advertisement

The tide is turning

I have several Pro 4's for sale. New, unopened with new unopened Type Covers.

i5, 256GB 8GB RAM, and i7, 256GB 8GB RAM.

Good prices too.

Anyone interested is welcome to PM me.

(hope it's OK to say this Tony).

Gary, any tips on moving from OSX to Windows 10? Will I need to spend half a day deleting crapware? How simple / minimal can you make the interface? How about moving my mac mail mailboxes over?

Dan, I dont have it yet. To be clear this is not the start of a migration to windows! I have windows computers and have had so for at least a decade, windows ten is not actually very good so this has not been the deciding factor for a change, the desktop apps have been.

However I can confirm that the microsoft surface does not appear to come with any crapware, this is important to me as well. As for mac mail boxes do you mean icloud? My understanding is that there is software from apple to integrate icloud into windows. I tried this around 5 years ago and it was not a pleasant experience but I am happy to try again.

There are options for photos across different devices so I am not worried about that and onenote or similar will handle the main bulk of what this device is for.

Thanks. I hope buying a Windows 10 DVD means the amount of crapware bundling is reduced.

Well, the OS should not matter for almost all content I have that's not part of the OS or applications. Photos, documents, music just sit in folders and they can be on a NAS running some kind of unix for all it matters (starting to move most there now). Same goes for browsers - firefox, chrome, etc. run on pretty much anything. Even apple's keynote and pages docs are platform independent since they can now be accessed and manipulated via a browser. Same goes for google docs. So 'migrating' can (theoretically) simply be logging onto a new machine.

But, I've been running the apple mail app for a long, long time, and most of our home mail is locally stored. So, I guess I could try to export the mailboxes, copy them over to the new machine and see if the MS mail app or Thunderbird can open them up. Or is it best to try and push all that oldmail onto the cloud somehow - which cloud though and how? I'm all for centrally locating mail archives. At work, google handles our mail services (paid for, so they aren't allowed to mine mail as they do for free accounts) and our sys admins moved all my mailboxes onto google servers. Now we just access email via a browser. I guess I'm wondering if I should be moving from POP to IMAP. If IMAP, where should I keep the mail?

Sorry I am not totally getting you here do you mean you have a lod of mboxes of apple mail backups?

As I said there is a plugin for outlook that simple loads apple mail, after all its just an imap mail account like any other really.

The reality is for 99.9% of us, if we just speant a few hours and went through our saved emails most of them are utter shite, I wouldn't look at that as a barrier to any other device.

Yeah, I'm probably not making much sense. Our ISP (comcast) was one of the last to offer IMAP and I'm pretty sure we are still using POP. So all our old mail is local to one machine. You're right, I should go through and delete 99% of the old mail. I should also switch our comcast mail settings on the mac to IMAP. It's clear on Windows 10 I should be using IMAP. What I'm asking is if I want to have access to those old folders, do I just go to Library/Mail/V3/Mailboxes and grab all the .mbox files and copy them to Windows 10 machine, where I can open them with any mail application?

Well I don't know if I am honest. There appears to be a tonne of mbox convertors or importers though.

OK, I've messed about a bit - simply dragging an 'On My Mac' mailbox to the 'iCloud' section moved it to the cloud. Will sort out my old mailboxes and drag them there. Then, presumably any imap mail client can read them, including a client running on the incoming windows 10 machine I'm building.

For sure. As much as apple tries to be unique its just an imap mailbox. You should be fine, I'll let you know next week.

I have a 365 subscription so will see how my various mail behaves on outlook which I have not used in anger for some years.

The main concern will be photos integration between apple IOS/OSX and windows. Lightroom is frustratingly shit in this area.

Thanks. I hope buying a Windows 10 DVD means the amount of crapware bundling is reduced.

There should be no crapware with Windows 10 (or 8, or 7) unless you buy a very price competitive prebuilt system from a high street retailer. I am amazed you can buy a Windows 10 DVD as I have only ever seen it as an ISO for download or one a USB stick.

Having said that, Windows 10 is borderline crapware itself in that it loves to phone home and occasionally do shitty things like reset default apps to MS's own. You should read about the privacy settings as some of the defaults are probably not what you want.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...tip-understand-and-configure-privacy-settings

(Thurrott is a bit of a knob and a MSFT shill IMO but you will find lots of good information on using and configuring Windows on his site).

Thanks, Matthew. I'll check that site. I have no idea how they came up with the pricing, but the DVD was $43 off, so $23 dollars less than the download and $33 dollars less than the USB. Go figure.

The Home versions of Windows 10 send alarming amounts of "telemetry" back to Microsoft, even at the highest privacy settings.
You are the product now.

My wife has a Surface Pro 3 (i5 256Gb) and I have been using the Surface 3 for nearly a year now. Both are superb. I chose the Surface 3 as it is small and light enough to be carried with me all the time and I have never needed any more CPU power than the Atom x7-Z8700 provides.

On the thurrot site I found out about NexDock - what a great idea. See their idiegogo campaign here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexdock-the-world-s-most-affordable-laptop--2

I can see traveling with something like this. I use my phone for almost all communication & work on the road, but back in the hotel it's nice to have access to a big screen and keyboard for polishing presentations, ssh'ing back to my workstation, etc.

If Windows 10 really does do the convergence thing well, I can see switching to a windows based phone and having that as my travel computer.

I really hope Microsoft doesn't F*** this up and we get a stable & productive alternative to the Apple world. I'm presently looking into the Win10 phones instead of my iPhone (5s).

The tide is not turning at all.. Apple released some new watchbands and put an iphone 6 into an iPhone 5S body. You cannot innovate better than that!

I really hope Microsoft doesn't F*** this up and we get a stable & productive alternative to the Apple world. I'm presently looking into the Win10 phones instead of my iPhone (5s).

there are already far better alternatives to apple than anything microsoft will ever be able to create (unless they are nationalized by donald trump and he puts richard stallman in charge).

vuk.

there are already far better alternatives to apple than anything microsoft will ever be able to create (unless they are nationalized by donald trump and he puts richard stallman in charge).

vuk.

Is that the reason Microsoft shares are at an all time high ? I wondered what the reason could be.

Is that the reason Microsoft shares are at an all time high ? I wondered what the reason could be.

it's because...

-we are not taught properly about computing in school

-the company has engaged in monopolistic practices

-government and business do not understand IT enough to choose proper systems (that said, the pentagon is rather wise about this and chooses GNU-linux)

-many people value illusions of convenience over freedom

-marketing

etc.

vuk.

advertisement

Back