advertisement

Cheap bookshelf speakers

richardg

Admonishtrator
So far, it looks like I might be able to get a pair of Rega Kites, Ditton 121, KEF 102. Mordaunt MS20 for under a hundred quid.

Are there any under-rated classics I should look out for? Not keen on having ports at the back.

Mission 760's

Next question.

xx

:) :) :)

Still can't get past my 20-year hatred for all that harsh trebley stuff they made in the 90s....also was hoping for some more 70s early 80s stuff....paper cones, wood coloured cabs, black grill.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
JPW mini monitors versus Kytes?

It's a no brainer!

I have both and the JPWs are in my loft, the Kytes in system 2.

So far, it looks like I might be able to get a pair of Rega Kites, Ditton 121, KEF 102. Mordaunt MS20 for under a hundred quid.

Are there any under-rated classics I should look out for? Not keen on having ports at the back.

Original Tannoy Mercury Gold, like these currently on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Mercury-M20-MK1-gold-speakers-retro-vintage-circa-1984-/221328750107?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item338838b61b
Lovely speakers, front ported too, wish I still had mine :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another vote for the JPW mini's. Picked up a pair on Freecycle years ago, still sound great in kitchen. For the money, not much comes close.

That seems to be about the price they fetch on eBay. I paid £120 back in '84.

Done, delivered for 70 quid. Just got them now and am pleased to see they are in mint condition....a little bit light for their size but heyho, I had no great expectations regarding sound quality.

Done, delivered for 70 quid. Just got them now and am pleased to see they are in mint condition....a little bit light for their size but heyho, I had no great expectations regarding sound quality.
Excellent. I guess it depends what you're used to listening to, but I still have a soft spot for the pair I used to own :)

They are replacing a pair of Spendor SP2/2...it was the similar looks, size and design that sold them to be fair.

interesting...would it work out if i got an extra sub for the other side? I hate mono subs if i can hear where it is coming from and i suspect the cross over is quite high on these?

It's a passive sub, so yes - just connect each side of the system to one side of each sub. They're easy to find on eBay

Still can't get past my 20-year hatred for all that harsh trebley stuff they made in the 90s....also was hoping for some more 70s early 80s stuff....paper cones, wood coloured cabs, black grill.

I personally own a pair of Mission 760i's and they are very sensitive to the quality of the stands they sit on in order to make them sing without harshness - mine (when I get them out) sit on Partinton Trophy factory filled stands - on the cheaper Atacama stands they sound nowhere near as good. The Partingtons in their day cost more than the 760's (£180 stands - £100 speakers).

And this is from experience of also owning Goodman Mezzos, Celestion Ditton 15's original and XR, and Celestion Ditton 44's. The 760's really are that good on a pair of hi-end stands.

That reminds me - I must start clearing things out and sticking to just the one pair.

I personally own a pair of Mission 760i's and they are very sensitive to the quality of the stands they sit on in order to make them sing without harshness - mine (when I get them out) sit on Partinton Trophy factory filled stands - on the cheaper Atacama stands they sound nowhere near as good. The Partingtons in their day cost more than the 760's (£180 stands - £100 speakers).

And this is from experience of also owning Goodman Mezzos, Celestion Ditton 15's original and XR, and Celestion Ditton 44's. The 760's really are that good on a pair of hi-end stands.

That reminds me - I must start clearing things out and sticking to just the one pair.

These speakers really are going on a bookshelf, though.

I have used a pair of Gennexa Linaeums, ribbon tweeter so very sweet top end.
Mass produced by Radio Shack but the same as a rather more expensive precursor simply called the Linaeum. ... if memory serves...

advertisement

Back