advertisement

We Need Another Circular Debate.

I suppose there is an argument for importing fossil energy if it keeps one's own reserves in the ground as a strategic fallback.

As long as all the kit is in place and in working order and same goes for the staff. But who will pay for that until they are needed?

Coal mining was always done in locations away from the middle and upper classes, it didn't matter if workers houses subsided or that they lived amongst and viewed slag heaps at their every turn.Or that badly located Slag heaps subsided and killed people, it just didn't happen near them so it didn't really matter that much to them.

But horror upon horror, now there's a suggestion of fracking in some nice leafy middle class areas all of a sudden they seem to be interested in the down side of extracting fuel from the earth. If people are that bothered about the extraction of fossil fuels, let them first turn of their lights ,central heating, draw water from local streams, douse the Gas /oil electric fired Aga and cook outside on what natural fuel they can find around their streets.Then and only Then they just might have a right to complain.
oldie

Very naughty of God to not put any significant coal deposits in the South and South East of the UK (apart from a bit in Kent).

Everyone within a 100 mile radius of London is of course Middle Class and a Tory.

Very naughty of God to not put any significant coal deposits in the South and South East of the UK (apart from a bit in Kent).
Better than coal God could have given us both oil & gas, but in addition to oil & gas we were given freewill so the oil and gas were pissed away a generation ago.

Everyone within a 100 mile radius of London is of course Middle Class and a Tory.

Not totally, but just have a look at the political map to see the difference between North and South.

It's also a bit late for the people in the Coal mining areas of the North and Midlands to protest, as they were not given the chance. The Mine owners just tunneled underneath their houses and streets all alike, and then to add insult to injury they then proceeded to dump the waste products in their back yards metaphorically speaking. Whilst they, the Mine owners lived well away from the sound and sight of it all.
Permission or consideration was nether needed or given
oldie

"We must not be diverted by Saudi Arabia's dastardly ploy to push down short-term oil and gas prices"

We don't pay for Saudi oil, never have.....

How does that work then?

Saudi Arabia effectively sets the world oil price.

4% of UK crude oil imports in 2013 were from Saudi Arabia.

What is more important than protecting our diminishing worldwide supply of fresh water?

Fracking threatens our aquifers in new and dangerous ways. It is not just about our drinking water smelling a bit off. Some people living near drilling sites in the US now have so much methane in their water supply that they can actually ignite their taps.

With worldwide drought conditions increasing, the risk/reward ratio for fracking seems way too high to me. But I guess most people will remain apathetic until it effects them directly by ruining the resale value of their homes and land.

iEWoL4_.MVes.jpg

It was faulty well linings not initial fracking which caused the methane contamination. It can happens with ordinary non-fracked wells when things go wrong.

advertisement

Back