advertisement

things you would change if you was PM

1. Implement a proportional representation electoral system.
2. Implement a proper constitution and bill of rights.
3. Remove religion entirely from the state and public education and tax it as an entertainment.
4. Lower the voting age to 14.

To my mind that would at least provide the parameters within which a democracy could exist.

100% agree

54b60205e0e57.png

Joe

In both the indicative and the subjunctive it is "you were."

The error is one of conjugation.

"If you were PM" is subjunctive because it is very unlikely that any of us would be PM.

Even if it were likely it would still be "you were" not "you was."

Whenever Steven corrects, I hear a london taxi driver accent. I don't know why, I know he is not in london, but it does give it a good angle.

take charitable status away from private schools.....actually, just ban private schools.

Alternatively increase state school spending to match the subsidy private schools get through charitable status to maintain a level playing field, or a playing field at all as state schools seem to have to flog them to keep going.

100% agree

I think lowering the voting age to 14 is a bad idea because the majority of children so young don't have sufficiently well-developed reasoning skills.

When I was training to be a teacher I remember being warned by my tutors against trying to empathise with the experience of your students based on your memory of being their age because the ability of 90% of your students will be below that of yours when you were their age.

I think this applies to most of us on this board, certainly to Tony. He was certainly politically aware as indeed I was at that age but most 14 to 17 year-old kids just aren't.

This might seem terribly élitist but unfortunately it is reality.

If you have unrealistic expectations of youngsters you set them up for failure. As a teacher, of course, the failure is yours not theirs.

The 14 year old thing was intended to engage young pepple whilst still at school and in a place where they could receive political education. The current system pushes it into the long grass and results in people starting out in life disenfranchised politically. Maybe even weight it, e.g. a <18 vote to be worth 50% that of a >18 vote. The key is to get folk engaged early, which I wasn't to be honest. It was music a little later that made me politically aware.

I would change Prime Minster. I would not be fit for the job. (Might sneak in a few grands worth of pony merch on the public purse before I resigned though)...

...oh and I would keep the free iPad every MP is getting.

I think lowering the voting age to 14 is a bad idea because the majority of children so young don't have sufficiently well-developed reasoning skills.

When I was training to be a teacher I remember being warned by my tutors against trying to empathise with the experience of your students based on your memory of being their age because the ability of 90% of your students will be below that of yours when you were their age.

I think this applies to most of us on this board, certainly to Tony. He was certainly politically aware as indeed I was at that age but most 14 to 17 year-old kids just aren't.

This might seem terribly élitist but unfortunately it is reality.

If you have unrealistic expectations of youngsters you set them up for failure. As a teacher, of course, the failure is yours not theirs.

Modesty never been a fault if yours then?

advertisement

Back