advertisement

We Need Another Circular Debate.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Some Tory on Question Time has just tried to justify fracking on the basis that not doing it means importing energy at net loss to the country.

Oddly, the same argument didn't seem to count when the bastards were closing down our coal industry.

Mull

If it's fracking vs importing gas from Russia then perhaps fracking is the lesser of two evils.

Of course, conservation first and foremost, but under no circumstances can the UK afford to be hostage to Russia for its energy needs, given the regressive regime in power in Russia.

I agree WRT coal mines though. That was always a political ploy to destroy a powerful union - nothing to do with energy and economics.

They mined for coal under people's homes?

Yes, and sometimes those homes fell down or had to be demolished due to subsidence. However since it happened up North it was of no consequence. Same with the coal fired power stations - all out of sight of London.

Fracking on the South Downs, though ..... goodness, imagine.

If it's fracking vs importing gas from Russia then perhaps fracking is the lesser of two evils.

Of course, conservation first and foremost, but under no circumstances can the UK afford to be hostage to Russia for its energy needs, given the regressive regime in power in Russia.

I agree WRT coal mines though. That was always a political ploy to destroy a powerful union - nothing to do with energy and economics.

Or importing liquid gas by ship from the M East - the carbon footprint is then bigger than that of fracking.

Bushmills makes everything clearer because drinking Bushmills lets you see how good it is at sorting out what is happening in the world. :)

Fracking on the South Downs, though ..... goodness, imagine.

I live quite close to the South Downs, they could do with livening up a bit.

We have Europe's largest on-shore oil field in Dorset. You'd hardly know it was there and the technology is interesting.

We must not be diverted by Saudi Arabia's dastardly ploy to push down short-term oil and gas prices. Lets get fracking.

Coal is old-hat now, dangerous, and makes a lot of dust.

"We must not be diverted by Saudi Arabia's dastardly ploy to push down short-term oil and gas prices"

We don't pay for Saudi oil, never have.....

Coal was a nationalised industry IIRC.

Tories can get shares in fracking companies.

The fact that we can FRACK regardless of the Nimbys and other dissidents if push comes to shove. It will help keep the price of oil down below where it is economic to explore and develop wells in the UK and other locations.

If the country was starved of oil and gas imports Fracking would become a matter of state survival, and I think a left wing government would be more likely to have the need to impose such a regime than a right wing one.

I suppose there is an argument for importing fossil energy if it keeps one's own reserves in the ground as a strategic fallback.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom