advertisement

MQA arrives on Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
There still seems to be a confusion about whether the desktop app unpacks MQA at all (or at least to a non- MQA dac.)
Aside from that it's nice to see people enjoying themselves.

I'm pretty sure it is. As I mentioned on the M-DAC thread most come though as 24/96, others at 24/88.2. I've not seen any other rates so far, though that's not to say they're not out there.

There still seems to be a confusion about whether the desktop app unpacks MQA at all (or at least to a non- MQA dac.)

If Tidal did the whole unpack there would be nothing for an MQA enabled DAC to do and no reason to mention MQA enabled DACs on their website and no reason for manufacturers to MQA enable their DACs, or to pay the license fees.

The software has a checkbox that states 'Pass-though MQA - disables software decoding of MQA'.

Settings > streaming > 'settings' option on sound card in use.

So that would seem to state the yes, TIDAL desktop unpacks MQA.

The software has a checkbox that states 'Pass-though MQA - disables software decoding of MQA'.

Settings > streaming > 'settings' option on sound card in use.

So that would seem to state the yes, TIDAL desktop unpacks MQA.

But it doesn't mean they fully unpack it - people with MQA enabled DACs are getting different results when they turn that setting on and off.

I was very lucky this Christmas as my dad gave my wife and I decent sum of money for a present (he doesn't normally do this, but he found out at the beginning of 2016 that he has cancer )

Anyway, I have replaced my Sonos connect with a Bluesound Node 2 and I put it into my hifi yesterday.

I have also decided to switch to Tidal hifi from Spotify premium and this morning I have been listening to some of the MQA albums and they sound great!

So far I have listened to Hunting High and Low by A-ha and I am now listening to Parachutes by Coldplay.

The MQA stamp is coming up in the Bluesound app and my Rega DAC-R is showing a 96khz signal.

I am very happy :)

If Tidal did the whole unpack there would be nothing for an MQA enabled DAC to do and no reason to mention MQA enabled DACs on their website and no reason for manufacturers to MQA enable their DACs, or to pay the license fees.

For Tidal that would be correct, not necessarily for other sources of MQA though.

My guess would be that Tidal's doing a partial unpack (no I don't know what that is either), if they were doing a full unpack there'd be no need for the desktop app to have an 'MQA pass through' option to pass the original bitstream to the DAC for DAC decoding.

Thoroughly enjoying myself listening to all sorts of stuff on my desktop system.

Really glad I chose an explorer 2, seems to come alive with the MQA stuff, may be expectation bias but honestly couldn't care.

Tidal and MQA is the best hifi related thing in ages, the level of forum interest across many different ones must back that up, and the number of negative views is really small, if very vocal :)

I guess I'd like to get the insight into the theory from someone who has also experienced what they are theorising about, rather than being told "it's probably EQ" or some variant of that which I think people who've experienced it would agree is unlikely.

Chris,

What makes you think Jim and I haven't experienced what we are "theorising" about? I have stated that I both see and hear a difference. It's just that I don't have the arrogance to claim I can tell by just listening exactly what is causing the difference.

The MQA stamp is coming up in the Bluesound app and my Rega DAC-R is showing a 96khz signal.

I am very happy :)

Do try / compare the analogue outputs from the Node to benefit from the full unfolding done internally by the Node as the digital MQA output is only opened partially (to work with "most" DACs) and requires an MQA certified DAC for full benefit.

EDIT Rats Krenzier beat me to it!

I'm trying it this morning, all seems to be working correctly and looks fine easy to navigate etc.

I am comparing some 'Masters albums' to some copies from my hard drive - Blue DCC CD, Minute By Minute (US Vinyl Rip) and Zep 4 (US Vinyl Rip).

I'm seeing 'Master' on the screen below the tracks and the DAC is seeing 44khz. Playback setting in Tidal is 'Hi Fi Master' - is there anything I'm missing here?

I'm seeing 'Master' on the screen below the tracks and the DAC is seeing 44khz. Playback setting in Tidal is 'Hi Fi Master' - is there anything I'm missing here?

In Settins>Streaming if you hover the mouse to the right of the selected sound output you'll see a cog icon. Click on that and make sure 'Use Exclusive Mode' is selected.

