a 1v output, the difference is that large,

Does anyone here know why this is, is it a fault with the player maybe.

IIRC there were two versions, one Quad Link only, the other with standard RCAs. Maybe the literature you have refers to the standard RCA version? I know nothing about Quad Link so don't know the voltages etc, but it exists for a complete system hook-up with the rest of the 77 range. .

I have no idea as I don't have the remote, the system arrived this morning.

I would have thought that once the amp was switched off at the switch, this would reset the input sensitivity across all 3 inputs, .or am i wrong.

If the sensitivity has been changed on the source 1 input, then this would be fine as it means the Quad player is functioning as it should, I was concerned the player may have a problem.

I will check the other inputs tomorrow to see if they too are much louder.

Is there a way to change the sensitivity without the remote, some insider knowledge maybe.

I have no idea as I don't have the remote, the system arrived this morning.

I would have thought that once the amp was switched off at the switch, this would reset the input sensitivity across all 3 inputs, .or am i wrong.

The settings, once changed by the remote, stay that way, they do not revert to a default setting on power down from the mains. Many of the functions are only accessible with the remote and unfortunately these are quite hard to come by.
I sourced one from a Quad forum member in New Zealand and fitted new batteries to get it working. Unfortunately it has since stopped and I can't ressurrect it. Quad probably could.
Good luck.

having owned the 77 duo with the bus-only CD version I can say that on all inputs the factory setting is 300mV. that is, if not changed, CD sources with their ~2V signals are louder than any other source. of the bus-only 77 CD-player, I'm pretty sure that regardless of what the literature says the bus-output is not 2V - and this is why the volume is lower> hence, no problem with the player. moreover, you can't change the sensitivity of input 1 where, if connected via the bus, the CD-player automatically is switched to. finally, if you can find a working RC (unfortunately all seem to be go dead sooner or later) change the sensitivity on all inputs for 775mV> the sonics will be more fluid and transparent - more 'audiophile' if you like. good luck, mate

The settings, once changed by the remote, stay that way, they do not revert to a default setting on power down from the mains. Many of the functions are only accessible with the remote and unfortunately these are quite hard to come by.
I sourced one from a Quad forum member in New Zealand and fitted new batteries to get it working. Unfortunately it has since stopped and I can't ressurrect it. Quad probably could.
Good luck.

Do they use one of the standard sets of codes for remote controls?

No the remote is a unique, two way device, so it not only controls the equipment but it also displays what the various settings are.

So the mimic the remote we'd either need to have the relevant info or capture the patterns radiated and then be able to arrange a device to replicate them? That would presumably mean having someone involved who has a working system and take a fair bit of effort. But given that effort, something like an RPi with a set of receivers and emitters might do the job. Question then is if anyone felt it worth the effort.

advertisement

Back