As I understand it - please correct me if I have got it wrong:

The software-based MQA decoding we got via the Tidal Desktop app upgrade is for the D/A conversion in the computer, i.e. for users who plug their headphones directly into the headphone socket of their laptops/computers (probably the majority of users). This may explain why it only works for the desktop app but not for the tablet or mobile phone version of the app, as the decoding process seems to be computationally intensive, as some people have reported.

The signal coming out your USB socket still has MQA encoded (unless you explicitly switch it off in the app), and then it's up to the DAC if it can decode the MQA part. Even if you have a non-MQA DAC, it would still profit from the MQA process applied to compensate for any artefacts (temporal blurring, as MQA calls it) during the A/D conversion*, but obviously it cannot compensate for any artefacts during the D/A conversion.

If your DAC is flexible enough (i.e. it allows changes to its software/firmware) it can be made to apply MQA decoding at a later stage via upgrades, since the filter seems to be software based. Examples are the forthcoming Weiss DAC501, the Audio Quest DACs, or the Mytek, which (IIRC) didn't have the MQA decoding capability from the get-go, but only got it with a later firmware upgrade.

As others have commented, the issue for many manufacturers is that they need to communicate the inner workings of their DACs to MQA so that MQA can design a decoding filter specifically for their DAC. This is probably less of a problem if you are one of the 90% (?) of manufactueres who just use an off the shelf chip like the ESS Sabre, but more of a problem if you are doing something highly proprietary like Chord or dCS (if it is technically possible at all). I can see how companies such as these are somewhat reluctant to hand over the crown jewels to a third party company like MQA.

Hope this makes sense?

*MQA claims they can apply their process retroactively to older recordings, if they know what kind of A/D conversion was used during the recording.

In Settins>Streaming if you hover the mouse to the right of the selected sound output you'll see a cog icon. Click on that and make sure 'Use Exclusive Mode' is selected.

Thanks, that reduces the level and the auto sample rate now works. Bit 'hidden' for such an important setting that one. ;)

It makes comparison with the desktop player tedious though as it has to be reversed each time.

Chris,

What makes you think Jim and I haven't experienced what we are "theorising" about? I have stated that I both see and hear a difference. It's just that I don't have the arrogance to claim I can tell by just listening exactly what is causing the difference.

Julf,

Here are your initial posts on this thread...

1. Shame that they don't have the same mastering version in both MQA and non-MQA - are they afraid to allow direct comparison?
2. It could still be a con. Do we know the versions are from the same originals, at the same level, and EQ'd the same?
3. Don't confuse sceptical with miserable. Just because I don't happen to be naive and gullible doesn't mean everything is gloom and doom. And in any case, if you expect the worst, you are always positively surprised
4. Worth re-reading: Archimago's blog: MQA
5. I have heard similar things said about some simple EQ too...

So we reach that point without any indication that you've got listening experience. Then, a range of other posts until we reach...

"I haven't said I can't hear a difference - it is just unclear what is causing the difference (and if it is an actual improvement). As I have written, I can also see a difference (that supposedly shouldn't be there)."

Again, you actually don't say you can hear a difference. I haven't seen on this thread posts from you (or Jim) that talks about your actual experience of listening to the Tidal service.

What are you hearing? How would you describe the differences you're then trying to explain? Once we understand what you are hearing, then it would great to get your view on what might be causing this.

The reason I think this is important? Because the "soundstage" is, for me, one of the most impressive differences with the MQA in place. And the discussion would include reference to timing differences in the playback and accept that Frequency Response graphs might not provide the full picture.

Seanm said he wanted "to hear from people who have some insight into what might be behind those experiences". I want to make sure we are all talking about the same experiences, not just a theory-based discussion on "file and measurement differences".

Hope that makes sense.

Chris

What is obvious from my own experiences, the experiences of others and the general tenor of this thread this is a right fcuk about and even very computer savvy bods seem to be having issues.

To go down this route I'd need to buy a Mac (I detest PCs of any kind), an MQA DAC, various cables and a subscription to Tidal. So, an initial investment of a few grand and a £20 a month subscription which will obviously rise when tidal introduce three levels to their pricing.

What will I get for this? A load of technical hassle and stress that I don't need, an empty bank account and SQ that may or may not sound significantly better than I get ATM.

On the other hand, sticking a CD in my machine is stress free and some of them sound brilliant (depending on mastering and original recording). Best of all I can but CDs for as little as 1p from Amazon.

I realise this might seem a cynical view but I really don't want to fanny about with computers, software etc. I just want to listen to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back